Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jan 3, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #197 of 2,668
  Just want some advice regarding these headphones. I can get the T90 at a very cheap price around 300 dollars so should I get it or save up my money?  

I paid a bit less for a used pair and am pretty happy. Lack of bass (compared to DT 990) was a bit of a let down but otherwise T 90 beats it everywhere... although I am thinking about investing into a pair of DT 1990s or maybe this Amiron Home, if I can find it for listening first.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #199 of 2,668
This Amiron is a headphone with the finishing and a comfort of high level, light sold at a reasonable price I find no fault. It offers a balanced look at the slightly 'warm' signature, it is balanced in the sense that the DT1990 will be slightly '' V '' for the example. But this balance of the "warm" side of the force will give at any moment in any case for me a slight lack of biting especially on the treble. Apart from this particular signature stamps, the placement the soundstage are of good level it is a headphone easy to live and versatile !

I listened to a can of everything, whether it is on classic, electro, rock he always did well the job. I think it is best suited to jazz, voice, classical Baroque and even great ensembles. The dynamics is good thanks to the driver tesla v2, the cable change allows to consider balanced and other listening to the dap even if it is the 250ohm the Meizu Pro5 drives very well.

Why I have much, much hesitated to keep it ? Already I had my DT1990 at 472 € on amazon + 65 € of cable Oyade, it put it in a ratio price / sound according to me is great. Then it would be necessary to add a cable at least "hybrid" to give a spark of brightness to the Amiron and if it is not sufficient to envisage another source than the IDSD-Black ...
I had the opportunity to find an Alo Panam, I may have been able to wait for me to decide but I finally concluded that it is the '' bite '' a less balanced DT1990 that I like more. And so it is around him that I will choose to keep the Panam or the IDSD-Black

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #200 of 2,668
Thanks for the comparison. I've been looking for a new set of open back headphones, and I might pick up the Amiron Home as my next pair because I liked the 1990 but thought it had too much of a V shape for me.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #201 of 2,668
I've tried both the 1990 and the Amiron, and I'll have to say that the Amiron sounds much more comfortable than the 1990. The 1990 wore me out after an hour or so, while I can just about forget the Amiron is on my head for any length of hours. The treble on the 1990 is very similar to previous Beyers, so I would stay away from it unless you have a strong desire for more detail.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #202 of 2,668
I've been loving my Amiron over the past week and a half.  They have such a well balanced, warm yet detailed sound - and they're so comfortable, never fatiguing either in sound or comfort.  Being a longtime fan of the Sennheiser house sound, I recently began exploring the Beyerdynamic sound with the DT880, appreciating the added detail in the treble, but only in limited doses.  The Amiron really strikes the perfect balance.

Maybe it's still the honeymoon phase, but I haven't found myself reaching for my HD650's (except to compare to the Amiron) - and that hasn't happened with any other new 'phones, including the Elear.  Bravo, Beyerdynamic!

Sadly the DT1990 seems to have gotten more attention, maybe due to timing, due to the lineage of the DT line, or who knows what.  But the Amiron really are something special that deserves greater consideration.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #203 of 2,668
I've been loving my Amiron over the past week and a half.  They have such a well balanced, warm yet detailed sound - and they're so comfortable, never fatiguing either in sound or comfort.  Being a longtime fan of the Sennheiser house sound, I recently began exploring the Beyerdynamic sound with the DT880, appreciating the added detail in the treble, but only in limited doses.  The Amiron really strikes the perfect balance.

Maybe it's still the honeymoon phase, but I haven't found myself reaching for my HD650's (except to compare to the Amiron) - and that hasn't happened with any other new 'phones, including the Elear.  Bravo, Beyerdynamic!

Sadly the DT1990 seems to have gotten more attention, maybe due to timing, due to the lineage of the DT line, or who knows what.  But the Amiron really are something special that deserves greater consideration.

So you own the Elear as well?

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #204 of 2,668
So you own the Elear as well?

Yes.  I've had my Elear since September and really like them, but most of the time I would still listen to my HD650 or HD600.  Now the Amiron has taken the place of the HD6X0.  The Elear does have something special above the Amiron, but the Amiron are more balanced and comfortable (both in sound and comfort).

The HD650 or the Amiron (even better) are perfect for everyday listening, while I like to save something like the Elear for occasional, "special" use.  For some, a lower end headphone might be perfect for everyday listening, while they save the HD650 or Amiron for something special.  Or for some, they might listen to their best headphone 100% of the time.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #205 of 2,668

Honestly both the Amiron and DT 1990 are excellent, I wouldn't really say one is better than each other, just different. Peoples opinions of the two will differ due to preference. I personally like the more dynamic and intimate sound of the DT 1990 more than the Amirons more laid-back and relaxed sound. I wouldn't be surprised if the honeymoon phase doesn't end on the Amiron, it hasn't for me on the DT 1990.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #206 of 2,668
Maybe these will be my new gaming phones.

Man I like the way you think! I heard these the other day at our store and I thought they were really comfortable. I am going to do some A/B with them versus other cans in the store to try and nail down their signature.... But i want to take them home and play battlefield 1 lol.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #207 of 2,668
Heres a comparison i found

thoailong87 - Reddit

I’ve had the chance to test out the new Beyerdynamic Amiron Home’s, and after extensive listening, I’d like to share some of my thoughts on these headphones. It seems Beyerdynamic has a love/hate relationship on this sub, with most people seeming to like or appreciate the DT770’s, but not so much everything else. I had the DT770’s for about a year and really liked them for what they were: my first “audiophile” grade pair of headphones. Time taught me that there were better choices for my tastes, and so I managed to avoid everything else by Beyer for years. However, when they announced the Amirons, I thought it would be nice to give them another try and at least compare them to my current gold standard headphones, HD650’s modded with the (1) quarter mod, (2) Damplifier Pro, (3) spider cage/foam removal. Tests were done using various tracks on Tidal with HiFi enabled, Soundblaster X7 at the computer with some FPS gaming, and my Bifrost MB/Lyr 2 with Amperex 7308 tubes in the bedroom.

