Better source: Logitech Transporter vs Modded Denon 3930CI?
Feb 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #31 of 31

Quote:
Currently as my source I have a Denon 3930CI. I bought it with the intention of getting it modded but haven't gotten around to it (funds). I planned to get it modded by SACDmods.com as they have a good rep and ModWright or APL no longer do Denon mods. After seeing the Logitech Transporter at CanJam I am also interested in it. It seems to get great reviews and can even be after market modded by ModWright (for around an extra $2K).

While I doubt anyone has both of these to directly compare, I was looking for opinions on which would have better sound quality: a modded Denon 3930CI vs Logitech Transporter (stock for now). The Denon has the advantage of having SACD/DVDA playback so that's a plus.

I have had my denon 3930ci since denon came out with it.and it has served me with great satisfaction.But it was not until recently that I discovered something about the use of denon link III when using the player without my denon 3806 avr receiver.I have basically given up listening to my speaker based system because it comes nowhere near the performance of my headphone based system due largely in part to my audeze lcd2 rev 2 phones which I purchased in november of 2011.The tidbit that I discovered about th denon is the manual states that you should disable the denon link feature when you use the player with its dedicated analog stereo outputs .Well I had forgot to reset the feature to off when I hooked it up to my headphone amplifier which at present is the burson ha-160 amp.This amp with the audeze lcd2 rev2 is my preferred combination at this time.Well I was looking at the manual recently and when I checked the setup menu I discovered that I have been using the denon with the denon link feature engaged when listening thru the dedicated analog stereo outputs of the player.When I went into the setup menu and disabled the denon link feature on the player I was surprised at how bright the sound became with the denon link feature disabled as denon had recommended that the player be set when using its analog outputs.I then tried switching the denon link feature in and out when I was using the player thru its analog outputs and found imho that the player sounded much more analog like and much less analytical sounding with the denon link feature engaged all the time.
                      I donot know if you have checked the setup on your denon 3930ci to see if the denon link feature is on or off.I might suggest that you set the denon link feature to on.I imho feel the player sounds much more musical with the denon link feature engaged.I think you will find this a useful suggestion if you want to get the best and most musical sound out of the 3930ci.
                        I know I have my denon link feature enabled permanently whether I will listen to the player thru its analog outputs or the denon link
You might want to check your player setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back