Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
May 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #151 of 784
:beerchug:

For now, I'll stop posting in this thread, as I don't have anything more to add to what has been already said, and I don't want to spoil those headphones for people who might like them more than I did. Everyone's ears and music tastes are different, it's good to have a variety to choose from.

May 24, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #152 of 784
I'll start with this: I have not been disappointed that badly with a piece of gear in many years as I was with the Amiron Wireless. I was holding high hopes for it to be an end game headphone in wireless and actually mobile as well. A MASSIVE disappointment. Momentum Wireless (with EQ) easily wins. I don't understand how Beyer could release this product. It has some really massive flaws. Ok, no higher treble, but this can be EQed. Muffled and too warm. Also can be EQed to some degree. This headphone is all about mids. But this is not an actual problem, nothing what an EQ couldn't fix... But what an EQ can't fix - it sounds like a plastic cup. It has so severe resonances, you can't even go past a certain volume, because the echo would be too much to listen to. The Amiron wired is on a contrary an ok hp, also rolled off highs, but some might like it. I see why some people might like an Amiron wired, but Amiron Wireless is a complete no go for me, a massive fail.

Now to the positive part of this visit: T5p.2 is flawless. It could be a bit more comfy as the ear pads are just a bit too small for my I guess somehow larger than average ears. But this is the only critic I have on them. They do sound more like an open phone, have a real 3D imaging. I wouldn't EQ them at all, they are just about as good as it can get to my ears. A bit on a warmer side, and they do have bass.
-alex

Ugh too bad! I too am really interested in having a truly audiophile wireless set up. Maybe someday...

May 24, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #153 of 784
Ok, I couldn't wait any longer, and since I also ran into an offer of a fellow head-fier from Germany selling his Aeon C, I had to go visit Beyer at their factory a bit earlier than planned, because I had to decide first, whether I'll get a Beyer or the Aeon...
Timing was also perfect, I was a single customer there today, had plenty of time to test and compare...

I'll start with this: I have not been disappointed that badly with a piece of gear in many years as I was with the Amiron Wireless. I was holding high hopes for it to be an end game headphone in wireless and actually mobile as well. A MASSIVE disappointment. Momentum Wireless (with EQ) easily wins. I don't understand how Beyer could release this product. It has some really massive flaws. Ok, no higher treble, but this can be EQed. Muffled and too warm. Also can be EQed to some degree. This headphone is all about mids. But this is not an actual problem, nothing what an EQ couldn't fix... But what an EQ can't fix - it sounds like a plastic cup. It has so severe resonances, you can't even go past a certain volume, because the echo would be too much to listen to. The Amiron wired is on a contrary an ok hp, also rolled off highs, but some might like it. I see why some people might like an Amiron wired, but Amiron Wireless is a complete no go for me, a massive fail.

Now to the positive part of this visit: T5p.2 is flawless. It could be a bit more comfy as the ear pads are just a bit too small for my I guess somehow larger than average ears. But this is the only critic I have on them. They do sound more like an open phone, have a real 3D imaging. I wouldn't EQ them at all, they are just about as good as it can get to my ears. A bit on a warmer side, and they do have bass.

In order to calibrate my years at the outlet, I brought my K550 with me, as I don't trust my memory. This is also a good reference phone, as it's pretty lean but on a bright side, and it does have a beyer peak, even though it's an AKG. In direct comparison, T5p is considerably warmer, with less harsh sounding treble, but at the same time with a better resolution. As I've already said, T5p's tonality is spot-on to my ears.

At the end of my listening session, I've taken one of their T5ps home as we agreed on a very reasonable price.

Although I really had high hopes to finally ditch all that cables and mobile amps and replace this all with a nice high-end wireless Beyer, it seems that hifi and wireless are still not really compatible as of yet. I do enjoy my Momentum wireless that I use in the office, but it's not exactly what I call hifi neither. But for the purpose (office gear) it's also almost a perfect fit, I don't need all that resolution when at work. I need good isolation, a pleasant tonality, good quality and comfort for hours of use...

I will be using my T5p indoors at home, when not sitting at my stationary gear. A closed hp, so that I don't annoy my wife with all that noise coming from an open hp, when she is e.g. watching a tv or reading something in a close proximity :)

-alex
Thank you very much for your impressions, I was waiting for it. I am very happy to see that we have the same musical tastes and that we are both looking for the same thing: headphones with the quality of the T5P II (without a doubt, the best I've ever had), but wireless. I am very clear that I am not willing to give up the sound quality of the T5P II, so if the Amiron wireless do not approach I will continue waiting for the technology to mature, I am sure it will be a matter of time. By the way, a couple of quick questions: did you try the binaural T5P II, is it worth it? How did you get such a good price? (I love them too!, I sold mine long ago and I still regret it)

PS: sorry for my english

May 24, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #154 of 784
I have not been disappointed that badly with a piece of gear in many years as I was with the Amiron Wireless. I was holding high hopes for it to be an end game headphone in wireless and actually mobile as well. A MASSIVE disappointment.
Thanks for your candid impressions. I'm hoping that an MIY profile was active with a b0rked profile applied or something to explain this. There would really be no excuses whatsoever if Beyer made a lemon here. Just like active studio monitors, they have had the opportunity to select the best DAC/amp combo to suit their drivers. Going to continue reserving judgement until I've either had the chance to hear them myself or a consensus is made by the community.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #155 of 784
Hi all, I'm new to the headfi thing. I'm interested in getting my first pair of wireless headphones and have tried Bose/Sony/B&W but didn't like the sound of these. I've tried the Aventho wireless and despite the ANC not being great, I pretty much like what it sounded. Amiron Wireless being the 'elder' sibling of Aventho, might sound better?

