Beyerdynamic 880DT 600ohn Premiums paired with ASUS Essence STX - some questions
Jul 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

timmymagic07

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am a relative newbie when it comes to headphones, other than previously having owned some Sennheiser DH580s which I have since misplaced, although to my shame only ever paired with on board sound. 

After some reading up on various threads on this site, I opted for the 880DTs 600ohn with an ASUS Essence STX card, with truly terrific results. I have been astounded having received them yesterday at the sound quality and difference to my previous setup, listening to Superstition (FLAC) for example, sounds so much better it is unreal. I generally use them for music, movies, games, so an all rounder really. 

At this early stage though, I do have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with, particularly around setup and trying to get the best out of them.

Firstly - I have noticed that when playing certain songs (in FLAC format), the sound can sometimes cut out and become distorted and this appears to happen randomly. I.e. it doesn't happen at the exact same time of the song, it just cuts out at random intervals. Is this due to a lack of power? 

Leading on - from reading around it would appear I am going to need to get a decent amp in order to get the best out of these things, but I am also reluctant to spend too much cash, especially as this combo has already cost me in excess of £300.. I am really looking for bang for buck when it comes to the amp, I would be willing to spend around £150 if there is a need, but at the same time I really want to avoid spending too much. I read something about tube amps from Chine on ebay, is this worth a look? To be completely honest, I really know so little that any advice/pointing in the right direction would be very useful. 

One of the reasons I do not want to spend too much, is I have an old IPOD classic, 30GB that I want to be able to possibly use with the 880DTs, although I understand this is a tall order due to the 600ohn factor. Are there any reasonably priced portable amps that are worth a shot?

In terms of setup of the STX/DT880s - are there any settings I should be particularly aware of? Are the Movie, Games, Music etc. pre-configured settings sufficient? I have changed the more basic settings to select the 600ohn on the HP Advance Setting, but haven't ventured much further than that.

I guess I am really just trying to get as much out of both the headphones and the sound card as possible, having heard what a major difference it is.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 6
If the sound cuts out, I'd blame your drivers or audio playback program.

Amps are nice but you need to spend a couple of hundred to get some results. I'd say stick with what you have for the next few months until you have some money to throw around. You want to spend wisely.

Give it a go on your iPod. Compare it to the STX. Is it that bad to you?

There are a couple of STX threads floating about. Most op-amp roll with some success. I never bothered. I stared with the STX back in 2009. It's a great device for the money.

Go listen to some music :)

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
After some reading up on various threads on this site, I opted for the 880DTs 600-Ohm with an ASUS Essence STX card, with truly terrific results. I have been astounded having received them yesterday at the sound quality and difference to my previous setup, listening to Superstition (FLAC) for example, sounds so much better it is unreal. I generally use them for music, movies, games, so an all rounder really. 

Firstly - I have noticed that when playing certain songs (in FLAC format), the sound can sometimes cut out and become distorted and this appears to happen randomly. I.e. it doesn't happen at the exact same time of the song, it just cuts out at random intervals. Is this due to a lack of power? 

Leading on - from reading around it would appear I am going to need to get a decent amp in order to get the best out of these things, but I am also reluctant to spend too much cash, especially as this combo has already cost me in excess of £300.. I am really looking for bang for buck when it comes to the amp, I would be willing to spend around £150 if there is a need, but at the same time I really want to avoid spending too much. I read something about tube amps from Chine on eBay, is this worth a look? To be completely honest, I really know so little that any advice/pointing in the right direction would be very useful. 

One of the reasons I do not want to spend too much, is I have an old IPOD classic, 30GB that I want to be able to possibly use with the DT880s, although I understand this is a tall order due to the 600-Ohm factor. Are there any reasonably priced portable amps that are worth a shot?

In terms of setup of the STX/DT880s - are there any settings I should be particularly aware of? Are the Movie, Games, Music etc. pre-configured settings sufficient? I have changed the more basic settings to select the 600-Ohm on the HP Advance Setting, but haven't ventured much further than that.

