Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 3, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #256 of 2,674

Have you ever tried the HD650's? I had to sell mine due to the shallow earcups so would be interested to know how these compare in size.

Cheers

I have the HD650s. The fit between the two is very different. I prefer the roomier Amiron (it's circular instead of oval) and I did not have any issue with my ears touching the inner driver cover. I think the lighter clamping force of the Amiron preserves the shape of the pads better and is more comfortable too. If you have tried on other Beyerdynamics before (DT990, T90, etc.), the fit is similar.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #257 of 2,674
  Two different amps, same DAC. Using the Sony UDA-1(also a DAC) and the Project Sunrise III to drive the Amiron. Haven't gotten to finding the best tube for the Amiron yet. But it does sound really good out of the Sony(it's actually at it's best with 200-300 ohm headphones).

The Amiron still needs to burn-in fully(tesla beyers change a lot in my experience), before I see how I like it overall compared to the DT 1990 and my favorite headphone, my modified DT 480(essentially a DT 48 in a different housing). I wouldn't take my initial impressions too seriously. I am doing a full comparison review of the Amiron Home vs DT 1990 in the future.

I'd love to hear what you find with tubes for the Sunrise/Amiron.   I have the same setup.  

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #258 of 2,674
just ordered the beyerdynamic balanced cable, the amiron home already pairs very well with my violectric v281 in unbalanced, going balanced should make it sound even better, cant wait.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #259 of 2,674

I have the HD650s. The fit between the two is very different. I prefer the roomier Amiron (it's circular instead of oval) and I did not have any issue with my ears touching the inner driver cover. I think the lighter clamping force of the Amiron preserves the shape of the pads better and is more comfortable too. If you have tried on other Beyerdynamics before (DT990, T90, etc.), the fit is similar.

I'm new to the Beyer sound, which I've avoided it in the past as i've issues with bright trebles (HD700), and was lead to believe their signature wouldn't agree with me.

From what i've read these are a lot different to their "normal" in house sound, or would I be wrong?

I was seriously been debating buying another pair of HD700s due to the comfort (minus the occasional ear pain), and EQ' them, or trying the HE400i, but was put off by the poor build quality. I was also peaked by the MDR-Z7s that have an incredible build, but its closed and also garners very mixed opinions.

That was until I came across the DT 1990 which I really like the look of aesthetically (as well as the fact it includes cables i'd want) and from initial reports was reading the treble was tame, and would right up my street.

As I researched further I kept reading conflicting reports on its treble energy, which put me off, and is where I stumbled across these.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. Thanks for your response, I'd imagine the Amiron's should be fine, fit wise, so will order try and get a pair this week (unless someone convinces me the DT 1990s will be amazing for me)

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #260 of 2,674
Replaced the cable last week for the textile covered 1.4m replacement cable: I'm done now :)
Recently listened to an AKG K612 which has a nice spacious sound but I hated the hard hitting highs as you can hear on Metallica's 'Nothing else matters'. Listened to the same track with the Amiron Homes afterwards, they reduced the highs a bit and delivered a ton more in the low end section. Ever since I got the Amiron Homes they get all the listening time and for 2 main reasons:
- Very enjoyable sound signature which is never fatiguing, not even after hours of listening
- Most comfortable headphones I have ever owned.
BeyerDynamic hit a homerun for me; even if you could argue that they are not the most reveiling headphones known to man (due to the relaxed signature) they are a league of their own if measured by comfort and the ability to be enjoyable for hours and hours.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #261 of 2,674
  Replaced the cable last week for the textile covered 1.4m replacement cable: I'm done now :)
Recently listened to an AKG K612 which has a nice spacious sound but I hated the hard hitting highs as you can hear on Metallica's 'Nothing else matters'. Listened to the same track with the Amiron Homes afterwards, they reduced the highs a bit and delivered a ton more in the low end section. Ever since I got the Amiron Homes they get all the listening time and for 2 main reasons:
- Very enjoyable sound signature which is never fatiguing, not even after hours of listening
- Most comfortable headphones I have ever owned.
BeyerDynamic hit a homerun for me; even if you could argue that they are not the most reveiling headphones known to man (due to the relaxed signature) they are a league of their own if measured by comfort and the ability to be enjoyable for hours and hours.

