Beyer Dynamic T70 - Barely a Beyer? (Review)
Apr 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #46 of 59
  I realize I am reviving a dead thread, but feel I have to let people know that you really have to give these headphones a chance to like them. Take the time to let your ears/brain adjust and you may end up loving them. I picked up a pair the other day for super cheap and hated their sound. I gave it about 10 hours of listening and now absolutely love it.

Their bass is, agreed, very odd. There is little impact, especially upon first listening. The sub-bass is oddly very well extended and I have no idea how that is possible. So, they lack bass, but have bass. The treble is quite excessive at first, but as you get used to the sound it seems to mostly go away. The mids sound perfect to me. The key to enjoying these headphones seems to be listening at lower volumes, which keeps the treble tamed down. These are very good at extracting details from music.

I had a very similar experience with these.  I got them for a good deal and gave them a shot.  Initially I did not care for them as they sounded very thing compared to my 1540's.  After some listening I began craving that extra detail after switching back to the 1540's.  The T70p has impressive bass extension, just not punch.  It is indeed a unique sound signature which is why I enjoy them.  They are not simply a re-hash of something already done.  I did swap pads though, as I found the stock pads too shallow and not comfortable.   After switching to the Dekoni premium pads these are wonderful. I still like my 1540's more, but it is pretty close.  !540's are just better all rounders.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #47 of 59
  I had a very similar experience with these.  I got them for a good deal and gave them a shot.  Initially I did not care for them as they sounded very thing compared to my 1540's.  After some listening I began craving that extra detail after switching back to the 1540's.  The T70p has impressive bass extension, just not punch.  It is indeed a unique sound signature which is why I enjoy them.  They are not simply a re-hash of something already done.  I did swap pads though, as I found the stock pads too shallow and not comfortable.   After switching to the Dekoni premium pads these are wonderful. I still like my 1540's more, but it is pretty close.  !540's are just better all rounders.

Excellent! We need more people to praise these headphones and get rid of their bad rap. These are my first Beyerdynamic headphone and I am very impressed. I have the DX 120 iE in-ears, but am not a fan of their bloated bass.

As I stated, I got these cheap. It was a toss-up between the SRH940 and T70 and I ultimately went for the T70 from reading about the Shure having a wonky plastic design.

I have always wanted to try the Shure SRH1540, but my city has nothing for headphone shops.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #48 of 59
  Excellent! We need more people to praise these headphones and get rid of their bad rap. These are my first Beyerdynamic headphone and I am very impressed. I have the DX 120 iE in-ears, but am not a fan of their bloated bass.

As I stated, I got these cheap. It was a toss-up between the SRH940 and T70 and I ultimately went for the T70 from reading about the Shure having a wonky plastic design.

I have always wanted to try the Shure SRH1540, but my city has nothing for headphone shops.

I just ordered them online and went for it.  Just get them from a retailer that has a return policy so you can return them if you do not care for them.  They are wonderful headphones, but I will stay away from it as this thread is not for the 1540's.  In comnparison they are much warmer and just smother than the t70.  Everything on the t70 has a sort of edge to it, whereas the 1540's are smooth.  They do still have wonderful detail though.  They are more solid as an alrounder.

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #49 of 59
  I just ordered them online and went for it.  Just get them from a retailer that has a return policy so you can return them if you do not care for them.  They are wonderful headphones, but I will stay away from it as this thread is not for the 1540's.  In comnparison they are much warmer and just smother than the t70.  Everything on the t70 has a sort of edge to it, whereas the 1540's are smooth.  They do still have wonderful detail though.  They are more solid as an alrounder.

That is rather good to hear.

Back to the T70; is a Fiio E09k amplifier enough to power them properly?

Apr 12, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #50 of 59
  That is rather good to hear.

Back to the T70; is a Fiio E09k amplifier enough to power them properly?

The T70 is super efficient so you can really use any decent amplifier to power them. 

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #51 of 59
I have many high end headphones including the Beyerdynamics T70p and T90.  I like the T70 P; I found it to be a very good headphone. I think it may sound less like the T90, but it still has a very good sound to it. The base is not pronounced but it is there. I certainly would compared the T70-p's to headphones in the same price range-and even a little better than most. I don't like huge artificial base sounding phones or speakers. I like true natural sound the way I would here a band play it. I would highly recommend them especially if they are on sale. I also love the T-90's. I have many Audio Technica Headphones too including there pros; and Yamahas pros too. I would say Beyerdynamics is the best all around.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #52 of 59
I agree with your assessment on the T-70. I have the T70p and the T-90, along with the T-1 First generation and the little 1350. I have found the T-70p to be really great sounding and yes bright headphones. But I like them. I would compare them to anything I have. I also have The Senn. HD8000; which I would say over all I like the best. But I keep coming back to Beyerdynamics and the T70p. I am starting to like my new T-5 second gen. a lot better too. I have others too, like the Yamahas and audio-tech which I like but not as well as the T70p.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #54 of 59
I agree with your assessment totally, but i would like to add that the bass roll off problem can be totally solved with a bit of EQ. The bass it does have, even when you EQ it, is very soft and does not very impactful, but it is very warm. The bass isn't for bassheads, but does pair very well with orchestra

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #55 of 59
I have many top end Beyerdynamics; T-1 first; T-5 second; T-90, and one of my favorites is the T70 32 ohms. I also have many high-end phones including Grados 1000 and Senns HD-8000. I like the T-70's. It has a very nice sound that is a little bright, but I like them. They do sound a bit like the T-1 first to me. I actually like them better than the old T-90's. But everyone hears things differently. I like them and I would buy them again. I wear them when I exercise; and sitting around. I would urge people to test them. The bass is lacking-but I am not a big bass fan-but it is there. It could use more. You certainly can amp-up the bass in there too.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #56 of 59
I have many top end Beyerdynamics; T-1 first; T-5 second; T-90, and one of my favorites is the T70 32 ohms. I also have many high-end phones including Grados 1000 and Senns HD-8000. I like the T-70's. It has a very nice sound that is a little bright, but I like them. They do sound a bit like the T-1 first to me. I actually like them better than the old T-90's. But everyone hears things differently. I like them and I would buy them again. I wear them when I exercise; and sitting around. I would urge people to test them. The bass is lacking-but I am not a big bass fan-but it is there. It could use more. You certainly can amp-up the bass in there too.

Just ordered a pair of T70's. I listen to nearly 100% acoustic music (classical, baroque) where these are said to excel. I'm also interested in acquiring the T1 first edition for an open-back companion to the T70's. How would you say the 2 compare?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #57 of 59
This returns the t70 to a somewhat normal sound.

Unless I'm listening to acoustic or classical music, this is the eq I need for the T70.

eq.png

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #58 of 59
I just had a pair 32 ohm, the previous owner claimed they lack of bass, but I actually really like the bass, tight and precise. The treble are just very like the T1 600 ohm, with some records can be difficult. Good isolation too, and are light, can be really used on travel.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #59 of 59
I have had the t70 250ohm for a few years now and they still get regular listening time and form part of my keepers collection of headphones - I have many high end and expensive headphones but these are a great contrast to others I own
for me I find these similar to the ath-m70x in that they don’t have extended bass - I am normally more of a bass head and these are the polar opposite to majority of headphones I own - yet somehow they are quite addictive with the right music and source - I agree to get the best you do need a good amp - I use a burson soloist or Xduoo ta-20 or Eric machanson tube and they do perform well - if you can pick up a pair cheap - have an open mind and give them a chance you may be surprised on how well these can sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back