Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Jan 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #106 of 434
Thanks MichaelLaing, that's really helpful and the pics are awesome!

Does the M80 cable sit securely in there, even without engaging with the locking mechanism? If you have chance, could you give me an idea of the diameter of the jack you've had success with? Is the retaining clip spring loaded (ie could be jammed out of the way) or is it a single bit of plastic?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to decide whether to get these or the dt770... Easily replaceable cables without modding could be a plus.

Cheers!

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #107 of 434
Because the M-80 Jack is smaller than the hole it does fit securely into the hole and does not engage the locking mechanism.  .The plastic part of the jack is about 7mm diameter.  There is not spring just plastic.

Badly drawn image

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #108 of 434
That's great, clear and informative. Thanks very much!

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #111 of 434
I am using the m-80 cable.  The 3.5mm jack is thin so I have no problems fitting it into the headphones.  Some of my other cables won't fit though because the 3.5mm jack is too thck and the plug too recessed into the headphones with a bit of plastic sticking out which the beyer cable clamps onto.  So the big thing is finding the right size  3.5 jack,

Top v-moda cable
Bottom COP Cable, with clamp shown (and a bit beaten up due to removal several times, though it still works no problem)

M-80 cable in COP's

A bit off topic but where did you get the velour ear pads? I've been looking everywhere!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #112 of 434
Quote:
A bit off topic but where did you get the velour ear pads? I've been looking everywhere!

You can get them a lot of places. Search for EDT 770 V for silver or EDT 770 VB for black. For example:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46134_Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-V-Replacement-Silver-Velour-Ear-Pads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46133_beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-EDT-770VB-EDT-770-VB-Replacement-Black-Velour-Earpads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #113 of 434
Quote:

You can get them a lot of places. Search for EDT 770 V for silver or EDT 770 VB for black. For example:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46134_Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-V-Replacement-Silver-Velour-Ear-Pads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46133_beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-EDT-770VB-EDT-770-VB-Replacement-Black-Velour-Earpads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

Oh nice! Thank you, didn't think to look at that site

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #114 of 434
I think I ordered the pads from Amazon in the UK, they are on the USA site as well: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT-Replacement-Pads-Pair/dp/B0016MMYKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359538221&sr=8-1&keywords=beyerdynamic+Dt770+pads

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #115 of 434
Morning

Well, I went ahead and ordered a pair and they arrived the other day. I haven't been able to spend a huge amount of time listening to them, but after a brief EQ on my player I think I can safely say I'm enjoying them! They're nice and light, very comfortable, with just the right clamping force for my noggin. I'm thinking about getting the velour pads at some point, especially when the weather clears up and I spend more time outside in them, but for the moment they're fine as they are.

I was a bit worried about the bass ports, but in action they've surprised me a little. I agree with most of the comments on here about the most open setting being overkill, but they're good for adding a dose of fun to the sound on occasion, without resorting to changing EQ settings etc.

All in all, happy with my purchase and looking forward to them burning in/loosening up. I wonder if the burn-in period would be sped up by opening the bass ports, allowing the drivers to flex more freely?

Edit: Anyone know of a case that is available in the UK to protect my new babies? I saw the Slappa hardbody one on Soundprofessionals, but haven't found a UK supplier.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #116 of 434
Hi to all the COP owners.
I am keen to understand if there is much leakage from these headphones. I listen to music every night in bed, so need headphones that keep the sound in without annoying my wife.

I currently use the Amperior and the Momentum, but feel I am maybe missing something due to their portable smaller nature. I also have the DT770AE, but whilst I love the more open and less boxy sound, the DT770AE seems to lack the immediate bass impact I like, despite offering a deeper bass when required - which I do like though. 

The DT770AE keep the sound in (little leakage), but the COP's have the little bass ports, so worried these may imapct on leakage. Also, I was a little dissapointed with the build of the DT770AE as they feel quite cheap. The COP look more solid and rugged. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #117 of 434
The best the wife could offer was "minimal". I tried with the ports open and closed and she said she couldn't really hear a difference in leakage. I can't comment on the other phones, but I'm very pleased with the build quality of my COP's, they seem very well made. Plus, pretty much all of it is replaceable as far as I can work out.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #118 of 434
Thanks Splather. Very kind of you to check with your wife!.
I took the plunge and bought the COP this morning and am now listening to them with Talk Talk 'Spirit of Eden' whilst I type this.
They have the bass impact that was missing with the DT770AE for me. The build quality also feels better due to the matt finish despite being similar in design.
Leakage is identical to DT770AE no matter what bass setting. I am using either setting 2 or 3 or between the two.
Despite the positive reviews of the DT770AE, they are just not for me. Whilst I need some hours on the COP, I feel happier already that they provide a better result for me.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #119 of 434
No worries - she has to put up with a lot worse! I've found the bass ports pretty useful myself, after I set up an EQ, they just add a nice bit of colour. Lovely.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #120 of 434
I've been putting more hours each day working on the break in of my COP headphones.  These are the best headphones I own so I can't criticize them for what they lack in comparison to other models.  Overall I have been very happy with them and have little to complain about.  I will eventually build my collection to include other style of headphones for different occasions and types of listening.  It is so interesting to read such a wide variety of opinions regarding headphones.  Some are loved while the same are disliked with a passion 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back