Beyer DT770 mod for more detail, try it
Jul 1, 2007 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

LawnGnome

Banned
Ok, well

I had my DT770's disassembled tonight, and I was looking at the white felt, and the black piece that surrounds it.

And I've heard people before say that the piece of felt presses against the driver and dampens it. And I looked, and found it doesn't touch the driver at all.

So that theory seems kinda off. Especially considering the the dt880's do not have that, and they supposedly have less bass than the dt770's.

But I did notice that all of those black pins would be really bad for resonances, which would distort the sound.

So I had the idea to remove the felt and the black support for it.

The sound now is much more detailed, and a bit more open sounding, a bit more like my grado's.

BUT, they do not isolate as well anymore, the isolation seems to be quite noticeably less. So, I believe that the felt helps block out airflow, and increase isolation.

This mod takes 5 minutes to do, and can be reversed in 5 minutes.

All you have to do is remove the white felt, and the black piece of plastic with the pins that the felt covers. You can see it in picture 7 on this page.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...92&postcount=1

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 21
I think the thing with the felt ring is that it slows down and drowns the air flow, and not to dampen the driver by pressing against it.
This is why I found an improvement by doing my own ring that is harder.

But this mod seams like a fun one and maybe I should try it
580smile.gif

One thing first! The black plastic ring is hot glued in my phones - did you heated it up with a blow dryer and then pull it off?

Pics on how it looks afterwards would also be nice...

/Chopha

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 21
Interesting to note that the DT990 have the same felt behind the driver, but there is a hole the size of a quarter in the felt which vents them out the open grille. The 990's, however, do not need more detail at all...

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the thing with the felt ring is that it slows down and drowns the air flow, and not to dampen the driver by pressing against it.
This is why I found an improvement by doing my own ring that is harder.

But this mod seams like a fun one and maybe I should try it
580smile.gif

One thing first! The black plastic ring is hot glued in my phones - did you heated it up with a blow dryer and then pull it off?

Pics on how it looks afterwards would also be nice...

/Chopha

My black ring was not glued on.

Some may be some may not, seems beyer slightly changes its manufacturing between batches. Will try to get photos today.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 21
...nice!

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to note that the DT990 have the same felt behind the driver, but there is a hole the size of a quarter in the felt which vents them out the open grille. The 990's, however, do not need more detail at all...

You sure about that?

My DT-990 has a heavy felt pad with a hole in the center, and my DT-770 has just a little felt collar around the driver.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 21
Great mod! I removed the entire black pin and foam assemblies and just replaced the drivers without them. The bass is still there, it just seemed to really open up the mids and highs.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure about that?

My DT-990 has a heavy felt pad with a hole in the center, and my DT-770 has just a little felt collar around the driver.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the OP. My DT990 is as you describe - the 770 does not have the heavy felt pad behind the whole driver? I have never taken a stock pair apart.

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 21
...Seems that they weren’t glued, it just looked like it and now I also have mine without the plastic ring. Don't know if will keep it this way or if should swap back to my own "felt" ring. The sound is a bit different I must say;

Cons:
They don't have the same warm sound as before - they are more sterile.
Not so good if you most of the time listen to Hip-Hop, R'nB and Techno/House/Dance. Might be a bit more leaned back and less "up-front" than before (not really sure though).

Good:
A bit more detail and soundstage. Dampened bass.
Good if you prefer pop/rock, hard rock and metal because of the less amount of bass.

How does the DT-880 look like behind the driver? Maybe you could, in addition to this mod, copy he DT-880 as much as possible?

Anyway, thank you for the tip LawnGnome...

/Chopha

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 21
Sweetness! Just did it and it really gives em a wider soundstage, I'm hearing alot more detail in the mids too which is freakin sweet. Thanks for the post!

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 21
Not bad. Mostly notice abit wider stage. Bass actually seems alittle less punchy and alittle more rolled off at the bottom frequencies. Will have to mess around with it abit more. Thanks for the food for thought OP!

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 21
lol

wasn't OP the guy that had his DT990/250ohm up for sale, then took the money and vanished?

zzzzzzzz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back