1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Better headphones or headphones + amp?

1. kite2400
    So over Christmas, one of my buddies gave me a $100 gift card. I wasn't sure what I was going to spend it on, but I finally decided I wanted to get a decent pair of iems. I was just wondering if I would be better off buying a pair of $40-60 dollar ones like the gr06 or am90's along with one of those fiio amp's like the e5/6/10/11 or just gun for the more expensive iem's like the se215 or the x10. In short I am asking

$50 dollar amp and $50 iem

OR

$100 iem

Excuse my lingo if I used iem incorrectly still pretty new to this, but I think you get the point. And yes it does have to be under $100 since I'm sure most online stores don't accept two forms of payment. I still haven't decided which iem's I wanted, but so far the ones I listed are looking pretty good. I also know the e5/6/10/11 amp's aren't hugely praised, but I don't really plan on spending too much on a amp regardless. I'm hoping to use the new setup for a few year's as well so keep that in mind.

2. soundeffect
    If the IEM you choosing doesn't need an amp then all in on the IEM. To me get a good headphone/IEM first then an amp, of course if that IEM doesn't need an amp to push it.

3. TwinQY
    $100 IEM. Always go for transducer upgrades rather than the amp or source as a rule of thumb. It just makes more sense, especially when you're talking about IEMs. Lower-end, not-very-power-hungry ones at that. If the upgrade path is sheerly IEMs and the DAP you're using is good enough, I see no necessity for buying an amp...ever. Put full-sized headphones into the equation, or some power-siphons like the Tzars or the RE262/272 and the story gets to be a little more different. 

Anyways, suggestions. Stating sound preferences, genres, preferences regarding comfort, build, and isolation/fit would be helpful. 

Also - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-273-iems-compared-vsonic-vc02-added-02-24-13-p-641