Beyer DT231 Isolation Mod (56k no)
Mar 3, 2006 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
this mod improves the beyer dt231 headphones' isolation. also, bass is tightened up. this is an advanced mod so do not attempt if you are a novice.

you'll need a small phillips screwdriver and some poster-tack:
allequip8ev.jpg

the pads pry off:
pry4dy.jpg

take out the screws and save them:
savescrews3ub.jpg

apply poster tack around openings in the cup:
appluputty1li.jpg

push the poster tack around the rim into the cup in an even layer. do NOT create an airtight seal when screwing the drivers back on:
finished0kk.jpg

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Looks great, I am itching to try this. However, I dont understand the meaning of this:

'do NOT create an airtight seal when screwing the drivers back on'

It would seem that this is exactly what your mod has achieved. How have you avoided creating a seal whilst blocking up all the holes?

I have some blue-tac ready which I am hoping will look OK in my Galactics (with the word 'Galactic' carefully sanded off!)

Jul 24, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Hmmm, I started, but the Galactics clear blue housing looks weird with blu-tack stuck inside. It might look OK if done evenly. I will give it a go if I get clarification on the 'air tight' bit

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 7
I had a go at this. It looks odd with my transparent housings, but I applied the blu-tack evenly. There are some bits I missed (under the cable entry point for example).

The mod makes the housings feel more expensive, they dont creak like cheap plastic anymore. The firm fixing of the driver piece can only help the SQ and the coating of the earcup does improve things. I might open them up again and put some tack around the back of the driver (around, not on the back!)

I also tried a piece of foam (a washing up sponge) cut to 4/4/1.5cm. I really did not like this, the sound was thin. I added the blu-tack and the foam at the same time and was pleased to find it was the foam (I really didn't want to have to remove all the blu-tack

I have an idea for another mod, I have some very thin foam which tames the highs when placed behind the fabric cover. However as your ears touch this, this introduced mechanical noise. I need to rethink this one

Dont expect great isolation with this mod. It is better but these still leak like open cans, they are not appreciably better than my 580s and they are pretty open cans. However they dont have the pressure problem I notice with other closed headphones like the Senn HD25.

Another thing I have found with these cans is that they are better with good amplification (eg my cyrus or xcanV2) but turned down. As usual when doing critical listening I turned them up and only later whilst doing other things and chilling did I realise that they are pretty good and great for falling asleep to.

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 7
nice mod, i might have to try it out.
Tight bass is useful, but i cant imagine rocking these outside, so isolation isn't a factor for me. I wonder if it's a very noticeable change.

I listened to my pair of DT231 today for the first time in 4-5 months and they really sound great with my Go Vibe 5.

I had plans to sell it, but these are a keeper.
These are such underrated cans.
Great sound, great detail, excellent comfort.
I can imagine people turned off by its ugly, utilitarian looks.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 7
I used to have the DT231, and if there was one thing about them, it's that the bass could use some tightening up.

If this adhesive putty mod actually does that, while not taking away anything else, I think you have a winner here redshifter.

Thanks for helping the head-fi community!

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 7
wow nice mod u have there fren :) im getting a used unit of dt231 tmrw also :) 
i heard d new one d other day n i straight fallen in love..ya d bass could use a screwdriver to tighten it up :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back