Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 4, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #2,326 of 2,667
Which desktop amps drive these best? Any good DAC/amp combos at ‘value’ prices?

Great headphones, but I’m just using a Chord Mojo to drive them.
Would their 250ohms sound better with some added juice?

Santa can stretch to $400

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #2,327 of 2,667
Which desktop amps drive these best? Any good DAC/amp combos at ‘value’ prices?

Great headphones, but I’m just using a Chord Mojo to drive them.
Would their 250ohms sound better with some added juice?

Santa can stretch to $400
Honestly the Mojo has more than enough power for them.

If you did want to improve, the Mojo 2 is genuinely an excellent upgrade in regards to functionality. But the original Mojo is a superb devices.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #2,330 of 2,667
Thanks @Twizzleshnizzle I agree, and so does the most honest salesman I met today.
Honestly the Mojo has more than enough power for them.
If you did want to improve, the Mojo 2 is genuinely an excellent upgrade in regards to functionality. But the original Mojo is a superb devices.
I visited a couple of local stores and demoed some rather high-end alternatives…

My wish:​

Is there a low cost headphone amp (< £1,000) that would improve my experience?​

My conclusions:​

1) Mojo 1 or 2 is an excellent driver for Amiron. It reveals great performance, can drive them hard and the DAC is more mobile than the headphones themselves. Snug fit in the stock case.
2) Amiron really does scale well! Driven by better gear, they can sound FAR better. But is this only if you are willing to spend >£4,000 on DAC and amplification, that would usually also warrant a far more expensive set of headphones..?
3) Amiron are great value Beyer headphones. To my ears, albeit for too short a time, Amiron matches the performance I hear from T1s using the same source and high-end DAC/HP amp.

I am happy with my Mojo, as both my home and mobile solution to pair with these headphones- but I’d be really pleased to hear views on how to make them really sing?

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,331 of 2,667
Thanks @Twizzleshnizzle I agree, and so does the most honest salesman I met today.

I visited a couple of local stores and demoed some rather high-end alternatives…

My wish:​

Is there a low cost headphone amp (< £1,000) that would improve my experience?​

My conclusions:​

1) Mojo 1 or 2 is an excellent driver for Amiron. It reveals great performance, can drive them hard and the DAC is more mobile than the headphones themselves. Snug fit in the stock case.
2) Amiron really does scale well! Driven by better gear, they can sound FAR better. But is this only if you are willing to spend >£4,000 on DAC and amplification, that would usually also warrant a far more expensive set of headphones..?
3) Amiron are great value Beyer headphones. To my ears, albeit for too short a time, Amiron matches the performance I hear from T1s using the same source and high-end DAC/HP amp.

I am happy with my Mojo, as both my home and mobile solution to pair with these headphones- but I’d be really pleased to hear views on how to make them really sing?
Check out Schiit’s DACs and amps. They’re inexpensive but compete with products that are 4X more expensive.

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #2,332 of 2,667
Thought I'd follow up to my previous post about the DT 1990 balanced pads on my Amiron Home. I'm sticking with these as I much prefer the feel of them to the original pads. They sit much better on the head and the sound hasn't really changed in any noticeable way for me, which is perfect.

IMG_20200806_094244.jpgIMG_20200806_094314.jpg
After 2 years, I can't resist so hopefully I'll make my Amiron Home as sexy as yours. I see you use the cable too that are included in the T5p2, right?

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #2,334 of 2,667
I did, but I can't say it's made any difference to sound. Just shorter so easier to use. Hope the pads work out for you.
The sound has not changed at all? The main reason is the comfort. At some time the stiff stock pads do hurt after a while.

Funnily enough when I tried the T5p2 cable for the first time, the bass sounds bit fuller, not very noticeable of course but that was my very first taste of a cable making the sound different in a very subtle way. And even more funnily enough, it was way before I got active in this hobby at my fullest level 2 years ago :p The 3 metres cable is silly and it's like you're fighting against a snake.

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #2,335 of 2,667
The sound has not changed at all? The main reason is the comfort. At some time the stiff stock pads do hurt after a while.

Funnily enough when I tried the T5p2 cable for the first time, the bass sounds bit fuller, not very noticeable of course but that was my very first taste of a cable making the sound different in a very subtle way. And even more funnily enough, it was way before I got active in this hobby at my fullest level 2 years ago :p The 3 metres cable is silly and it's like you're fighting against a snake.
Minimal change, it's very hard to notice anything apart from a bit more space. I was very happy with the result as I don't like the stock pads. They're a crappy material. I tested various other Beyer pads. No others worked well.

Ebay is often full of used custom cables, OFC copper and the like (high quality). Very easy to pick up nice shorter cables. I've always thought the T5 and T1 stock cables are a really nice quality.

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2,336 of 2,667
Minimal change, it's very hard to notice anything apart from a bit more space. I was very happy with the result as I don't like the stock pads. They're a crappy material. I tested various other Beyer pads. No others worked well.

Ebay is often full of used custom cables, OFC copper and the like (high quality). Very easy to pick up nice shorter cables. I've always thought the T5 and T1 stock cables are a really nice quality.
The stock pads are indeed stiff, very stiff. Much more stiff than new grown green banana lol
I'd rather have Beyerdynamic pads too, no china. I ordered 770VB, 770V and 1990VB Balanced to test them, also for my Amiron Wireless.

The stock cables for the T5 and T1 are indeed really nice quality. Believe it or not, they are also cheaper than most of the OCF copper cables I've been trying to find one. I'll stick to the stock cable.

Jan 5, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2,337 of 2,667
@Twizzleshnizzle
So I got them! And damn, never knew changing earpads were so easy! But of course only because of the small insert to apply new earpads.
Btw, have you tried 770VB? It makes the Amiron Home a Super Amiron Home! Bass is damn slamming hardcore while treble still remains silky smooth.
I'm impressed how it can change the sound but studied how the earpads are and it makes sense. I wonder how my Amiron Wireless will sound.

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #2,338 of 2,667
@Twizzleshnizzle
So I got them! And damn, never knew changing earpads were so easy! But of course only because of the small insert to apply new earpads.
Btw, have you tried 770VB? It makes the Amiron Home a Super Amiron Home! Bass is damn slamming hardcore while treble still remains silky smooth.
I'm impressed how it can change the sound but studied how the earpads are and it makes sense. I wonder how my Amiron Wireless will sound.
I don't think I tried those pads. At the time I was trying to keep the signature as close as possible. Since then I love a good earpad experimentation.

Jan 19, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #2,340 of 2,667
I cannot comment on the DT880.

The Amiron Home and T1.2 have sound signatures that are much more different than you might expect from the graphs or the same technology. Both are great in their own right.

The T1.2 wins clearly on spaciousness.
The Amiron Home is much more engaging to me.

In terms of value for money, the Amiron wins. I keep going between the two of them, and will be keeping them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back