Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #166 of 784
Thanks, Man.

So, I wanted to remove the thick pads to open the sound a bit more, per the 1770 mod thread, and it worked I think. I also wanted a cushier pad that fully went over my ears, as the stock pad rested on my ears and would hurt after a while. My primary use is also the gym, and the extra room keeps me ears from getting so hot. I went with these because they fit. I tried the round Xl's and they are too big. The regular rounds had a little less space, so this seemed the way to go.

I got this mostly because I wanted to clip it on. My understanding is that the Fiio would not be strong enough to drive the 1770's, and the Get is bigger. I considered the XB10 as well, but it is also bigger. The compact size of the ES100 made it perfect for my application.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #167 of 784
Thanks, Man.

So, I wanted to remove the thick pads to open the sound a bit more, per the 1770 mod thread, and it worked I think. I also wanted a cushier pad that fully went over my ears, as the stock pad rested on my ears and would hurt after a while. My primary use is also the gym, and the extra room keeps me ears from getting so hot. I went with these because they fit. I tried the round Xl's and they are too big. The regular rounds had a little less space, so this seemed the way to go.

I got this mostly because I wanted to clip it on. My understanding is that the Fiio would not be strong enough to drive the 1770's, and the Get is bigger. I considered the XB10 as well, but it is also bigger. The compact size of the ES100 made it perfect for my application.

Cool. That all makes total sense. And yes, the FiiO didn't seem strong enough to drive the 1990s (which I own), so I'd assume you'd run into the same issue on your 1770s.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #168 of 784
I'm interested the audio technica adapter that has ldac, but it's bigger and had a 7 hour battery life. If they update it to shrink and improve the battery, I'd be interested

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #169 of 784
Anyone compared the Audeze Mobius to the Amiron wireless?

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #172 of 784
Someone posted a review on page 5.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #173 of 784
I own them, lookup my sort-of-review in the history.

I think they sound great, but they exacerbate any flaws the song has to the extent that I simply can't listen to some of them (or had to find better mastered versions).
Battery life seems to be amazing, (I usually charge them everyday but even if I don't I've never seen them below 60% - assuming it's linear).
Firmware sucks bad, range sucks, app barely works, but none of those matter much once the headphones are playing something :)

If you want to know something else - ask.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #174 of 784
I own them, lookup my sort-of-review in the history.

I think they sound great, but they exacerbate any flaws the song has to the extent that I simply can't listen to some of them (or had to find better mastered versions).
Battery life seems to be amazing, (I usually charge them everyday but even if I don't I've never seen them below 60% - assuming it's linear).
Firmware sucks bad, range sucks, app barely works, but none of those matter much once the headphones are playing something :)

If you want to know something else - ask.
I can think of a couple of things....comfort (rate from 1-10) and in your opinion can they handle any EQ in the sub-bass region? (20-30 hz).
I have a couple of wireless already..B&W P7..(which sounds good, but I don't find all that comfortable)...and the Sony MDR-1ABT (which are comfy...but sound congested with a bass hump I can't EQ out with the limitations of my dap. (Sony Nwz-a17)

Bern

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #175 of 784
Comfort: 10. I can hardly imagine a more comfortable over ear headphones... maybe ones with integrated cooling
Sub bass is good at higher volumes where it seems to really "kick in", but I don't miss it much at lower volumes either - might just be my hearing, though. I don't use any kind of EQ but I might try later, and I think you could trick the MIY app to EQ it for you the right way in the headphones :)

I also own a P7W and PX. P7W are more bass heavy, but much less refined in the bass region and the sound is more distant on them. Not sure I'd call that a larger soundstage because I don't think it's that beneficial. I like the P7W sound very much but the Amiron is clearly superior.
Compared to PX... well honestly I feel weird about the PX. When one gets used to them they have very clear and well defined sound, good amounts of everything. Objectively they should sound better but are less fun than the P7W. When I switch to them from the Amiron they sound all wrong and muffled for a while. And they are SUPER uncomfortable unless you have tiny ears. P7W aren't great either but whatever was wrong with their comfort is so much worse in the PX. ANC is "good enough" but the SQ takes a blow when you enable it - I only use it in the office, mostly for speech, but when I listen to music I switch the ANC off... which however makes them go to sleep (or rather turn off) every 2 minutes which is infuriating, silly, stupid, wt...

I owned Sony MDR-1000X (which could be close to the Sony you have somewhat? No idea...) and I found them absolutely terrible when it comes to sound - at high volumes there was heavy distortion - the likes you get when the amp is not powerful enough and is near clipping. The sound was uneven and very artificial. But they were also very comfortable (8? 9?) and had absolutely stellar ANC.

Really the only things that I find really wrong with the Amiron is the firmware, software and sadly also the bluetooth range. The app frequently loses connection, refuses to change settings with nonsensical messages, but luckily you don't need it after initial setup.
The firmware is quirky - for example if the headphones were on for some amount of time and you want to turn them on, you need to press the power button for 6 seconds. Then they turn off and turn on again, sometimes they switch to pairing mode. Clearly some timer keeps going on while that button is pressed when powering off, that should only fire when they are powering on. Also when connected for longer periods to time to one source, another source cannot be connected without first disconnecting the first one. But I had this happen with other headphones and is a common quirk. I don't like that they connect to the last 2 sources when powered on, but that's personal preference - I found the P7W to have the greatest implementation where they connect to the first _paired_ device, so you can have it setup and work reliably whenever and just connect whatever secondary source ad-hoc.
There's no feedback on connection lost and no way to disconnect sources from the headphones themselves (with P7W or PX you can press the button twice to disconnect which I use quite often, or press once to reconnect which is useful when you go out of range and then back).

Bluetooth range is bad. Some headphones I had were similiar (Sennheiser MM-550X), but I haven't seen anybody really complain about it. Take a look at the Aventho wireless reviews, seems like a frequent complaint here and probably the same electronics inside. Not sure to what extend BD were able to fix stuff. I don't use aptX because I find it inferior to AAC, and because aptX has bigger bandwidth it also has inferior range. I probably wouldn't be so critical about this if I never had the P7W or PX which have excellent range and stability (surpassed only by my Airpods that are Class 1 Bluetooth) but sometimes with interference it's a bit ridiculous to be just a few steps from the computer and having to turn the head the right way to keep the connection stable.
For their price, this should simply not happen. But if you want the superior sound then you probably need to account for diminishing returns...

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #176 of 784
Btw when it comes to SQ I found the sound to be a bit similiar to the Sennheiser HD-650 (6XX) a friend has, but more "fun" - the mids were even clearer, the highs were clearly better (all Senns just sound muddy to me), maybe only the bass was less exact - the Senns didn't loose as much sub bass at lower volume levels, but that could be solved with EQ easily because they _are_ able to produce it effortlessly at higher volumes.

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #177 of 784
... I tried some EQ (only iTunes though) and the sub bass is still rolled off at lower volume levels and seems to kick in at about 80%. But that's also where I listen to music the most, so... :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #178 of 784
@zviratko .....many thx for your thoughts on these. I'm still deciding what I'm going to do...but I think I could live with the bluetooth range as I plan on using my dap for that purpose. So the dap could travel in my pocket. Just deciding on whether to keep or sell the other ones. I initially bought The Sony's to use on the treadmill...and then decided I didn't want to sweat all over them. May use them for that purpose.
I'm liking the idea of the comfort of the Amiron...part of the reason I don't always grab the B&W's is that I don't find them comfortable for any length of time.
Hopefully BD will improve the firmware...one would think so.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back