Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #421 of 434
I would say so, if you want to use your iPhone as the source. Chord Mojo would be ideal in this situation. Alternatively, the COPs sound pretty good plugged straight into a DAP like the AK120II.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #422 of 434
Just got my cop+ and realized that the volume is quiet compare to my 32 ohm xba-n1.... I need to almost max out the volume on both my phone & pc to get my normal listening volume... is this normal or I gotten a defective unit?
The COP isn't very loud but the big issue I found was the cable, which I really do not like. I swapped the Beyerdynamic cable over for a v-moda cable and the sound was louder.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #423 of 434
Hi, I've been suggested this pair of headphones while looking for something closed, warmish (more leaned to the balanced side) and detailed under 150€ (I'd listen mostly metal, rock, instrumental stuff like TSFH, so that's the best compromise to enjoy everything), but reading the discussion it seems that, while on the pros they're comfortable enough to be worn hours, they're a little muddy and not that detailed. Also, someone mention COP as a basshead (word by word "how beats should sound" that I interpreted "actually good sounding bassy headphones"), but not sure if that applies to every set or just 3 and 4. I think I'd set on the 2nd to stay there, if the first post description is accurate.

So, to be s(h)ure: are they clear or not? And do bass prevail on other frequencies?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #424 of 434
Sorry to revive an old thread!
I got the COPs recently out of interest, and as most have observed they are lacking in detail in the highs/mids and sound a bit veiled. Not entirely bad, but not great. Very laid back and sort of "low-fi" on every position.
I was wondering how much DT770 velour pads improve the sound? I've heard that they can clear up the top end a bit and resolve most of the FR issues but would love to hear some first-hand experience, there seems to be little info out there.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #425 of 434
Sorry to revive an old thread!
I got the COPs recently out of interest, and as most have observed they are lacking in detail in the highs/mids and sound a bit veiled. Not entirely bad, but not great. Very laid back and sort of "low-fi" on every position.
I was wondering how much DT770 velour pads improve the sound? I've heard that they can clear up the top end a bit and resolve most of the FR issues but would love to hear some first-hand experience, there seems to be little info out there.

You will find that the sound does improve quite a bit with velour pads. They still won't be the most detailed of headphones but the sound will change quite a bit, with a much wider sound stage, a less bassy sound and better mids in my experience.

It should also be mentioned that you need a lot of burn in time for the headphone, compared with most headphones.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #426 of 434
Bumping this thread.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these and the M40x or M50x.

I'm looking to replace my M40x and the COPs are one of the contenders. I really like the sound of my M40x, but found the M50x to bassy and muddy. Would I like the COPs?

Thanks.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #427 of 434
Just wanted to write about my experience with the Custom Gaming Interactive...yet another version of the COP/COPP. This version comes with a mic, a separate Y adapter and another cable. I've had these now for about a year and I loved them in the beginning. However, I recently came into a set of DT770 Pro's(250ohm). I also have a bit of high frequency hearing loss, so ymmv.

I find the DT770's as my new favorite between the two. Much better clarity and presence up top. Deep and impactful sub-bass with, to me, tighter mid-bass. A wider soundstage. The COPs, in comparison, seem to have a muddier lower end and far less clarity up top. I've opened Pandora's box up, and I can't seem to enjoy the COPs as much anymore.

With that in mind, I've found this page discussing some of the mods someone has success in:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/

So in short, I'll be purchasing the DT770 velour pads as recommended in that site (as well as in this thread). We'll see what that gives me first as I don't mind a brighter tone. If it's too bright of a mod, I'll start with the felt in the cups and see how that effects things...the TP behind the pads will be a last resort. I'll post up my thoughts when I've finished.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #428 of 434
Just wanted to write about my experience with the Custom Gaming Interactive...yet another version of the COP/COPP. This version comes with a mic, a separate Y adapter and another cable. I've had these now for about a year and I loved them in the beginning. However, I recently came into a set of DT770 Pro's(250ohm). I also have a bit of high frequency hearing loss, so ymmv.

I find the DT770's as my new favorite between the two. Much better clarity and presence up top. Deep and impactful sub-bass with, to me, tighter mid-bass. A wider soundstage. The COPs, in comparison, seem to have a muddier lower end and far less clarity up top. I've opened Pandora's box up, and I can't seem to enjoy the COPs as much anymore.

