Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 1, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #229 of 2,674

That is a bummer if true. Any thoughts on the sound and comfort vs the DT1990?

Well it seems the pads are removable, just on there tighter than any Beyer I've tried before, the pad lip is a clear plastic, pads are definitely different on these. Pads are annoying to put back on unless you take the plastic thing covering the driver, and there is a second shorter lip under the clear one that also needs to go over the pad frame otherwise they won't go on right. Uses the same pad system as the DT 1770/1990 with the included notch to help get the pad on. Haven't looked inside yet to see what thedriver and dampening are like. Comfort is better than the DT 1990, it's quite light in the clamp, feels like the T1 on my head but with a more comfortable headband and not quite as deep earcups. Sound-wise I need some time, but seems more relaxed and a bit tighter. The DT 1990 comes off as more dynamic and intimate.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #230 of 2,674
  Well it seems the pads are removable, just on there tighter than any Beyer I've tried before, the pad lip is a clear plastic, pads are definitely different on these. Pads are annoying to put back on unless you take the plastic thing covering the driver, and there is a second shorter lip under the clear one that also needs to go over the pad frame otherwise they won't go on right. Uses the same pad system as the DT 1770/1990 with the included notch to help get the pad on. Haven't looked inside yet to see what thedriver and dampening are like. Comfort is better than the DT 1990, it's quite light in the clamp, feels like the T1 on my head but with a more comfortable headband and not quite as deep earcups. Sound-wise I need some time, but seems more relaxed and a bit tighter. The DT 1990 comes off as more dynamic and intimate.

Looking forward to your impressions. I like my DT1990 but they can be a tad fatiguing after a while. Do you think certain genres would prefer one over the other? 

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #231 of 2,674
  ......I like my DT1990 but they can be a tad fatiguing after a while. ? 

Ive just ordered these Andrew... how long is a while, before they become fatiquing ?  Have you compared them against the DT1770s at all ?  (OR has anyone else, come to that matter ?)  I was in two minds on the 1990s... very little info out there and no video comparisons of the two models.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #232 of 2,674

Looking forward to your impressions. I like my DT1990 but they can be a tad fatiguing after a while. Do you think certain genres would prefer one over the other? 

Ah, I don't have fatigue issues with my DT 1990, could be the system. It's possible, the Amirons more relaxed sound seems like it will do better with more relaxed genres while the DT 1990 would be better for more aggressive. But still a bit early. My experience is Tesla Beyers tend to fill out a bit bass and mid wise with break-in and the treble smoothens out a little. I've also owned 2 different DT 1990's, my second one sounds a little different and honestly slightly better, though slight variance from unit to unit especially from different batches is nothing unusual. The bigger difference is some reason this DT 1990 doesn't pick up amp noise near as easily as my first one or my DT 1770, my Amiron seems to pick up noise a bit easier as well but not as much as my DT 1770 or Nighthawks. I am curious if the Amiron's use the same driver as the DT 1770/1990 with the same ability to easily swap them out, will look inside the Amirons later. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #233 of 2,674
First meet of the year coming up this weekend. Though meets have high ambient noise levels, I hope someone has DT1770, DT1990, and/or Amiron Home that I can plug in for a while.

Regardless, I'll keep watching this thread for impressions. The Headfonia review was worthwhile.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #234 of 2,674
So far I'm really getting the impression the DT 1770/1990 and Amiron use different drivers based on their sound profile. The Dt 1770 and DT 1990 behave rather similarly on gear and share more characteristics sound wise with each other than with the Amiron. The Amiron so far is sounding more akin to the T1.2 but darker and warmer, it doesn't seem to have the same visceral slam or tactility found in the DT 1770/1990 but rather the Amiron has a sound signature that seems to allow you to focus more on detail. A good way to describe their sound compared to each other(so far) in very simple terms is that the DT 1990 sounds meatier while the Amiron sounds more delicate. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #235 of 2,674
out of the box and unamped it already sounds good 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #236 of 2,674

Would you mind briefly comparing the Amiron to the Nighthawk ?  Thanks

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #237 of 2,674
  So far I'm really getting the impression the DT 1770/1990 and Amiron use different drivers based on their sound profile. The Dt 1770 and DT 1990 behave rather similarly on gear and share more characteristics sound wise with each other than with the Amiron. The Amiron so far is sounding more akin to the T1.2 but darker and warmer, it doesn't seem to have the same visceral slam or tactility found in the DT 1770/1990 but rather the Amiron has a sound signature that seems to allow you to focus more on detail. A good way to describe their sound compared to each other(so far) in very simple terms is that the DT 1990 sounds meatier while the Amiron sounds more delicate. 

Admittedly, I haven't tried the DT1990, but the comparison of the frequency response curves earlier in the thread would lead me to suspect the are the same drivers but with different housing, damping, etc.  We probably won't know for sure until someone disassembles them both and finds the same or different part numbers (assuming they are labeled).

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #238 of 2,674

Admittedly, I haven't tried the DT1990, but the comparison of the frequency response curves earlier in the thread would lead me to suspect the are the same drivers but with different housing, damping, etc.  We probably won't know for sure until someone disassembles them both and finds the same or different part numbers (assuming they are labeled).

True, but so far they don't sound all that similar despite the similar curves, it's rather interesting. I do plan on dissembling the Amiron soon. I have dissembled the DT 1770/1990 and know what they look like inside.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #239 of 2,674
  Would you mind briefly comparing the Amiron to the Nighthawk ?  Thanks

It's still a bit early, but the Nighthawk is notably thicker and richer sounding with a more present and deeper extending bass. The Nighthawk sounds a bit more dynamic and has a more liquid texture with a slower decay to it's sound the Amiron has a drier texture with a quicker decay. The Nighthawks can be a little too thick at times, while it doesn't really sound muddy this does hurt the mids at times. The treble is more subdued on the Hawks and the mids are less forward than on the Amirons. The Amirons have a quicker tighter sound to it overall but also has a bit more bite in the treble.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #240 of 2,674
It's still a bit early, but the Nighthawk is notably thicker and richer sounding with a more present and deeper extending bass. The Nighthawk sounds a bit more dynamic and has a more liquid texture with a slower decay to it's sound the Amiron has a drier texture with a quicker decay. The Nighthawks can be a little too thick at times, while it doesn't really sound muddy this does hurt the mids at times. The treble is more subdued on the Hawks and the mids are less forward than on the Amirons. The Amirons have a quicker tighter sound to it overall but also has a bit more bite in the treble.

Which do you prefer at this time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back