Better Sound for Mac Users- Pure Music Player
Mar 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 150

bixby

Headphoneus Supremus
I just wanted to let folks know that there is a new music player for Mac users that is better than itunes for playback (in my opinion) on high quality systems.

I found out about it from another forum and have been playing with the demo for several days now. I like the sound quality a lot better than itunes. iTunes is still decent mind, but this is a step up in naturalness. It uses itunes for it's database and search capabilities, but uses it's own 64 bit audio player.

It competes with other audiophile players like Amarra, only costs quite a bit less.

I first ran into the gentleman behind Pure Music in 2006 at RMAF. He wrote the Pure Vinyl software for digitizing vinyl on your Mac. It has a really good reputation.

FYI, downloading the demo gets you a full featured software for 15 days.

I am placing my order today since he has a special running through March 14 at $79. EDIT- The site is PURE-MUSIC-PLAYER.COM

And no I don't work for Pure Music. Just impressed user. I have been waiting a long time for something like this to come along.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use fluke.

Isn't that just a FLAC plug-in for itunes, rather than a music player?

Thank Bixby for posting. i had been considering Amara but at $400, dongle hassles and still in an apparent quasi-beta state, I hesitated.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared it to anything other than itunes?

On the pc, I use foobar and have used itunes, album player, and winamp.

On the Mac side I have used ecoute, itunes, and heard vlc.

I have not read anywhere that some like cog or play are much better and I am not about to try ten players that have received only mediocre reviews. The beauty of Amarra and Pure Music is that they use itunes data and organizational format. It is quite convenient. And the geeks I trust or audiophiles, if you will, like both.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 150
Thanks for the link and info. This one is all new to me.
Will definitely check out.
smile.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link and info. This one is all new to me.
Will definitely check out.
smile.gif

I am curious to hear how you like it with your K1000s. should sound superb!

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin sawdust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just purchased and have just updated to version 1.02.Don't know what the main differences are but have noticed there is now a reset button which restarts the player in seconds.

I did read that 1.02 now support time remaining or used on the Touch as a remote updating playback time every 3 secs or so, whereas before it would not move at all.

Not sure of other differences.

How are you liking the sound?

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 150
You just stole 80 bucks from me!
I was hoping that I could find something like this, but never took the time to look for a program.

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just stole 80 bucks from me!
I was hoping that I could find something like this, but never took the time to look for a program.

I didn't get your $80, please send it to me again
k701smile.gif

Not really, I have nothing to do with Pure Music other than being a customer.

but if you want to donate some $ to me for the turn on feel free!

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 150
I downloaded the demo and tried it. It is really intended for users that want to control the volume on their Mac. It appears to have a highly configurable and sophisticated set of algorithms for adjusting the volume and EQ (along with a number of other features). It also appears to integrate tightly (although using a highly non-Mac-like interface) with iTunes.

For those of us that just want a bit-perfect audio player and control the volume using an external headphone amp I don't really see anything that I'd pay money for. iTunes or VLC both do that just fine.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back