Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 17, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #481 of 2,669

You also mentioned your only regret is that Beyer didn't make the DT1990s with twin cables like the Amiron.  Does it REALLY make any difference ?  When I see people write stuff like that, being a total novice, makes me worry that I shouldn't be getting the DT1990s (or any headphone without balanced cables).

Balancing is an interesting thing. The headphones don't care if they're balanced or not, but the amp is balanced all the way through, there can be advantages. A "balanced" signal is just a signal that has 2 signals, 180 degrees out of phase with each other. Having both signals means that the designer of the amp can use all sorts of cool, low-distortion topologies that sound subjectively better. Balanced topologies also have the advantage of having massive PSRR (power supply rejection ratio) so they can be very, very low noise even with noisy power supplies. The practical upshot of all of this is that running a balanced system can be advantageous, but just because of the amp section. Pairing balanced headphones with a balanced amp is usually a good idea if the amp has a balanced output stage, because you get the full output power (a good thing).

Mind you, all of this is purely theoretical, and a well designed single ended amp can be, and often is, better than a badly-designed or even mediocre balanced amp.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #482 of 2,669

Can you describe in what way you perceive the sound sig. to be so much better than the HD650 ?  It would be useful to "quantify" this in some way (again so newbies like me can understand a little more about why its worth spending twice as much money and then some).  Also are you saying the X2 is similar to the HD650 or similar to the Amiron :)  If it is the latter then at the price it makes the X2 very attractive (y).

I find the Amiron Home to have a similar sound signature to the original release of the HD650, but fixes all the issues I had with it. I hate the launch version of the HD650 because it was muddy and lacked detail. The bass felt slapped on and too thick. The added warmth was originally off putting as it smeared detail. 

The Amiron is similar in tone to the original HD650, but with a lot more detail, bass control, well everything is improved. The main thing for me is that these are crisp and very smooth at the same time, the HD650 just sounded like a blur. The presentation is more 3D while the HD650 is more of a wide left/right image to me.

I hope this explains it.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #483 of 2,669

I find the Amiron Home to have a similar sound signature to the original release of the HD650, but fixes all the issues I had with it. I hate the launch version of the HD650 because it was muddy and lacked detail. The bass felt slapped on and too thick. The added warmth was originally off putting as it smeared detail. 

The Amiron is similar in tone to the original HD650, but with a lot more detail, bass control, well everything is improved. The main thing for me is that these are crisp and very smooth at the same time, the HD650 just sounded like a blur. The presentation is more 3D while the HD650 is more of a wide left/right image to me.

I hope this explains it.

​To some extent yes, thanks :)  Although I found the Amiron seemed to smear detail compared to the DT1990's.  Maybe I'm not describing that right though, as I know a lot of people are saying it is plenty descriptive enough of the detail.  I guess after the Grado SR325e and DT1990 pro's Ive developed a liking for the attack they seem to have.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #484 of 2,669

​To some extent yes, thanks :)  Although I found the Amiron seemed to smear detail compared to the DT1990's.  Maybe I'm not describing that right though, as I know a lot of people are saying it is plenty descriptive enough of the detail.  I guess after the Grado SR325e and DT1990 pro's Ive developed a liking for the attack they seem to have.

That's actually similar to how I see it, well the sound is a bit looser is a better word. The DT 1990 is tighter sounding overall, especially in the bass, but interestingly I find the clarity and transparency of the Amiron better. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #485 of 2,669
subbed to this thread...have senn650s and sony 7520 (for portable)
...seeking something to compliment the senns without going into the $1-3k zone
(though the new sony z1r do look enticing...)

also i've never had a beyerdynamic before.

this sub$1k (give or take) price point is such a gap that needs to be filled.
i see the mr speakers doing so with the new Aeon...and now Beyerdynamic with this model.

just wonder how they stand up to the more $$$ cans out there.
i mean i get it: you often do get what you pay for in this or most industries.
but  just how much better would be the lcd-x o ether etc etc, or such, comparatively.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #486 of 2,669
If you are looking for an open back headphone with awesome comfort and a balanced and detailed sound without any harshness, the Amiron is highly recommended. I haven't had time yet to compare them to the Z1R but they serve different purposes. It wouldn't be fair to expect excitement and bass the Z1R offers but it's not like the Amiron is boring by any means. It has a nice low end for an open headphone.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #487 of 2,669
If you are looking for an open back headphone with awesome comfort and a balanced and detailed sound without any harshness, the Amiron is highly recommended. I haven't had time yet to compare them to the Z1R but they serve different purposes. It wouldn't be fair to expect excitement and bass the Z1R offers but it's not like the Amiron is boring by any means. It has a nice low end for an open headphone.

i would love to see a comparison....just to see if the beyers punch above their weight class at all.
I wouldn't expect them to come close, but just to see a comparison in the sound sigs and sq would be interesting
(of course one is open, and one is closed...).

might buy a pair of these amirons to replace my sony 7520 studio closed cans for portable usage

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #488 of 2,669
Just got the Amiron and like the smooth warm signature. Maybe even love it, time will show :). I also have the Z1R and no doubt it's a better headphone. Noticely better details, resolution and bass texture.

If the Z1R are worth 2200 usd then in my opinion the Amiron are worth more than 600 usd. I have not a/b them and not sure i will too big prize difference.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #489 of 2,669
What Hi-Fi just gave the Amirom a 5-star review.

http://www.whathifi.com/beyerdynamic/amiron/review

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #491 of 2,669
All I can say is that the gap in sound and build quality between the Amiron and the Z1R is not nearly as great as the price difference suggests. They are very different headphones but I guess the point is that the Amiron is extremely good value at its price point.

Nice review from WhatFi. They gave the Z1R five stars too.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #493 of 2,669

It's good to see the Amiron getting more love.  They've been a sleeper for a while, flying under the radard.

True, not sure why the Amiron as well as the DT 1990 aren't getting more love. I find them the best value for you money currently out. I guess people avoided them because of Beyers reputation of being bright, when in all honesty neither are what I'd call bright, especially the Amiron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back