Thinking of ordering the Amiron wireless and also a DAP. Can anyone advise which is a good matching DAP for this?

Thanks and sorry for this noob questions.

May 30, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #156 of 784
Hi all, I'm new to the headfi thing. I'm interested in getting my first pair of wireless headphones and have tried Bose/Sony/B&W but didn't like the sound of these. I've tried the Aventho wireless and despite the ANC not being great, I pretty much like what it sounded. Amiron Wireless being the 'elder' sibling of Aventho, might sound better?

Thinking of ordering the Amiron wireless and also a DAP. Can anyone advise which is a good matching DAP for this?

Thanks and sorry for this noob questions.
Amiron Wireless has no ANC.
As for the DAP I would use a phone with at least AptX or AptXHD. Anything else is an overkill and will not improve the sound using wireless mode. Wired is different, here you would directly profit from a good DAC and amplifier in the DAP.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #157 of 784
As stated above, neither Aventho nor Amiron have ANC.
I tried Fiio Q1 Mk2 and I can find no difference in sound compared to the integrated DAC+AMP and bluetooth, except it can play a bit louder (but it's loud enough as it is).
Your ears might be different, but for most people AAC/aptX or even high bitpool SBC will be transparent (I can hear SBC artifacts though)

May 30, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #158 of 784
Thanks Chortya and zviratko.

I'I not looking for one with ANC, so it doesn't matter. Wireless will be for on the go, otherwise I'll mostly be hooking it up wired. I'm having a few DAPs in mind, namely A&K AK70mk2, Fiio X7mk2, Onkyo DP-X1A. Which is a better match?

May 30, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #159 of 784
if you want ANC, the Sony Wh MDr100x mk2 sounds pretty decent with ldac, and the latest power amp version, which upscales. However, I still found that my Dt 1770 with the ES 100 and brainwavz pads sounds better. That is my BT solution. I don't know about the amiron, but the dt 1770 isolates very well. However, I also listen to loud music. Otherwise, the Sennheiser momentum, or the Bower and Wilkins PX would be the 2 I would try that also have ANC. I've tried pretty much all the others, and was not impressed. These 2 were the only 2 I thought sounded better than the Sony's. Personally, I thought the Aventho sounded like crap. I was not impressed at all.

May 30, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #160 of 784
MDR-1000X sounds completely artificial, not even close to being in the same league as Amiron...

I'I not looking for one with ANC, so it doesn't matter. Wireless will be for on the go, otherwise I'll mostly be hooking it up wired. I'm having a few DAPs in mind, namely A&K AK70mk2, Fiio X7mk2, Onkyo DP-X1A. Which is a better match?

I really wouldn't bother, get a silicone flexible USB cable and use the DAC in the Amiron. Ask in your nearby A/V shop to test it with a proper AMP, I doubt you'll hear a difference. And you won't lose the functionality of the MIY app (if you care about that).

May 30, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #161 of 784
I don't know about the Amiron, but in testing with the 1770, it sounded fairly close on a lot of songs. Ultimately, the 1770 sounded better, which is why I returned them and just went with the ES100. I was not impressed with the Sony's before, but listening with LDAC and poweramp's 32 bit upscale for ldac, they sounded pretty decent for $300. The mid range was a bit more forward than the 1770's, and lighter music sounded really good, but bass response and heavier music sounded better on the Beyers. Maybe the driver response was faster. IDK, but I settled on the Beyers and took the Sony's back.

May 30, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #163 of 784
If it's for bt, I would probably use your phone if you have a newer android. The ak700 has more limitations, but has aptx hd. The onkyo has dual aim cards and a wider Soundstage Maybe order 2 at a time and return the one you like least I just did that with 5 pairs of headphones. I kept zero of them Thanks amazon!

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #164 of 784
If anyone is interested, I borrowed someone else's idea about the Dt 770 BT mod and made my own.

I purchased the following:

1. ES 100
2. Branwavz HM5
3. Ek500s

I spent $140 in all. You have to cut the Hm5 very slightly to re-attach the plastic rings to the cups. DO NOT OVERCUT. Take a utility knife and remove 3/16" of an inch around the permiter of the opening on the back of the headphone, and they will work. Align them so the seams are at the bottom of the headphone, and align with the mini xlr plug. This makes sure that the oblong pads are set to fit your ears better than the other way. The result is more comfortable pads, more spacious sound (by removing the thick black covering to the drivers) and greater portability. 20180602_122746.jpg

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #165 of 784
If anyone is interested, I borrowed someone else's idea about the Dt 770 BT mod and made my own.

I purchased the following:

1. ES 100
2. Branwavz HM5
3. Ek500s

I spent $140 in all. You have to cut the Hm5 very slightly to re-attach the plastic rings to the cups. DO NOT OVERCUT. Take a utility knife and remove 3/16" of an inch around the permiter of the opening on the back of the headphone, and they will work. Align them so the seams are at the bottom of the headphone, and align with the mini xlr plug. This makes sure that the oblong pads are set to fit your ears better than the other way. The result is more comfortable pads, more spacious sound (by removing the thick black covering to the drivers) and greater portability.

Nice! That looks pretty good on the DT-1770s. And kudos for finding a ready-made cable; I had to get out the soldering iron for the inside mod of the DT-770 anyway, so doing the cable wasn’t much of an extra effort — but once you start with DT-1770s (or 1990s, I suppose), this seems like a great option. Got two questions for you (apologies if you mentioned this elsewhere and I overlooked):

[1] why the aftermarket ear pads? (And related, why‘d you then choose these?)

[2] I started with the FiiO BT-1 originally, and have since upgraded to the Bluewave Get for the Bluetooth piece — what made you pick the ES-100, and how does it compare to FiiO/Bluewave in case you know those?

Thanks, Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back