Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,006 of 2,669
I have the Amirons. I also prefer to listen at lower volume levels. Very good with my Amiron. Relaxing. No listeners fatigue. I consider them to be my best open headphone.

For lower level listening definitely get the Amiron over the DT 1990. The DT 1990 shines at louder volumes. Both do well at louder volumes but I found the Amiron really took the cake at lower volumes and the DT 1990 was a bit better louder. As to why, it's likely the Amiron's better extended treble.

Thank you for the answers! That is very good to hear.

Also thank you kman1211 for your detailed review/comparison between the Amiron Home and the DT 1990 here. That was a good write up.

I can't believe how rarely people discuss the low volume performance of headphones. For something that you use a lot it seems essential that it also excels at low volume so you don't have to crank it up all the time to get your moneys worth. I was initially considering something in the HD 6xx series but then I found some user reports that seemed to imply that they needed quite a bit of volume to shine. Grado's are apparently also very good at low volumes. But they don't seem to be good all-rounders. They are often recommended for specific genres.

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,008 of 2,669

Also thank you kman1211 for your detailed review/comparison between the Amiron Home and the DT 1990 here. That was a good write up.

I can't believe how rarely people discuss the low volume performance of headphones. For something that you use a lot it seems essential that it also excels at low volume so you don't have to crank it up all the time to get your moneys worth. I was initially considering something in the HD 6xx series but then I found some user reports that seemed to imply that they needed quite a bit of volume to shine. Grado's are apparently also very good at low volumes. But they don't seem to be good all-rounders. They are often recommended for specific genres.
I think this is incredibly important as well. I really appreciate cans that allow you to get the most detail out of them without having to get too high on the volume control. I feel like the Focal Elear, Clear and Utopia all share this characteristic. There are many more but thats just off the top of my head.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,009 of 2,669

As someone who listens at a lower volume level most of the time I agree that the HD600/650/6XX do sound better at the upper end of my listening preference while Grado's sound better at the lower end of my listening preference. I think the SR225e with some mods (dynamat, felt, G-pads) is a great all around headphone that is also very easy to drive for those that don't want to bother with having to use an amp. Alternative drivers from Nhoord, Elleven Acoustica, Turbulent and Symphones are even better than comparative priced Grado headphones and to me and some others even better sounding and make better all around headphones.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #1,010 of 2,669
I just got the Amiron Home headphones the other day, along with a Beyerdynamic-made balanced cable. I already like them (straight out of the box) more than the Senn 650 or 660s (both of which have gone through substantial burn-in). My buddy that listened to them said he's definitely getting a pair after the holidays. They sound good with every genre of music I've tried. Dunno if they'll get better after some burn-in, but I'm already pretty happy with them. I think the Amiron is the proper successor to the Senn 650 more than the Senn 660s is.

I know there are many other headphones that do better with this or that than the Amirons, but I think that my search for a pair of mid-fi headphones that sound good with everything is done now (to be confirmed with further listening).

I don't understand why haven't these gotten more press or hype...weird.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,011 of 2,669
I just got the Amiron Home headphones the other day. I already like them (straight out of the box) more than the Senn 650 or 660s (both of which have gone through substantial burn-in). My buddy that listened to them said he's definitely getting a pair after the holidays. They sound good with every genre of music I've tried. Dunno if they'll get better after some burn-in, but I'm already pretty happy with them. I think the Amiron is the proper successor to the Senn 650 more than the Senn 660s is.

I know there are many other headphones that do better with this or that than the Amirons, but I'm pretty sure my search for a pair of mid-fi headphones that sound good with everything is done now.

I don't understand why haven't these gotten more press or hype...weird.

Honestly not sure why they don’t get more hype. I have the HD 660 S as well but I do find the Amiron more of a HD 650 successor but with the Tesla Beyer vividness. The HD 660 S is coming off as a HD 600 upgrade. The Amiron has darker mids than the HD 660 S. The HD 660 S has more relaxed treble but more forward mids. The Amiron is a bit more transparent and effortless of the two from what I noticed so far. I’ve had the Amiron for almost a year now, the HD 660 S is still quite new

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #1,012 of 2,669
Honestly not sure why they don’t get more hype. I have the HD 660 S as well but I do find the Amiron more of a HD 650 successor but with the Tesla Beyer vividness. The HD 660 S is coming off as a HD 600 upgrade. The Amiron has darker mids than the HD 660 S. The HD 660 S has more relaxed treble but more forward mids. The Amiron is a bit more transparent and effortless of the two from what I noticed so far. I’ve had the Amiron for almost a year now, the HD 660 S is still quite new

How is the bass between the Amiron og 660 S? I would assume that Amiron has more quantity and maybe also quality. Or is it more like the DT1990, faster, hit a bit harder. I have to admit, i love the bass on the Amiron, perfect quality and quantity.

I follow the 660 S tread, but not really sure i need it when i have both the DT1990 and the Amiron and still really like both.

And thanks for all your comparisons, they are really helpful :).

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #1,013 of 2,669
How is the bass between the Amiron og 660 S? I would assume that Amiron has more quantity and maybe also quality. Or is it more like the DT1990, faster, hit a bit harder. I have to admit, i love the bass on the Amiron, perfect quality and quantity.

I follow the 660 S tread, but not really sure i need it when i have both the DT1990 and the Amiron and still really like both.

And thanks for all your comparisons, they are really helpful :).

The HD 660 S is more akin to the DT 1990 with mellow highs and not quite as vivid as the DT 1990 is, it's definitely more vivid and dynamic than the HD 600 and HD 650 though. Think a softer, warmer, less dry more Sennheiserish DT 1990 and you have the HD 660 S. Bass is similar in quantity and quality to the Amiron but has a slightly different tone to it. I don't think it's as snappy as the DT 1990 bass.

If you have the DT 1990 still then I would say your fine. The HD 660 S fills in the DT 1990's role for me, I feel the HD 660 S and DT 1990 may compete a bit. The HD 660 S is more of a midrange lovers headphone, more forward but not hard sounding mids like AKGs can be, so I find it a nice complement to the Amiron. The different sound presentation makes me appreciate the music a bit differently.

I find the bass to midrange transition a bit thicker sounding than either Beyer. It's more intimate sounding than either Beyer, it's intimacy isn't really much different than the other HD 6xx family headphones.

I'll do a more thorough comparison of the Amiron and HD 660 S down the road, impressions may change as I am finding the HD 660 S has changed a bit and it's pads need to break in more.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #1,014 of 2,669
I've decided on getting the Amiron Home. Bu I'm now thinking of getting the NFB 11.28 instead of the Schiit stack (Magni 3 + Modi). In europe the prices are quite close but per internet opinions the NFB 11.28 is better.

Any opinions with regards to amps before I pull the trigger? :)

Dec 25, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,020 of 2,669
Just ordered these! My current headphones are the DT 880, hopefully these will be a significant improvement. Just a shame they don't supply an shorter cable along with the headphones.

I have the DT880 and I have to admit that I have have only used them a couple of times since getting the Amiron. I bought a shorter cable on ebay for a reasonable price. I will post more info on that tomorrow. Maybe I will take a photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back