Better headphones or headphones + amp?
Mar 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kite2400

New Head-Fier
So over Christmas, one of my buddies gave me a $100 gift card. I wasn't sure what I was going to spend it on, but I finally decided I wanted to get a decent pair of iems. I was just wondering if I would be better off buying a pair of $40-60 dollar ones like the gr06 or am90's along with one of those fiio amp's like the e5/6/10/11 or just gun for the more expensive iem's like the se215 or the x10. In short I am asking

$50 dollar amp and $50 iem

OR

$100 iem

Excuse my lingo if I used iem incorrectly still pretty new to this, but I think you get the point. And yes it does have to be under $100 since I'm sure most online stores don't accept two forms of payment. I still haven't decided which iem's I wanted, but so far the ones I listed are looking pretty good. I also know the e5/6/10/11 amp's aren't hugely praised, but I don't really plan on spending too much on a amp regardless. I'm hoping to use the new setup for a few year's as well so keep that in mind.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 3
If the IEM you choosing doesn't need an amp then all in on the IEM. To me get a good headphone/IEM first then an amp, of course if that IEM doesn't need an amp to push it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 3
$100 IEM. Always go for transducer upgrades rather than the amp or source as a rule of thumb. It just makes more sense, especially when you're talking about IEMs. Lower-end, not-very-power-hungry ones at that. If the upgrade path is sheerly IEMs and the DAP you're using is good enough, I see no necessity for buying an amp...ever. Put full-sized headphones into the equation, or some power-siphons like the Tzars or the RE262/272 and the story gets to be a little more different. 

Anyways, suggestions. Stating sound preferences, genres, preferences regarding comfort, build, and isolation/fit would be helpful. 

Also - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-273-iems-compared-vsonic-vc02-added-02-24-13-p-641

Users who are viewing this thread

Back