Better Sound for Mac Users- Pure Music Player
Jun 4, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #121 of 150
That's a weird one. Under advanced preferences there are a couple of options about keeping the iTunes window on top of the others that you could make sure are de-selected. Other that that I don't know.

The biggest bug for me is that I have to run iTunes without PM for certain iPod functionalities, and the fact that it displays differently on different machines/displays regardless of the OS. It also won't upsample when I am running AstoundSound, but that's Astound's fault for being limited to 44.1k. Oh and the play button always has the play symbol displayed even when iTunes is paused; the PM scrolling bar says paused though.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #122 of 150
I unchecked "Notify when busy loading into memory" in the Pure Music Preferences and this seems to have fixed this "issue" for me.  Thanks for the tip on checking those windows on top options, it lead me to the solution.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #123 of 150
Just downloaded the latest software version; I just played the same album over and it does seem to sound even better.

Haven't tried the myriad new options yet but the play-through will be great for Internet Radio and other online music.

Question: How would one go about importing a DSD file? I assume these would be ripped from SACD's but I did not think that was possible.

Great stuff this Pure Music!

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #124 of 150
Hmm I've got the "automatically check for updates" checked in the PM prefs but evidently it's not checking (running 1.74a).

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #125 of 150
I think it only checks for updates when you restart it, that's the only way it seemed to check and tell me that 1.8 was available.

I need to try the new streaming (play through) capability, not even sure how to do it yet? I am hoping it will let me play the Linn feed through iTunes.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #126 of 150
So I downloaded v1.8a and all of a sudden had distortion issues when playing at full iTunes volume, particularly in the low end. I played around quite a bit with the audio settings, disabled AstoundSound, played around with upsampling which didn't go too well as I could not only not stop the distortion but the upsampling would revert to 44.1 on the next song, etc. Finally I disabled the DSP options and everything got better. I have re-introduced AstoundSound (just level 1 as usual) to the mix, and even have upsampling working correctly and distortion-free with the "disable DSP options except upsampling, mono and invert" setting. Works for me, I like to keep things simple anyways. When I disabled the DSP options I lost the sidebar but still have the scrolling bar on top, so it looks better and I still have access to the preferences through the menu bar. Pure Music sounds better than ever now, whew!

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #127 of 150
For those of you familiar with using multiuser, general purpose systems, here's a tip I posted elsewhere that might be useful for those wanting to extract that last iota stability. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539740/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes/660#post_7516421

This should work for other SW players as well. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #128 of 150
Thanks for the tip.

My old mid-2007 macbook is dedicated to music though, and I am not sure wether that would be necessary in that set up ?

I downloaded a few days ago the latest 1.8 version and use it with integer mode (the AP2 is compatible). While it is certainly technically more impressive (dynamic, silence, black background, instrument separation), I find it borderline shrill and more agressive, lacking somehow weight and body... I guess this will be very system dependant but I preferred the fuller and more analog feeling of the previous version 1.74 I think... Need to play some more time with it though.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #129 of 150
Keep in mind that when you change or adjust one link in the chain you might have to adjust other links slightly go optimize system synergy again.

When I introduce a new component to my system or even a new software I take a look at everything.  Because I have a lot of extra cables [power, ic, speaker etc.] I make swaps as necessary and even do slight adjustments to the OS [in my case Linux so I adjust my buffer and real-time parameters].  I know its anal and time consuming but at least I satisfy myself in knowing I ended up with the best synergy possible.  Then if the new component does not measure up I get rid of it.

Just my .02

BTW, on my MacMini I use pure music 1.8 as well, the rest that system is really not up to snuff enough to be able to discern small differences, so I just listen and enjoy it as is....I have a TC Konnekt 8 hooked up via Firewire with SR-80is.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #130 of 150
Dedicated computer audio systems would not need a separate account. They are already starting from a clean slate, and would stay in that context. The separate user account only eliminates potential issues when the system is being used as a multipurpose device, e.g. doing work while you play music. If you use your computer for other activities, e.g. work, there may be dropouts, skipping or other playback anomalies that would otherwise go unnoticed. The idea is to turn off/disable anything that would effect the data stream to the DAC. That's all. 

On another note, I'm not sure that v1.8 includes updates that would impact or change the fundamental sound quality during playback, e.g. any normally applied DSP, or other types of algorithms. However, Rob at Pure Music can chime in if he'd like to. It is my understanding that he added new features including native Integer mode (for DACs that support it), pass through for several additional data streams, directly play DSD media, and improvements for importing FLAC files.   

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

My old mid-2007 macbook is dedicated to music though, and I am not sure wether that would be necessary in that set up ?

I downloaded a few days ago the latest 1.8 version and use it with integer mode (the AP2 is compatible). While it is certainly technically more impressive (dynamic, silence, black background, instrument separation), I find it borderline shrill and more agressive, lacking somehow weight and body... I guess this will be very system dependant but I preferred the fuller and more analog feeling of the previous version 1.74 I think... Need to play some more time with it though.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #131 of 150

Quote:
. The idea is to turn off/disable anything that would effect the data stream to the DAC. That's all. 

"renice" works great to increase the process priority for audio and reduce the change of drop outs.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #132 of 150
eek! Another UNIX guy?! 

Righto, that works. Here's a link using a third-party app that's a work around "sticky:"  http://superuser.com/questions/285355/how-to-permanently-renice-a-process-on-mac-os-x-or-ios-etc

Well, I'm not sure which is simpler, the dedicated user account or "renice." 

Quote:
"renice" works great to increase the process priority for audio and reduce the change of drop outs.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #133 of 150

LOL....yeah UNIX is great!!!!

I tried it on my Mac Mini but never bothered to make it permanent...too lazy I guess.  Mac is not my primary computer either...

One of these days I am going to get Music Player Daemon working on my Mac, when/if that happens I will try to document the steps into simple to follow instructions and put it on my website.

Quote:
eek! Another UNIX guy?! 

Righto, that works. Here's a link using a third-party app that's a work around "sticky:"  http://superuser.com/questions/285355/how-to-permanently-renice-a-process-on-mac-os-x-or-ios-etc

Well, I'm not sure which is simpler, the dedicated user account or "renice." 

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #134 of 150
For many users, players like Amarra and Pure Music WILL make a difference. It all boils down to iTune's rather iffy audio engine that doesn't always nicely handle the higher bitrate files it accepts. Basically, something like Pure Music or Amarra will natively play these files and not do some on-the-fly conversion for the 24 bit files in your library. If you equalize, you will actually be able to take advantage of the dynamic range that 24 bit offers at that point.  The EQ's will be WAY better than anything in iTunes. I'm guessing legitimate mastering algorithms are used in the EQ's... so used properly you should be able to get the perfect sound out of your headphones. It's certainly a heck of a lot cheaper and more user friendly than trying to run your iTunes through a routed VST Waves Equalizer.

Honestly, it's no better than a copy of Pro-Tools/Ableton Live/Logic Pro with a dedicated ASIO driver. . In terms of improving .mp3's.... you can't just do that. You can process them in something like iZotope's VST mastering environment, but the overall fidelity will remain what it is.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #135 of 150
I've just done a bunch of cleanup in this thread.  Please, if you want to discuss whether or not software like pure music is quantifiably valid, please take it to the sound science forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back