Beyer DT770 PRO 80 or Denon AH-D2000?
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

solidsnake

100+ Head-Fier
TL;DR version: big bass, wide soundstage, glassy highs, overall detail/clarity, for heavy metal and gaming.

Hey

I plan on buying one of these headphones, but I need some good comparisons first (keeping in mind my usage and sound preference).

I will be using these headphones for music and some gaming. For the most part, I listen to heavy metal, punk, alt rock, ect. (bands like Dope, Static-X, Queens of the Stone Age, Saliva)

I want a headphone with defined bass and big impact (consider me a basshead). Glassy, slightly rolled off highs (I am very sensitive to sibilance and piercing highs). Overall detail, clarity and a wide soundstage.

Power-hungriness doesn't matter.
tongue_smile.gif

So, which headphone would be better for me?
All input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 17
DT990/600's triumphs both of them easily
smily_headphones1.gif

but if you had to choose one of those, go with the Denon D2000's.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 17
I haven't heard D2000 so can't say anything about those. However I once listened to Marvin Gaye's Let's get it on with the DT770-80, which has a loud crashing cymbal in the first two seconds that was just unbearable with the stock earpads (tho a little better with J$ pads). Even my Grado SR225 headphones, which are quite bright, handled the cymbal at a similar volume without hurting my ears. Everything else seems like an accurate description (bass, soundstage, clarity, good for gaming).

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 17
For gaming and just better quality, I'll have to say D2000. I'm not much in love with the Beyer sound, and not much for the Denon either, but I think for your purposes the D2000 would serve you best
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 17
If you are very sensitive to sibilance than I'd urge you to avoid both D2000 and DT770 pro.

I would go for the Audio Technica A900's
The highs aren't exactly rolled-of, but are much less sibilant than D2000's and DT770's.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Bass light?
I don't think so, I have the A500s and their bass is almost identical to the A900s, which is almost as solid as my Denon D5000's - and they are known for being bass-heavy.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't say, as i haven't heard the denons. but, your post pretty much described the dt770 pro 80's to a tee.
happy_face1.gif

Can't agree with that, he wants slightly rolled off highs and the DT770s have piercing, strident highs.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't agree with that, he wants slightly rolled off highs and the DT770s have piercing, strident highs.

X2. But also, if he wants slightly rolled off highs, he doesn't want the denons either

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 17
I have both the Denon D2000 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm version. My opinions are based only on the 250 ohm version; there may be some difference with the lower impedance version of the headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want a headphone with defined bass and big impact (consider me a basshead). Glassy, slightly rolled off highs (I am very sensitive to sibilance and piercing highs). Overall detail, clarity and a wide soundstage.

I think this pretty much defines the Denon D2000 IMO. Particularily the slightly rolled off highs. I seem to be very sensitive to excessive high end and the Denon is the perfect amount; it is not too veiled to obscure detail, yet is rolled off just enough to not bother me, and allows for longer listening sessions.

The only thing I would say doesn't fit your description with these cans is the soundstage. Not that it is extremely closed or anything, it's just not super wide IMO. Of course that's compared to my AKG 501 and Sennheiser HD600s. However, it is wider than the DT-770 Pro (I have the 250 ohm version)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...in my opinion the Denons are noticeably better due to their less recessed mids. The 770's heavy a quite strong v-curve frequency response.

Absolutely agree; vocals and midrange instruments disappear with the DT770.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also feel the highs are a bit overbearing on these phones. This very well could be the effect of the recessed midrange overemphasizing the high end (a hole in the frequency spectrum usually makes the neighboring frequencies appear more prominent). Regardless, it does not sound very natural.

Bottom line: my Denon D2000s are my go to "fun" cans for rock, metal, electronic and R&B. The bass is great, and they just always seem to get me moving. A word of warning, they are a little on the slow side when it comes to the bass (compared to say Grados for instance, which are extremely fast and tight). This can sometimes makes them appear a bit sloppy and "boomy" depending on the track. But if you are a basshead, this probably won't bother you too much. It doesn't bother me at all, because the impact of the bass trumps any of the transient response issues for me personally. A really good amp helps a lot with this too.

They are also not as detailed as my HD600s, but the additional bass makes up for it if you are looking to rock.

The only reason I am keeping my DT-770 Pro is because they are built like tanks, and they isolate really well (the Denons don't really isolate at all for closed cans). I use them in the a live sound environment, where I need to isolate individual instruments from the room...which is usually only for a moment. They are definitely not reference cans, and I don't really use them for any home listening. Industrial / electronica are probably the only genres I find exceptable on these cans, and I will usually reach for the Denons long before that.

My $0.02, hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back