BEWARE OF A DEFAULT IN WESTONE's CABLE !
Oct 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #17 of 27
Hi.

My Westone 3s made it past 2 years..... all the way to 2.5 years. but yeah, same problem/defect/break whatever. Did you ever get this fixed?/find how to fix it.  did anyone?

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #18 of 27
Tired of waiting/trying to fix it, i bought a westone 4.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #19 of 27
Lasted only 2 years?   Too funny.  I had a W3 that failed after about 20 hours and 3 months....right at the Y-split.   Probably the 6th of 7th Westone I have bought.  It was under warranty (2 year) so no biggee.  No other problems with any of them.

The design can't really be any better.  The strain reliefs are very strong.  The flex areas have no connection areas so it can only be a bad solder at the connection.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 27
Hello All,

found this thread because my W3's have just suffered the same fate (one side). I'm not that bitter, I had them for at least 3 years and use them extensively on flights. They have suffered some pretty harsh tugs on more than one occasions when I politely get out of my seat to let the passenger sitting next to me out to the aisle and forget to remove from the audio socket.

I'm just sad and disappointed because they have actually been an amazing introduction to portable hi fi sound, they are discreet, have passive noise cancelling and look pretty cool. I have thrown away 100's of dodgy music files due to the W's insistence on detail and accuracy. Awesome IEM's. 

I am looking for a way to fix them although I fear this may not be possible so with that prospect and your fine judgement head fi guys, what should I get next?

cheers,

Nic

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 27
Welcome to headfi (sorry about the wallet).

Assuming that it's just the cable that's gone you could either do :-

a) send them off to btg-audio and have them modded to detatcable cables (there is a bit of a wait)

or if you are feeling brave you could send them off to get reshelled into customs (there is a bit of a wait in this as well as you will need to get impressions from an audiologist).

Cheers

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 27
Thanks David,

i just ordered the Westone 4R's and look forward to listening to these. I can understand the original posters frustrations with failing hi end stuff, you get attached to these nice things, enjoy them, rely on them and then just a tiny fault renders them useless and there's nothing you can do. Throw them away? But they're fine, they sound great except for that fractured wire that only allows intermittent listening in one ear! I had two sets of BOSE QC that just crumbled in my hands, the plastic quality was atrocious, so it's two strikes and you're out with me. The Westone 3's lasted well over three years and I was always tugging at them accidentally and intentionally making sure the cable was curling stylishly over my ears, they are a quality product, hope the W4's become my next best traveling companions as well.

cheers

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 27
Wrap them around your player and shove them in your pocket several times per day and I would think about 60 days would be a damn good life, high quality product.

2 Years is truly extraordinary!!!

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 27
Why are you even screwing around with it pulling it apart?  Just asking for trouble.  Each time you do it it probably weakens the connection point.  The only time I will ever disconnect mine is if I actually have a cable failure and am changing it out.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #27 of 27
  Hi.

My Westone 3s made it past 2 years..... all the way to 2.5 years. but yeah, same problem/defect/break whatever. Did you ever get this fixed?/find how to fix it.  did anyone?

I have mine for only 5 months but because of these comments from experienced users, i decided to have them re cabled.  They said it will take 2 weeks to complete.  They used fast cables and neutrik l plug for termination.  I decide to have them recable because 1st:  The durability of the cable specially the connection of wires from the crossovers, and 2nd, for the sound quality.  I demoed a sound magic es18 recabled with fast cable and neutrik plug and I compare the sound to the stock es18.  The SQ improvement is really noticable!  The bass is now more present and has now more body, mids are also improved but not so much, and the best of all is the highs.  The treble seems more present and more lively, specially the soundstage became more wider and deeper.  And I really hope that it would to the same with the westone 3.  I will post some impressions and pictures once it is done. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back