Did you disable the on-board sound on your computer, in the Bios?
Try using the "Unified Xonar Drivers" at the website Brainbit.
Try using the program Foobar to pay audio files.
If you going to spend cash for an tube amplifier, wait until your ready to spend $250 for something like the Little Dot MK III.
(or at least keep an eye out for a used one on sale for a good price)
I like the single tube low cost headphone amplifiers, shipped from China, sold on eBay, but not that much different sound wise from the Essence STX Headphone amp.
I do think that the Indeed 6922 tube amplifier (on eBay) is one of the better models.
Why not just get some Sony MDR-V6 or KRK KNS 8400 for use with the iPod, 600-Ohm headphones are not easy to from portable stuff, the O2 (Objective 2) is about the only portable amp. that might do the job.
Some like adding the LME49990 op-amps to the Essence STX.
This is a good thread to read to het up to speed on the Essence STX.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Many thanks for the reply :--)

I have no disabled onboard audio, what about audio device from graphics card (GTX670)? Or is that just for the hdmi port and I should ignore?

I think your advice is sound, I will purchase separate headphones for my mobile devices and get a decent amp for the 880s for home use. Although the O2 sell for £100 here on ebay, so I might look into that too.

I have started reading that thread, should get through it by this time next year :--)

Many thanks again

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 6
With the graphics card you mentioned, I assume you'll be playing some games.  For surround sound effects with games, I recommend choosing the following settings from the Asus Xonar audio configuration utility, Main tab:

Audio Channel: 8 channels
PCM 44.1KHz (this allows compatibility with the popular FMOD audio subsystem used in many PC games and even some nVidia graphics demos)
Analog out: Headphone
SPDIF out: PCM -> 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter -> Dolby Headphone

Once that has been set, from the Playback Devices menu in the Windows audio configuration, configure the Asus speakers output as a 7.1 speaker system.  This makes every game think you have native 7.1 surround speakers and allows you to easily enable surround sound in all games and have it work so you can hear people sneaking up on you in games.

If you want your in-game explosions to kick like a theater subwoofer, there are some further settings you can change.  First, lower your main Windows volume to about 20% or less.  Back in the Asus Xonar audio configuration utility, from the Mixer tab, choose a modest level for both speakers, maybe 30.  Then go to your Effect tab and set the EQ to the following:
30Hz = +20dB
60Hz = +5dB
120Hz = -2dB
250Hz = -5dB
500Hz = -7dB
1KHz = -7dB
2KHz = -5dB
4KHz = -2dB
8KHz = 0dB
16KHz = +2dB
The environment size is medium by default.  Keep that.

The EQ settings above can be later tweaked to your taste, but the important thing is the very low frequencies are substantially boosted.

Do some low frequency tests and SLOWLY raise the Windows volume to 100% after you have confirmed that you're not making the headphone drivers rattle  (if they do rattle, turn your Mixer levels down below 30).  During this stage, it's important to make sure you're using LOW frequency tests, since this is where your limitations will be.  I have found traditional low frequency test files don't do a very good job.  Good examples on Youtube include 480p or above playback of "Tron Legacy Trailer #2," "Brisco Anita," and "Brisco Crack."  I'm not saying it's good music or perfect quality, but it's a decent test that's readily available.  Once you have a good test established, you can go back into the Xonar utility's Mixer tab and raise the playback levels evenly in 2% increments.  As you do, you'll notice the bass gets begins to rumble in a hurry.  When the drivers rattle, back off the Mixer tab's playback levels a bit, and you'll have your final settings.  This setup allows you to adjust your Windows volume to whatever feels comfortable while knowing you're getting the most out of your Essence STX amp without blowing your headphones.  By the way, unless you want to go deaf, you'll want to generally keep your Windows volume around 30% or less most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back