With that in mind, I've found this page discussing some of the mods someone has success in:

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/

So in short, I'll be purchasing the DT770 velour pads as recommended in that site (as well as in this thread). We'll see what that gives me first as I don't mind a brighter tone. If it's too bright of a mod, I'll start with the felt in the cups and see how that effects things...the TP behind the pads will be a last resort. I'll post up my thoughts when I've finished.
I find your take on the DT770 interesting. I too have some high frequency hearing loss as well as mild tinnitus which started about 8 months ago. The COPs are, IMO, the best headphone value for the buck, and I use them to this day, especially plugged into my AVR when watching movies at night after the spouse has gone to bed. I've owned the DT770 Pros at one time, 250 Ohm I believe, and thought they were a tad high in the treble... but now I'm wondering if they're better suited to my (similar) hearing loss, yet I don't want to exacerbate the condition... It's probably fine.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #429 of 434
I find your take on the DT770 interesting. I too have some high frequency hearing loss as well as mild tinnitus which started about 8 months ago. The COPs are, IMO, the best headphone value for the buck, and I use them to this day, especially plugged into my AVR when watching movies at night after the spouse has gone to bed. I've owned the DT770 Pros at one time, 250 Ohm I believe, and thought they were a tad high in the treble... but now I'm wondering if they're better suited to my (similar) hearing loss, yet I don't want to exacerbate the condition... It's probably fine.
Funny, I have tinnitus also.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #430 of 434
the best mod you can do for the COP's is put the felt dampening rings out of DT770 80ohm in the cups (in fact the whole 80r driver assembly is better). yes the velour pads are better than the pleather as the latter makes the bass faaaar to prominent and swamps the mids. the best ear pads i have used to date are the T1 Mk2 as they are a sort of cross between the 990 and 770. i have yet to find ear pads that like the sliders fully open.

if you cant get the felt rings you could use a little synthetic cushion filling but just make sure that both ear cup filling is the same weight/shape.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #431 of 434
the best mod you can do for the COP's is put the felt dampening rings out of DT770 80ohm in the cups (in fact the whole 80r driver assembly is better). yes the velour pads are better than the pleather as the latter makes the bass faaaar to prominent and swamps the mids. the best ear pads i have used to date are the T1 Mk2 as they are a sort of cross between the 990 and 770. i have yet to find ear pads that like the sliders fully open.

if you cant get the felt rings you could use a little synthetic cushion filling but just make sure that both ear cup filling is the same weight/shape.
What does the felt do to the sound?

Feb 20, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #432 of 434
Well a little update and a probably way-to-soon light review. As expected, the DT770 Pro Velour pads fit fine...they're a little finicky to get on as the lip around the pad is a little uneven in width. Didn't have to use a blow dryer, but it might've made things easier.

Comfort? They, like the new-ish DT770s I have at work, are a little stiff. That said, the velour feels nice and "cooler-ish" than the stock pleather pads on the Custom Gaming Interactive. I think currently the stock pads are more comfortable and a have a little more isolation, but the velours aren't uncomfortable...maybe it's the age as the stock pads are about a year old? Taking everything into account, I prefer the feel of the velours despite it's firmer feel.

Sound? Here's where it's at. It's not quite to the level of impactful tight bass of the DT770 Pros at position 3, but it's fairly close. I haven't done the felt mod as I wanted to get a feel for just the pads alone first. Highs? Highs, like the bass/sub-bass are further elevated by the new pads, but not as much. Again, with my hearing loss, I don't mind bright, but it's good for me.

So overall for the pads, it brings the COPP closer to the DT770 Pro, but just a little shy for bass and highs. Mids are much improved imo. Definitely worth the $39. I would certainly buy the pads again.

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #433 of 434
What does the felt do to the sound?
the felt is used to dampen the resonances inside the cups just like inside speakers. this helps stop/lessen the sound waves that bounce back against the diaphragm which in turn helps the diaphragm to be more controlled which in turn tightens the sound up.

the other thing you can do is put rubber/cork/leather/dynamat where the alloy "show discs" are. this dampens the ear cups so they sound less scratchy.

i love the COP's for their sheer musical enjoyment factor but they are far from neutral sounding. enjoy them for what they are.

BTW the black ear pads feel harder then the silver ones. there is a notch on the ear cups so you screw the pads on. you start at the vertical end and wind taward that and not the angled end. also watch out for the headband ends, they must be in a position to allow the pad edge to rotate past.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #434 of 434
the felt is used to dampen the resonances inside the cups just like inside speakers. this helps stop/lessen the sound waves that bounce back against the diaphragm which in turn helps the diaphragm to be more controlled which in turn tightens the sound up.

the other thing you can do is put rubber/cork/leather/dynamat where the alloy "show discs" are. this dampens the ear cups so they sound less scratchy.

i love the COP's for their sheer musical enjoyment factor but they are far from neutral sounding. enjoy them for what they are.

BTW the black ear pads feel harder then the silver ones. there is a notch on the ear cups so you screw the pads on. you start at the vertical end and wind taward that and not the angled end. also watch out for the headband ends, they must be in a position to allow the pad edge to rotate past.
Thanks for the response, I'll have to try the felt mod. As to black vs silver ear pads, I really don't notice a difference between the two, but both sets are new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back