Beyer Dynamic T70 - Barely a Beyer? (Review)
Jun 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #34 of 59
Rafu64, I eventually bought a pair of T5p on a great deal. They share somewhat similar tonality with the T70p (so bass head please turn away now), but they are better in every department: richer sound, more refined, more detailed, less sibilant(!), and tighter bass.

Details is so good with T5p. I find myself listening at lower volume than almost all headphones I used before when my brain needed a higher volume to find all the details in the music (classical, vocal, and jazz mainly).

Interestingly, I had possession of the two other portable phones to compare with T5p recently. NAD HP50 was a major disappointment given all the hype from mobile fidelity and reviews. I think AT M50 is a way better bet in term of both build and sound quality. Denon D7100 are more in the ball park of T5p in term of price, but to my ears, the bass is definitely exaggerated while the mid is way recessed. They probably sound great with some music types, but that is not what I am looking for.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #35 of 59
  I mainly use my T70p in office and maybe 10-20% on commute but I still love the flexibility. Also they response and scale very well to better upstream equipment, unlike the NAD HP50 I recently tried. I was so disappointed by them given so much hype but that's a different story. =)

Both T5p and SigPro are in a different price range. I have been thinking about T5p for a while as it has a more flat response curve, but I am not convinced I need such expensive phones in my office (yet!).
I got the T5p leather pads on a great deal for the T70p though and they improved the seal. All other pads I tried including the J$ and EDT770S actually degrade the sound on T70.

Where were you able to find those pad? I could not even find them on the Beyer website. Also, do you know any other earpads that would fit that are soft and plush but with good seal and not hurting the sound of the T70p

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #36 of 59
Google shopping and found a merchant. =)

I guess I was lucky and found a pair at a low price. I have not seen that since then.

However, while the seal and bass are improved, I noticed the sound is a little bit more bright than the stock pads. It is probably because the t5p pads are thicker. The j$ pads were even thicker which makes the sound very thin.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #38 of 59
WiskeyJacks:
I bought leatherpads from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lederohrkissen-10cm-Auflagen-fur-Beyerdynamic-DT440-DT790-DT797-DT860-T5P-T70-/161474668868?pt=Kopfhörer&hash=item2598a3e944

I'm very satisfied with the pads.
They tighten up the sound in general and definitively make the bass more pronounced.
For classical music (especially like chamber music) the velour-pads are probably at least as good, but the leather-pads make the cans a bit more "allround".

I have the T70p myself - so I'll comment on them, not the T70...:

As for the bass in the T70p in general I completely agree that it is inherently... recessed.
My solution:
I'm sure many here hate EQ, but use a decent AMP (and increase the lower bands to your liking):
I tell you that the bass is DEFINITELY there, it is just a bit "shy". It is both deep and strong if the signal you provide is solid enough.

So my conclusion is that even though the T70p can easily be driven by a standard smartphone (and even sound good) you need more "oomph" from an AMP capable of delivering more power for the bass to make them shine.

For those with the "unportable" T70 I guess a dedicated AMP is an absolute MUST.

I use a relatively low-budget setup at my office desk: Fiio E07K in a Fiio E9 dock connected to my computer via USB. The E07K then operates as a soundcard/DAC/EQ and the E9 as the AMP.
I can easily rattle my brains when plugging my T70p's into that setup - both with general volume and also with wonderful, deep and strong bass (if I want to)..

Sorry for this completely unscientific reply - but in the end it is about getting the sound YOU want, and I get that with my T70p's.

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #39 of 59

Sony R10, Audeze LCD-XC and Fostex TH900 beg to differ
evil_smiley.gif

r10 - Discontinued
LCD-XC - 1,800$ NEVER goes on sale. 
 Fostex TH900- $1,300 on "sale"
t70 - for 400 on sale. 

You could get a t70 to listen to and juggle 3 more at the same. That is something you simple can not do with the LCD-XC 

I wish I could afford the LCD-XC. Sadly that is nearly one entire paycheck for me. 
I think after reading everyones comments I am 100% going to buy the t70s next. My next purchase is something to compliment my m100s. I think these will be perfect. I need closed back for the office. 
Honestly I would get Alpha Dogs if I had the cash. But they never go less than 600. I live in Japan and right now the exhange rate SUCKS, that would be nearly 70,000 yen for me. T70s on the hand often go for half that in Japan. They are sitting at a pretty 40,000. Camelcamelcamel has tracked them as low as 30,000 yen. Thats basically free in my book (thats a total lie). After looking at the graphs of the W1000X that innerfidelity has, I am totaly turned off from the them. The 30 and 300mhz square waves were closer to the audez LCD2 of any headphones graphs I checked out. (15+).  

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #41 of 59
Waiting on my T70P to arrive. Bought a pair off eBay. Was looking for headphones I could actually use in the library and such. Lord knows I couldn't do that with my Alessandro MS2i. lol

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #43 of 59
I ended up just getting them off massdrop. I decided it was worth it as I think it would really compliment my 1540's. I am hoping to have a comparative review of them up once I get the t70p.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #44 of 59
I realize I am reviving a dead thread, but feel I have to let people know that you really have to give these headphones a chance to like them. Take the time to let your ears/brain adjust and you may end up loving them. I picked up a pair the other day for super cheap and hated their sound. I gave it about 10 hours of listening and now absolutely love it.

Their bass is, agreed, very odd. There is little impact, especially upon first listening. The sub-bass is oddly very well extended and I have no idea how that is possible. So, they lack bass, but have bass. The treble is quite excessive at first, but as you get used to the sound it seems to mostly go away. The mids sound perfect to me. The key to enjoying these headphones seems to be listening at lower volumes, which keeps the treble tamed down. These are very good at extracting details from music.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #45 of 59
Well, these can sound pleasant. But need really good amp to shine. Other wise may sound strident and thin. I liked them with Feliks Audio Espressivo OTL. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back