Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 1, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #243 of 2,674
Interesting! What are you using to drive the Amiron's?

Two different amps, same DAC. Using the Sony UDA-1(also a DAC) and the Project Sunrise III to drive the Amiron. Haven't gotten to finding the best tube for the Amiron yet. But it does sound really good out of the Sony(it's actually at it's best with 200-300 ohm headphones).

The Amiron still needs to burn-in fully(tesla beyers change a lot in my experience), before I see how I like it overall compared to the DT 1990 and my favorite headphone, my modified DT 480(essentially a DT 48 in a different housing). I wouldn't take my initial impressions too seriously. I am doing a full comparison review of the Amiron Home vs DT 1990 in the future.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #244 of 2,674
Two different amps, same DAC. Using the Sony UDA-1(also a DAC) and the Project Sunrise III to drive the Amiron. Haven't gotten to finding the best tube for the Amiron yet. But it does sound really good out of the Sony(it's actually at it's best with 200-300 ohm headphones).

The Amiron still needs to burn-in fully(tesla beyers change a lot in my experience), before I see how I like it overall compared to the DT 1990 and my favorite headphone, my modified DT 480(essentially a DT 48 in a different housing). I wouldn't take my initial impressions too seriously. I am doing a full comparison review of the Amiron Home vs DT 1990 in the future.

Sounds great. I used to own the 1770 but have never heard the 1990. If you could maybe just mention a small comparison to the 1770, that would be great!

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #245 of 2,674
Sounds great. I used to own the 1770 but have never heard the 1990. If you could maybe just mention a small comparison to the 1770, that would be great!

No problem. The DT 1990(balance pads) is essentially a perfected DT 1770(velours), a lot more depth to it's sound so everything sounds bigger and more expansive and it does have a smidgen more treble energy. The DT 1990 is one of the few open-backs I find the sub-bass doesn't really roll-off on either. Plus no weird dips in the midrange like on the DT 1770. A full-bodied and quite neutral headphone, reminds me of a more dynamic HD 600 in a sense. The Amiron already gained a lot of bass presence, had it running on pink noise all night, it honestly sounded a bit thin and hollow directly out of the box, it's already filling in quite nicely, starting to remind me a bit of the HD 650. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #246 of 2,674
No problem. The DT 1990(balance pads) is essentially a perfected DT 1770(velours), a lot more depth to it's sound so everything sounds bigger and more expansive and it does have a smidgen more treble energy. The DT 1990 is one of the few open-backs I find the sub-bass doesn't really roll-off on either. Plus no weird dips in the midrange like on the DT 1770. A full-bodied and quite neutral headphone, reminds me of a more dynamic HD 600 in a sense. The Amiron already gained a lot of bass presence, had it running on pink noise all night, it honestly sounded a bit thin and hollow directly out of the box, it's already filling in quite nicely, starting to remind me a bit of the HD 650. 

Thank you for that. Does the Amiron bass bleed into the mids or is it more controlled than the 1770 which I thought had too much mid bass?

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #247 of 2,674
Thank you for that. Does the Amiron bass bleed into the mids or is it more controlled than the 1770 which I thought had too much mid bass?

No problem. I do find the mid-bass accentuated on the Amiron but don't find it to bleed in the mids, well not like the Nighthawks can, but it does have a softer texture to it so far than the DT 1770/1990. If you find the DT 1770 to have too much mid-bass, you will probably find the DT 1990 with balanced pads to have too much, but the DT 1990 has the analytical pads which eliminates the boosted mid-bass and makes the headphone quite linear with tight powerful bass. I personally like some extra mid-bass though so I use the balanced pads more. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #248 of 2,674
No problem. I do find the mid-bass accentuated on the Amiron but don't find it to bleed in the mids, well not like the Nighthawks can, but it does have a softer texture to it so far than the DT 1770/1990. If you find the DT 1770 to have too much mid-bass, you will probably find the DT 1990 with balanced pads to have too much, but the DT 1990 has the analytical pads which eliminates the boosted mid-bass and makes the headphone quite linear with tight powerful bass. I personally like some extra mid-bass though so I use the balanced pads more. 

Thank you for being so helpful. I appreciate it!

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #250 of 2,674
No problem. Btw how is the Nightowl? I haven't had the chance to hear it yet.

It's a great headphone with a truly messed up cord that is just inexplicable from a company known for making high end audio cables. It just baffles me. It's as thick as Roseanne Barr on the bottom, too short for home use, too long and stupid bulky for portable, and doesn't play nice with Apple products.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #251 of 2,674
It's a great headphone with a truly messed up cord that is just inexplicable from a company known for making high end audio cables. It just baffles me. It's as thick as Roseanne Barr on the bottom, too short for home use, too long and stupid bulky for portable, and doesn't play nice with Apple products.

In regards to home use, is it as short as rossane Barr as well?

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #252 of 2,674

​Do you have any idea when that Amiron vs DT1990 will be ?  Ive just bought the DT1990s.  Can you also tell me the best way to burn in headphones... only having had cheap rubbish before, its a concept I am not familiar with.  Thanks

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #253 of 2,674

​Do you have any idea when that Amiron vs DT1990 will be ?  Ive just bought the DT1990s.  Can you also tell me the best way to burn in headphones... only having had cheap rubbish before, its a concept I am not familiar with.  Thanks

Probably in a week or two. Just using them normally works fine. But you can also have them playing music while not in use or use pink noise. I personally do a mixture of all three.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #255 of 2,674
  Can you also tell me the best way to burn in headphones... only having had cheap rubbish before, its a concept I am not familiar with.  Thanks

Burn-in happens inside your head, as your brains get adjusted to the new/different sound signature. (So it is performed by putting the cans on your head and listening to music, not by leaving them on the table.) Sure, the headphones might actually change a tiny bit over time, but that will happen naturally and does not require you to play "carefully selected" sound clips over and over again. And definitely you can't ruin your brand new expensive headphones by opting to skip that step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back