Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
May 11, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #2,357 of 2,669
Does anyone have measurements for the interior of the stock pads? Reviewers seem to mention that the pads are large and cavernous, but measurements of dekoni replacement pads say they're average-sized, and pictures of the Amiron look like the pads are about average.

May 14, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #2,358 of 2,669
Does anyone have measurements for the interior of the stock pads? Reviewers seem to mention that the pads are large and cavernous, but measurements of dekoni replacement pads say they're average-sized, and pictures of the Amiron look like the pads are about average.

The inner opening is 58mm, there is some additional space behind the earpads so a more realistic estimate would be between 70 and 80mm in total.
It's a bit larger than HD650 but not by much. Not HD800 or the oval Hifiman spacious.

May 15, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2,359 of 2,669
I was wondering do the creaks you get from moving your head on brand new Amiron's go away over time?
I picked up a pair recently and love them. The creaking from just wearing them is driving me crazy, but if it gets better overtime.
I will deal with it for now wait for them to break in.

May 15, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #2,360 of 2,669
I was wondering do the creaks you get from moving your head on brand new Amiron's go away over time?
I picked up a pair recently and love them. The creaking from just wearing them is driving me crazy, but if it gets better overtime.
I will deal with it for now wait for them to break in.
Unfortunately, a year in, mine still creak about the same as when I took them out of the box. I don't listen to them a ton, so maybe with heavier use it might...

May 21, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #2,362 of 2,669
Just recently purchased these and I'm quite pleased. In the past, I have owned the DT 770 Pro/Studio, DT 880 Pro, DT 990 Pro, DT 177X Go, DT 1990 Pro, DT 700 Pro X and DT 900 Pro X. The only one of that lineage I've never had the pleasure of trying is the DT 1770 Pro.

Anyway, I got these because like many people here (I'm sure) we are all constantly looking for the headphone that will please us enough to perhaps forsake all others. Or, at the very least, be happy enough to just be our main set of cans so we can stop looking for awhile. 😂

Part of what attracted me to these is that they do have a dual entry, which is very unlike Beyerdynamic. I know they were released in 2016 originally and seem not to be mentioned much these days in headphone circles. This surprises me as I find the sound signature to be pleasingly warm and comforting. I have read that these headphone are particularly sensitive to producing different experiences with different amplifiers and interfaces.

That being said, I am using my Apogee Duet 3 (with its Zero-Ohm headphone amplifier) to drive these. The Apogee Duet series has a reputation for being one of the cleanest amplifiers in the business and that's why I chose the Duet 3. I have also had the Duet 2 (still have it, actually). I'm getting plenty of volume, as you would expect – with much room to burn and blow out my eardrums if I so choose.

The only gripes I have really is that the cable blows. So, I ordered the shorter cable that is offered by Beyerdynamic. I like it much better, material, length and style. It inspires confidence – just very, very pricey. I'm also considering changing the ear pads as I feel the stock pads are a bit too... firm? I'm looking at either using the one's from my 177X Go which I still have or maybe just buying the DT 1770 Pro one new.

Are the pads hard to change?

cable.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,363 of 2,669
Are the pads hard to change?

No, the pads wrap round a plastic thing that then clips into the headphones.

You pop the plastic thing off with your fingernails then remove the pads

Speaking of pads I've just fitted what appears to be a carbon copy (but 3rd party knock off) of the beyer dt1990 balanced pads found on amazon, absolutely hate them. The mids have been pushed right back further and the bass muddies the mids even further than before. It's that bad I don't actually want to listen to any music with them on.

Don't think the amiron home is quite right for me. I like it for some slow tempo music, dire straits sort of thing. But don't enjoy it for rock or metal so much, thrash is a real problem for me on the amirons. The lows seem to overpower the mids, and the mids seem recessed (assume because of the lows and highs). I find them quite confusing to listen to at times.

Have a 1990 on order with custom cans I'm looking forward to hearing them.

May 28, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,364 of 2,669
I think you’re right. I adore them for symphonic rock / metal or the more melodic side of the progressive rock. On heavier stuff the soundstage seems a bit compressed and with lack of clarity. Interested to hear which Beyers you think suit that music best.

May 30, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #2,365 of 2,669
Don't think the amiron home is quite right for me. I like it for some slow tempo music, dire straits sort of thing. But don't enjoy it for rock or metal so much, thrash is a real problem for me on the amirons. The lows seem to overpower the mids, and the mids seem recessed (assume because of the lows and highs). I find them quite confusing to listen to at times.

Have a 1990 on order with custom cans I'm looking forward to hearing them.

They work for me with some metal but it's not my main genre. I know what you mean though and I'm using a HD600 as company for the Amiron.

I'm also using EQ very often and for the Amiron I like to add 2.5db at 1700Hz Q1.4. If the bass is still to fat you can reduce 220Hz with Q1.2 by 2db or so.

This makes the headphone a bit faster but it's still no HD600.

The dt990 is less warm than the Amiron and with some EQ in the treble it's a fantastic sounding headphone. dt900pro X should be more neutral, too. And HD600 has real energy for metal.

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #2,366 of 2,669
Cool story, but I replaced my stock 4 hole pads (what I assume are the Beyer analytical pads?) with some knock off DT770 pads from Amazon - firmer foam and full of holes like the 770 pads are. The beyer pads are quite pricey at £40-50 so decided to take a punt on the amazon specials.

Awful sound, greatly recessed sound stage, mids sound even more recessed than they did on the stock pads. Lows bleed into the mids even more. Even more warm sounding, loss of clarity.

Decided to jam up the holes with electrical tape so 0 holes now, much better and better sounding to me than I remember the stock pads sounding. Got the idea from Nkam over in the DT 1990 thread (I've a set of these on order from custom cans). Oddly less sibilance now than I remember too...

I've not been listening to them for a few weeks since they sounded so bad with the 770 knock off pads, but love them again with the holes taped up.

Attachments

• dtpads.jpg
    dtpads.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 0
Jul 11, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #2,370 of 2,669
You should give my EQ for the Amiron Home a try. I think you will be blown away by the sound quality improvement. This makes the Amiron sound completely balanced and natural, but keeps its warmish signature in place.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

50Hz: + 0.5
63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: - 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1
1.6kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 1
2.5kHz: + 1
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
5kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5
Sorry for bringing up a message from years ago, but I made an account just to thank you for this. I was seriously unimpressed with the Auto EQ selections and still had awful sibilance in the highs which I'm sensitive to. Your EQ helped improved things massively, while still keeping the great warm sound signature and imaging on these cans. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back