Better source: Logitech Transporter vs Modded Denon 3930CI?
Jun 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Currently as my source I have a Denon 3930CI. I bought it with the intention of getting it modded but haven't gotten around to it (funds). I planned to get it modded by SACDmods.com as they have a good rep and ModWright or APL no longer do Denon mods. After seeing the Logitech Transporter at CanJam I am also interested in it. It seems to get great reviews and can even be after market modded by ModWright (for around an extra $2K).

While I doubt anyone has both of these to directly compare, I was looking for opinions on which would have better sound quality: a modded Denon 3930CI vs Logitech Transporter (stock for now). The Denon has the advantage of having SACD/DVDA playback so that's a plus.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 31
The umodded Transporter will compete with very good digital sources. For example, I preferred it over a $3k Arcam CD player.

Also keep in mind that it's easy to rip DVD-Audio disks and play them back at full-res on the Transporter. However, you won't get multi-channel. From my perspective both DVD-A and SACD are more or less dead at this point, unless you are into classical.

Jun 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ModWright or APL no longer do Denon mods.

Really? That's a shame, as I love my Modwright 3910.

What about Exemplar? There is a huge difference/advantage to a tubed analog output stage, which is a modification that SACDmods doesn't provide.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 31
What's your source going to be? Discs or computer? Do you even really have many SACDs or DVD-As??

All these aftermarket mod services are a total freaking rip-off, on an even worse level than the value for money you'd get with the average car service/repair shop...just can't see no value in spending again or MORE than the price of the original unit itself...that's total bunkum; you might as well have bought something twice as expensive in the first place, something that is just plain better designed and performing...

So, rule the Denon out, PLEASE
tongue.gif

The Transporter is really good and you can't replicate that functionality with a CDP...just don't being going paying $2k to mod it - jeez!

If you don't need a streamer, well there are loads of other options - how about a good DAC like the Lavry DA11?

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? That's a shame, as I love my Modwright 3910.

What about Exemplar? There is a huge difference/advantage to a tubed analog output stage, which is a modification that SACDmods doesn't provide.

I don't think Exemplar is doing the mods anymore either, but I'm not 100% sure on that (it's not on their web page). I've checked with ModWright and APL via email and both confirmed no longer doing Denon mods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source going to be? Discs or computer? Do you even really have many SACDs or DVD-As??

All these aftermarket mod services are a total freaking rip-off, on an even worse level than the value for money you'd get with the average car service/repair shop...just can't see no value in spending again or MORE than the price of the original unit itself...that's total bunkum; you might as well have bought something twice as expensive in the first place, something that is just plain better designed and performing...

So, rule the Denon out, PLEASE
tongue.gif

The Transporter is really good and you can't replicate that functionality with a CDP...just don't being going paying $2k to mod it - jeez!

If you don't need a streamer, well there are loads of other options - how about a good DAC like the Lavry DA11?

Right now my source is discs, but if I get the Transporter it will transition to a music server setup. Right now SACDs make up around 10% of my listening and DVDA around 2-5%.

Have you heard a modded Denon player? Lot's of people rave about them as well as the modded Transporter. I wouldn't exactly blow them off.

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 31
I don't doubt they improve the sound somewhat, but basically, you're paying someone (who invariably markets their "service" as some voodoo-hoodoo dark audiophiliac art; pure on offensive ********, preying on audiofools' susceptibility to said drivel) an INSANE premium for their time/hr to mainly replace passive components.

There's a reason these guys are in the mod business and not in the design, engineering or manufacturing business. Charlatans, I say /spit

Your money goes a light year farther by getting something high end in the first place.

Pay these vultures to put go-faster tires and a DIY spoiler on a Yaris, or just buy a WRX STI outright and get a bloody better car! It's still a Yaris. If you get what I mean!

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 31
I've still yet to hear another better sounding source at or under what I paid for my player (bought stock new, and then sent to Dan Wright for modding a few months later). Granted, I haven't heard them all, but there isn't much in the hi-rez arena in that pricerange. I also know that that the degree of improvement I got with the two players Dan modded for me, surpassed the improvement I heard on my SACDmods modified player by a lot. There is a big difference in cost, but I have never balked at the money I spent (and it's not like I have a lot of disposable income, or anything).

Things like analog output stages & power supplies make a big difference in a source's sonics. In the end, the sound quality compared to something you can buy off-the-shelf is all that matters. If I didn't need a hi-rez player, I might have gone a different route. But I really, really like my player for all the discs - SACD, DVD-A, & Redbook - that I play thru it.

I had heard the Denon's were good platforms for modding. Dan has continued to answer emails quickly & politely about my player. I wonder why those guys aren't modding them anymore *shrug*.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had heard the Denon's were good platforms for modding. Dan has continued to answer emails quickly & politely about my player. I wonder why those guys aren't modding them anymore *shrug*.

When I asked Dan on the ModWright forums the response I got was:

"I am sorry but we will not be modifying Denon players going forward. Our past track record with drive reliability and difficult in obtaining replacement parts is what drives this decision."

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 31
Good information for future reference - thanks.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't doubt they improve the sound somewhat, but basically, you're paying someone (who invariably markets their "service" as some voodoo-hoodoo dark audiophiliac art; pure on offensive ********, preying on audiofools' susceptibility to said drivel) an INSANE premium for their time/hr to mainly replace passive components.

There's a reason these guys are in the mod business and not in the design, engineering or manufacturing business. Charlatans, I say /spit

Your money goes a light year farther by getting something high end in the first place.

Pay these vultures to put go-faster tires and a DIY spoiler on a Yaris, or just buy a WRX STI outright and get a bloody better car! It's still a Yaris. If you get what I mean!

I have a Modwright modded transporter and believe it greatly improves on the stock transporters sound. Modwright replaces the analog output stage with a custom tube rectified analog output stage that to my ears make the transporter one of the best sources I've heard.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 31
My concern is what happens should ModWright go out of business and your Transporter craps out. You may end up with a $4,000 door stop because Slim Devices won't touch that unit.

I'm in the process of overhauling my digital sources and am leaning towards the Transporter.

--Jerome

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 31
I'm really leaning toward getting a Transporter. Prices have dropped on them and I like that I could use it as a stand alone DAC or as part of a music server. I currently have a Duet + HR Micro DAC. The Transporter I'm sure would be quite a step up.

I'm also considering getting a used Exemplar or ModWright Modded Denon 3910. Since neither of these companies are willing to mod my 3930CI that might be the only way to go if I want an upgraded universal player. Unless I get my 3930CI modded by SACDmods. I guess the question is which would sound better: a 3930CI modded by SACDmods or a 3910 modded by Exemplar or ModWright? Any opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back