The Amirons are great. Really enjoying them for their more laid-back sound. If I want more energetic and tactile sound, I just switch to the DT 1990. As for whether I like the Amirons more than the DT 1990 I haven't decided. I like the comfort of both, I can wear either for hours. Really debating which sound signature I prefer overall. Neither fatigue me at all though the DT 1990 is brighter but also a bit richer sounding in the mids. The K612 varied a lot when I had them, the Austrian pair I had was neutral, smooth, with surprisingly hard hitting bass and the Chinese pair well pretty much sucked and had no body to it's sound with a horrible treble. Honestly the Amirons sound like the HD 650 and the T1.2 had a lovechild. Most non-Beyer like Beyer I've heard but still has a bit of Beyer to it. The DT 1990 still sounds like a Beyer, just one of the rare darker/warmer ones, others being the DT 150 and the DT 1770.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #264 of 2,674
Is the Amiron "laid back" only relative to the Beyerdynamic traditional signature or like other headphones with that reputation (e.g. Nighthawk, HD650)? Just trying to get a sense of whether the Amiron warmer tilt comes at the expense of losing that crispness or snap of the Beyerdynamic sound.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #265 of 2,674
Is the Amiron "laid back" only relative to the Beyerdynamic traditional signature or like other headphones with that reputation (e.g. Nighthawk, HD650)? Just trying to get a sense of whether the Amiron warmer tilt comes at the expense of losing that crispness or snap of the Beyerdynamic sound.

Laid-back as in close to HD 600/650 laid-back but they can have a bit of bite to them at times compared to the Senns, but overall it has a soft laid-back presence. Personally for me the Amiron is an upgrade to the HD 650. I honestly don't find the Hawks laid-back, actually a bit too dynamically intense to be considered laid-back to my ears. It does lose some of that crispness and snap. If you want the Beyer crispness and snap without being too bright, the DT 1990 is the better choice. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #266 of 2,674

​Kman1211... how would you say the Amirons/DT1990's compare to say the DT880 as an alternative choice for the lower budget ?

If you are able to get the Amiron/DT 1990 on sale, I would take them over the DT 880. They sound better without an amp, they are more refined, detailed, etc, they are less fatiguing, and more comfortable. They have removable cables as well. Also there will be less desire to upgrade them. It really depends if you can afford them without issue or not and if you get a good deal on them, I don't see any reason not to get them.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #267 of 2,674
Laid-back as in close to HD 600/650 laid-back but they can have a bit of bite to them at times compared to the Senns, but overall it has a soft laid-back presence. Personally for me the Amiron is an upgrade to the HD 650. I honestly don't find the Hawks laid-back, actually a bit too dynamically intense to be considered laid-back to my ears. It does lose some of that crispness and snap. If you want the Beyer crispness and snap without being too bright, the DT 1990 is the better choice. 

Thanks ...I've always wanted to try the 1990 because I hear the soundstage and dynamic punch is excellent. The only reservation I have is the clamping force. I am in the minority who think the 650 is uncomfortable because of its vice grip. I would hope the 1990 is more comfortable.

I've been enjoying the 880 quite a bit so wanted to try out other Beyerdynamic open models.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #268 of 2,674
Thanks ...I've always wanted to try the 1990 because I hear the soundstage and dynamic punch is excellent. The only reservation I have is the clamping force. I am in the minority who think the 650 is uncomfortable because of its vice grip. I would hope the 1990 is more comfortable.

I've been enjoying the 880 quite a bit so wanted to try out other Beyerdynamic open models.

No problem. I like the DT 1990 quite a bit, currently like the Amiron and DT 1990 about the same but for different reasons. Clamp is strong like the Senns on the DT 1990 but the pads are better, but it may still be a problem for you. 

Honestly I think Beyer is sometimes underrated, I find them among some of the best at achieving tonal accuracy of all brands, this even shows with their vintage stuff, yes some of them run bright, but they make some great open and closed headphones. I'm glad they are finally they are making their open-backs a bit darker but not overly so. The Tesla's are a bit different sounding than the DT Beyers, honestly a bit more euphoric and the treble has less harshness(but still has bite). One reason I preferred the Dt 1990 to the Focal Elear is simply because the DT 1990 got me enthralled with the music more and the mids had more body. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #270 of 2,674
I should be getting the Amiron on Friday. Looking forward to trying them out as they seem to in line with my sound signature preferences and comfort requirements. It was a tough choice between the 1990 and Amiron but I went with the latter just because of what appears to be lighter weight and softer clamping force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back