Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #286 of 315
Appreciate it, I just bought the multimeter, probably best to do it right versus guessing and being in a rush haha.

I'll wait to see if anyone has confirmation on the blue/red/copper wires not in the black sleeve.

Thanks

EDIT: So i'm planning on just snipping the wires and not unsoldering them from the driver.
Does this sound right:
Left Blue wire = Tip on 3.5mm Panel
Left Red wire = ring on 3.5mm Panel
Right Copper wire = Sleeve on 3.5mm Panel

Leave the Red and white middle wires (black casing) attached to the board.

CONFIRMATION:
Blue = Tip
Red = Ring
Copper = Sleeve

Got it soldered on and ready to rock! Thanks Everyone.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #287 of 315
I've created an updated guide that features soldering on the new type of drivers, anybody who stumbles upon this thread looking to do this mod, take a look here!

https://imgur.com/a/7RQttxS

Edit: Updated my guide, some new important info. Some of the wiring was wrong in my example, I've noted it in the comments

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #289 of 315
Anyone found someone who you can pay to do this mod? I do not have any of these tools to do this and would rather just throw cash at someone to do it? I checked with Larry at Headphile and he said he won't do this mod.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #290 of 315
Anyone found someone who you can pay to do this mod? I do not have any of these tools to do this and would rather just throw cash at someone to do it? I checked with Larry at Headphile and he said he won't do this mod.
I'd be willing to, send me a PM

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #292 of 315
Anyone know what happened to the originator of this thread, PETEREK? I sent him a cable I screwed up that he agreed to repair in April, and he seems to have gone radio silent since then. Cable wasn’t all that fancy or expensive, but he’s not responded to emails or PM’s. Hope he’s ok? This thread has been amazing and he’s the OG!

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #293 of 315
Another one! I think my cleanest work yet :)

20181124_120630.jpg

Thanks @Mr Pink57 for letting me work on his cans!

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #295 of 315
I have a question which of these two plugs is the right one:
Next month I want to buy the DT770 Pro 32Ohm and perform a Cablemod.
Cable will most likely be the EXO of Plussound in copper or silver plated copper.
Here I found at the shop Thomann (come from Germany) two identical tiny xlr chassis connectors, but which differ from the construction.
One screwed into the housing and the other is screwed on the outside.
Which is better?

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #296 of 315
It's possible you won't be able to screw it in at all, there's such little room to work with on the inside, and the outside sometimes doesn't leave enough room to thread the nut on. If I had to pick though, I'd say go with the one on the outside

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #297 of 315
Hello everyone,

Newbie here. I've modded my DT770 by connecting the original ground, left,right wires that were going in the original wires directly to the input jack). I've carefully blocked the leak around the jack with hot glue.

Upon trying my newly modded DT700, I noticed the sound seems somewhat muffled, but I'm not sure if my ears are playing tricks or if it's actually different. The sound is well balanced and exacly the same in both cans, so it's not about a structural change in the left can.

So the only issue I could see (if any) is that the solder connection is improperly made.

My question: would a bad soldering actually affect the sound quality? Or if it was bad there would simply be no sound? Just want to check if I'm actually placeboing a problem here or not. I should have paid more attention to the sound before actually doing the mod.

Thanks

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #298 of 315
It's most likely that you've mixed up your wiring, and they're "out of phase". Run through the tests on this site, and pay extra attention to the section labeled "Wiring", with the center and twisted test

https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

A poor solder job would only result in no sound, or cutting in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back