Beyer DT770 mod for more detail, try it
Aug 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #16 of 21
reviving a dead thread for a specific purpose(since its mod related)

There was a black piece on mines as well(like pins or slots) that the felt was actually wrapped around.  Seems to have been glued on for me as well.

Honestly don't know if its in my head or no but the bass is still in tact removing just the felt, don't know if its wishful thinking or not but it does seem to sound more detailed, less of a strain feeling in certain sounds.

At the same time I was able to get rid of the culprit of the rattle/static noise which was two fine strands of hair.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 21
Thanks for this OP, definitely a huge improvement, as others have noted
beyersmile.png

May 20, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 21
Reviving after another year. Tried on 770 Edition 250 and 770 Pro 80. I can confirm that they uses different drivers (or at least some fundamental configuration).

770 ED has a much more airy and open soundstage, while much less bass.

After the mod:

Soundstage opened up, more details. Perhaps a lil' bit less bass, but that's enough anyway. Interesting though, on the 770 Pro 80 the sound seems less warm, cleaner, which had surfaced the fact that its bass was bloated in a nice way.

Agree that bass quantity and punch seems decreased a bit.

To me, the Pro is a bass monster and ED is a classy cans.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #19 of 21
Another revive...

I tried this mod by removing both the plastic black "comb" and the felt ring....I did it in only one side so I could kind of A/B the differences. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between either side, even with flipping them between ears or doing one ear at a time. I tried the mod because of the somewhat veiled mids but I notice no difference.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 21
I decided to try this mod after finding this thread shortly after buying my DT770 Pro/80.

The mids and highs are definitely more detailed and sound a little freer. The bass has a little less punch and isn't as powerful. The headphones definitely have a more open sound now.

I can confirm that the black ring that the felt is wrapped around is not glued on, they pull right off.

I'm not sure if I will keep the felt out or not, I will have to listen to them more to decide if the tradeoffs are worth it.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 21
When i recabled my cans the other day, I realised I was trying this in one ear without wanting to (yes, left these out of one ear).

There is a different spacial sound, I would not say its a big difference. As I bought these cans for their stronger than usual bass signature, I don't want to compromise that.

It makes sense that a 1/2 way version could be intersting, I might have a play when I re-cable next (in a week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back