Better source: Logitech Transporter vs Modded Denon 3930CI?
Jun 23, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any difference in sound quality between squeezebox and transporter, if you're just using optical/coaxial digital outputs into a DAC/av processor?

From what I've read, yes. Also the DAC in the Transporter would be of better quality than what I'm using now.

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source going to be? Discs or computer? Do you even really have many SACDs or DVD-As??

All these aftermarket mod services are a total freaking rip-off, on an even worse level than the value for money you'd get with the average car service/repair shop...just can't see no value in spending again or MORE than the price of the original unit itself...that's total bunkum; you might as well have bought something twice as expensive in the first place, something that is just plain better designed and performing...

So, rule the Denon out, PLEASE
tongue.gif

The Transporter is really good and you can't replicate that functionality with a CDP...just don't being going paying $2k to mod it - jeez!

If you don't need a streamer, well there are loads of other options - how about a good DAC like the Lavry DA11?

The Denon is more like a Mustang to begin with, SACDmods would turn it into a ROUSH Mustang. Since the OP already has a Mustang getting it modded would be more cost effective than buying a new STI.

I have a Lavry DA10, that I love, but my SACDmods NS9100ES is more refined.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon is more like a Mustang to begin with, SACDmods would turn it into a ROUSH Mustang. Since the OP already has a Mustang getting it modded would be more cost effective than buying a new STI.

I have a Lavry DA10, that I love, but my SACDmods NS9100ES is more refined.

I have to agree. Since you already have a Denon 3930CI, get it modified. This unit should take you as far as redbook can go. For all practical purposes, there is nothing better out there short of getting a very good turntable.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the question is which would sound better: a 3930CI modded by SACDmods or a 3910 modded by Exemplar or ModWright? Any opinions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the degree of improvement I got with the two players Dan modded for me, surpassed the improvement I heard on my SACDmods modified player by a lot. There is a big difference in cost, but I have never balked at the money I spent.

'Nuff said.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Keep the remote from the Duet, you can use it with the transporter.

No can do. The Duet and remote are going to someone else. I never had much use for the remote anyway. Instead, I create playlists in SqueezeCenter.

--Jerome

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree. Since you already have a Denon 3930CI, get it modified. This unit should take you as far as redbook can go. For all practical purposes, there is nothing better out there short of getting a very good turntable.

How do you think a SACD modded 3930CI would compare with a ModWright modded 3910? Those are two of the options I'm considering. I think I might also get a Transporter, but not necessarily as a replacement for my Denon but more as a replacement for my Duet.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

How do you think a SACD modded 3930CI would compare with a ModWright modded 3910? Those are two of the options I'm considering. I think I might also get a Transporter, but not necessarily as a replacement for my Denon but more as a replacement for my Duet.

The general rule is to start out with the better player. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear regardless of how much you spend or who does the work. Many prefer the tube flavor of ModWright but relative sound quality is very subjective.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Well just took the plunge and ordered a transporter. Approx $1000 for a new in box unit, I couldn't pass it up.

Wow, you got a much better deal than I did. Where the hell did you find that? Used ones are going for between $1,200 and $1,300.

--Jerome

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #28 of 31
Ebay. They've been selling for $1500-1600 new there. I was thinking about getting one because I knew I could use the bing.com 8% cashback for an even better deal. Then Ebay sent me an 8% off coupon that could be combined with the bing.com cashback so I was looking at a really sweet deal. Then all of a sudden someone put one up for sale $1200 new. After the discounts it's going to end up costing me a little over $1K. At that price I couldn't pass it up. I could probably resell it for more than I paid if I didn't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back