Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #331 of 784
I was just about to return these. They just didn’t ‘do it’ for me, and I was so disappointed with the SQ compared to my wired cans. I was using them with a normal Apt-X LL connection, and found the high frequencies rough, soundstage limited and they were just ‘sub par’ overall.
BUT EUREKA! I thought I’d give ‘em one more chance with an Apt-X HD connection. And WHAT a transformation! They’re now paired with an Inateck BR1008, fed by/from an AQ DF Red/Roon Nucleus.
Could I give up my T1.2’s? Probably not. But only ‘probably’. I think the Amiron Wireless via Apt-X HD are that good. The Wireless freedom they give is just priceless. Highly recommended. Now.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #332 of 784
That's interesting. I had not noticed that much if a difference, but I prefer them plugged in to my ZX 300 vs wireless. Even wireless, though do beat out the XM 3 with ldac.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #333 of 784
That's interesting. I had not noticed that much if a difference, but I prefer them plugged in to my ZX 300 vs wireless. Even wireless, though do beat out the XM 3 with ldac.
Yes, the Amiron’s via Apt-X beat my MDR-1000X’s via LDAC without breaking a sweat. I’d have been even more disappointed if they hadn’t! The Sony’s even via LDAC don’t really qualify as ‘Hi-Fi’ IMO. They’re great for commuting, but not for serious listening.
And yes, a wired connection will/should always be better. But the Wireless capability was what I bought these for. And now, at last, I’m happy with them :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #334 of 784
Agreed, though I do think the Xm3's are good. They sound much better than the xm2, or the OG version. As BT, the Amiron sound good for what they are, but to get the most out of them, I plug them in when I can. They sound really good when plugged in. I will compare to the 1770's next week.

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #335 of 784
I will compare to the 1770's next week.
They sound very different to the 1770’s. The mids on the 1770’s are slightly recessed, and the sub-bass is stronger. The 1770’s are fantastic for EDM/rock/pop, and anything with a bit of slam. IMO the Amiron’s fare better with classical and jazz. Very different sound signatures.

Mar 8, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #336 of 784
They sound very different to the 1770’s. The mids on the 1770’s are slightly recessed, and the sub-bass is stronger. The 1770’s are fantastic for EDM/rock/pop, and anything with a bit of slam. IMO the Amiron’s fare better with classical and jazz. Very different sound signatures.
I've never listened to 1770's, but I found Amiron Wireless to have exceptionally poor seal. With aftermarket memory foam earpads they have plenty of slam down below. Brainwavz earpads are like $25, totally worth it if you want more base IMO.

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #337 of 784
Which set did you get? Agree on the seal.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #338 of 784
Which set did you get? Agree on the seal.
I got this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072PPPWBF/

The earpad opening was a bit too small, so I had to carefully trim extra pleather with pedicure scissors which took me all of 5 minutes and I was good to go.

To be honest, I would not recommend Amiron Wireless with stock earpads. I would have returned my pair if I couldn't replace earpads.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #339 of 784
Cool. I used those with my 1770s at one time. Figured Amiron would be bigger

Mar 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #340 of 784
I wonder if the XL version would be too big.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #341 of 784
So i just measured the ear pads on the AMiron and compared to the Brainwavz round xl. They are almost identical in size, with the XL being 2.5 MM larger. The standard round pads are smaller, which makes more sense as they do fit on the DT 1770, which is a smaller cup than the Amiron.

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #342 of 784
So sad that the closed Amiron Wireless is only available as a BT (non-wired) version and the Wired Amiron Home is only available as an open-back version.

Would love Amiron Home closed-back and just swap the pads.

Ah, well, another pass for Beyerdynamic (I'm a long time Beyerdynamic fan, but lately they've been just miss for me).

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #343 of 784
I just have both. You can use the Wireless in wired mode, which is mostly what I do. They sound awesome wired. As BT, they sound great for BT, but sound pretty amazing paired with my ZX300. The home do sound better though, but it's an open back--those usually do sound better.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #344 of 784
I just have both. You can use the Wireless in wir e mode, which is mostly what I do. They sound awesome wired. As BT, they sound great for BT, but sound pretty amazing paired with my ZX300. The hom do would better though, but it's an open back. Those usually do sound better.

Ah, I had no idea about that! So the Wireless has a (single-side sided) 3.5mm plug-in option? Can you turn the BT OFF completely?

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #345 of 784
Ah, I had no idea about that! So the Wireless has a (single-side sided) 3.5mm plug-in option? Can you turn the BT OFF completely?
When you plug the 3.5mm connector into the driver housing, the BT is disconnected/switched-off. When you use the 3.5mm cable, you use the Amiron's passively, without using any internal battery power. They effectively become passive, unpowered headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back