Beyer with no 1k flagship can?
Oct 15, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by miscreant
it is all about expressing yourself. you do want to express yourself, don't you?

Does that mean I need to wear 36 pieces of headphones?
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
X3!

Actually, Beyer understands that it is equally or more important to have quality recordings & sources behind your headphones, and that you should allocated more funds toward that.

I can't understand why people will spend $$$$ money on a pair of Grado GS-1000's or even Stax O2's, and use them with a sub-par source.

heh seems there would be a lot less k701 and hd650 users if they had a $500-1k
Uber Dt880 for fans of nuetral/dry sound. Prolly be headroom's #1 choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
My DT880's came in a leather case....

What exactly are these sorts of threads acheiving (lumping AdamCalifornias output in)? I mean discussion of headphones is great, but it really seems like a decent percentage of posts on here are for the sake of themselves these days. Spend your time listening to great music, not postulating about meaningless stuff.

on the contrary, talking shop is a crucial part of the forums just like reviews/impressions and showoff threads. Your not truely a head-fier if you cant engage in vs threads etc. Its like comic nerds with their spiderman vs batman or trekies and their picard vs shatner.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
heh seems there would be a lot less k701 and hd650 users if they had a $500-1k
Uber Dt880 for fans of nuetral/dry sound. Prolly be headroom's #1 choice.

For a $1k (ish) incarnation of the DT880's, I'd hope that they would keep the neutral part of your description, but add a little water. That would be my expectation anyway. I'm sure (if they cared to give it a try) this would be what Beyerdynamics would be gunning for as well. More of the R10 type of lushness, musicality, warmth and wetness, but without the wood and fancy case.

Oct 15, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
For a $1k (ish) incarnation of the DT880's, I'd hope that they would keep the neutral part of your description, but add a little water. That would be my expectation anyway. I'm sure (if they cared to give it a try) this would be what Beyerdynamics would be gunning for as well. More of the R10 type of lushness, musicality, warmth and wetness, but without the wood and fancy case.

Oh god that would be so hot. Especially if it was fully closed and didn't leak too much. And wood...must have wood.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Oh god that would be so hot. Especially if it was fully closed and didn't leak too much. And wood...must have wood.

Huh! I should have picked a different example. I don't think you'll see anything that will remotely remind you of the R10's for $1k. JVC sort of kind of tried to do it, but R10's the DX1000's are not!

What I was really meaning to communicate in that post was that I think the one thing Beyer should really try to reduce or eliminate if they were to attempt to tweek the DT880 sound would be the "dry" factor. If they could add a little sparkle and 'life' to the DT880's, they would have the perfect reasonably priced headphone on the market today (and here I'm talking about their current DT880 sound, not what a new $1k model might sound like).

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

What I was really meaning to communicate in that post was that I think the one thing Beyer should really try to reduce or eliminate if they were to attempt to tweek the DT880 sound would be the "dry" factor. If they could add a little sparkle and 'life' to the DT880's, they would have the perfect reasonably priced headphone on the market today (and here I'm talking about their current DT880 sound, not what a new $1k model might sound like).

So, basically, bring back the ET1000s.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
So, basically, bring back the ET1000s.
biggrin.gif

I guess so! I've never had a chance to gve them a listen myself. Do you know of anyone on Head-Fi who owns a pair?

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

If they could add a little sparkle and 'life' to the DT880's, they would have the perfect reasonably priced headphone on the market today...

beyer made it and called it the DT990 Edition 2005...
sm_hiding.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

I guess so! I've never had a chance to gve them a listen myself. Do you know of anyone on Head-Fi who owns a pair?

Not sure.

Well, I wasn't meaning bring them back exactly as they were in the 80s (just as you wouldn't pick a 1980s version of the DT880s), but more of a 2006 edition thereof. Come on Beyer, show us your stuff!

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
X3!

Actually, Beyer understands that it is equally or more important to have quality recordings & sources behind your headphones, and that you should allocate more funds toward that.

I can't understand why people will spend $$$$ money on a pair of Grado GS-1000's or even Stax O2's, and use them with a sub-par source.

Are you suggesting that Beyer doesn't make a top tier headphone so you won't buy it and waste your money on it and not be able to afford a better source? And the way I see it, better headphones generally sound better, regardless of source. I'd rather have a great headphone and a sub par source than an all right headphone and an all right source any day. I'd just buy the great headphone first, then save up for the better source, instead of buying half and half to begin with. more economical.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Huh! I should have picked a different example. I don't think you'll see anything that will remotely remind you of the R10's for $1k. JVC sort of kind of tried to do it, but R10's the DX1000's are not!

If there were any more "sparkle" and "life" to the new DT 880s, I would have no more hearing. They are BRIGHT.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
If there were any more "sparkle" and "life" to the new DT 880s, I would have no more hearing. They are BRIGHT.

The soulfullness of a headphone is a different matter from its tonal balance, or else we'd just use iBuds and EQ them.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_cs
My DT880's came in a leather case....

confused.gif

What does this have to do with the topic? Headphones that come with leather cases are "high-end" flagship cans?

I'm not really sure what you have a problem with. I would love to see a competitor for the higher eschelon ATs, Grados, and Stax. The market is noticeably empty right now and could do with a few more competitors. If they could make a can that was a little more exciting acoustically, and came up with a new headband design for aesthetics, I think they'd have a wonderful headphone to compete with the likes of the Grado GS1000, Stax 4070, SR-007, and the, uh...um...yeah.

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate

Really? My DT880's are the original ones. Haven't heard the new ones, but I was under the impression that their sound didn't change much.

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirium
beyer made it and called it the DT990 Edition 2005...
sm_hiding.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll have to give them a listen the next time I go to a Head-Fi meet. Maybe one of the guys in Florida will have a pair at the upcoming meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back