Build quality/Styling – IMO, Beyerdynamic has consistently been ahead of Sennheiser in terms of materials used. Despite plastics used in both models, the fit and finish on the Amirons gives a feel of premium quality but also durability. I remember my DT770s being tanks, a sentiment that I have seen often by others on this sub throughout the years. Who knows if the Amirons will live up to this standard long-term, but I see no reason why they won’t. Of course, Sennheiser has a reputation for great build quality as well, and I truly have no problem with the HD650, other than some minor creaking in the headphone frame during adjustments. The Amirons definitely follow the Beyer industrial design, which I happen to like, whereas the HD650s are typical Sennheiser (meh). I’ve seen people report the headband cracking on the HD650’s, but this seems to be more of an issue if you stretch the headband (duh, the material is stiff plastic, it will break if strained enough). The headband on the Amirons is covered with a microsuede material, and mannn it is comfortable. The HD650’s use a thick foam that is also comfortable, but doesn’t look or feel as nice. I tend to develop hotspots on headphones, but neither of these give me any trouble. Detachable cables for both (yay!). I have a big head, so the HD650s clamp pretty hard. The Amirons are pretty loose fitting, so pick your preference. Amirons: 9, HD650: 8.5

Packaging/Accessories – The HD650’s come in a box with a ¼ in plug and cable, same as the Amirons. However, Beyer does you one better by packaging the headphones in a nice hard carrying case, which is something more companies should do. Otherwise, nothing to complain or brag about. Amirons: 9, HD650: 8

Sound – here we go, the important part. The first thing you notice about the Amirons is its superior soundstage to the HD650’s. It’s been awhile since I’ve heard the HD800, but I don’t remember them being head & shoulders above what I’ve been hearing in the Amirons. The Amirons give a greater sense of instrument separation and clearcut imaging than the HD650’s, which are more intimate and present a more general, cohesive sound. Listening to the Amirons, you can really get a sense of holographic positioning of the instruments and voices. I imagine the HD650s with a soundstage that is 180 degrees L to R, whereas the Amirons have more of a 270 field, and better depth. After the mods, bass on the HD650 really tightened up and could reach quite thunderous levels given the right source, like explosions in Rainbow Six. The Amiron’s bass is quite good, but I think the subbass on the HD650 is still more prominent. Midbass on the Amirons seem to have more texture and nuance, also with more separation between the mids and bass. The mid to treble on the Amiron are a mixed bag compared to the HD650’s. Instruments certainly have a forward presentation, with lovely details in the guitar plucks and vibrating violin strings that engross you in the music, almost giving you a sense of a live performance. Drums are more snappy than thunderous. However, the vocals on the HD650 seem to be more forward. Treble and mids presentation on the Amirons give an almost metallic sound, which I attribute to a more forward treble and possibly Beyer tuning. Switching back to the HD650’s, I immediately think I hear a veil, but this disappears after 10 minutes and is just my brain readjusting to the less forward treble. I don’t think one is truly “better sounding” than the other. It comes down to preference, and for me, I actually prefer the cohesive, relaxing sound signature of the HD650s to the more detailed Amirons.

Value – The HD650s have more value, hands down. Listening to the Amirons, I did not find anything about this headphone that was head and shoulders better than the HD650s, other than treble detail, which could often times be too much. If you really need the better detail/soundstaging and prefer the Beyer build/comfort, it’s not a bad buy. 

Im definitely looking to get a pair of amirons

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #208 of 2,668
I had the opportunity to try the Amiron (out of the Chord Mojo, no less) a few weeks ago and I liked what I heard very much.

Build quality and comfort are top-notch – I'd like to compare the Sennheiser HD 600 against the Amiron sometime. The Amiron sell for as little as $600 here, which makes them much more expensive than the Sennheisers (occasionally available in the $300s).

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #209 of 2,668
  I had the opportunity to try the Amiron (out of the Chord Mojo, no less) a few weeks ago and I liked what I heard very much.

Build quality and comfort are top-notch – I'd like to compare the Sennheiser HD 600 against the Amiron sometime. The Amiron sell for as little as $600 here, which makes them much more expensive than the Sennheisers (occasionally available in the $300s).

Having the Amiron, the HD600, and the HD650, I consider the Amiron a step above the other two.  The HD600 & HD650 are a better value at $250-$300 as they can be sometimes found, but I expect the Amiron will also start to come down in price.  I got my Amiron for sale for $430 during the holidays.  I'm not so sure I'd pay the full $600, even though I really enjoy them.  I'd expect it would be pretty easy to find them for $500 or less if you shopped around.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #210 of 2,668
I own the older T 90 model aswell as HD650 and also have to concede that the HD650 can't really fight fair and square. It has one very specific thing that it does better – vocals. It's almost as if the cans were finetuned for music that puts emphasis on the singing. The T 90 is far more accurate, has wider sound stage and cleaner sound. (My complaint with the T 90 is that it sounds sometimes weird, maybe like 'tinny' or 'bleak', but I hope Amiron has that fixed.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back