Beta22 Volume Control
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

rhys h

Banned
So, my beta is on its way to be finished. I have a few ideas and not really any conclusion on what to do for vol control.

I was thinking,

Internal Alps Blue / Internal Chinese Stepper

Or

External (seperate box to be able to use with other preamps / headamps) Joshua tree or similar digital alternative.

My signal chain would be

y1 Dac > External Vol Control > Beta22 > Pass F5 Clone

or

y1 Dac > Beta22 internal pot > Pass F5 Clone

Can i just have some quick input on this ?

What other options are there for a quality attenator? (Without going over the top on the price)

R

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 53
Goldpoint makes nice external attenuators, they call them "passive preamps" but I would just stick with something inside the beta22. That way you wouldn't need any additional interconnects, not to mention all the non-soldered connections might degrade the sound quality a bit.

I am using a balanced ALPS RK27 "blue velvet" in my beta 22 and it sounds great. If you aren't building a balanced beta 22, you might be able to find the ALPS RK40 "black beauty", an even better sounding attenuator. Of course the Joshua Tree would be about the best you can get if you're willing to spend the money. The DACT CT2 is also superb. I wouldn't trust the chinese stepped attenuators, I've heard from others that the quality is hit and miss, some sound decent and others absolutely ghastly.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goldpoint makes nice external attenuators, they call them "passive preamps" but I would just stick with something inside the beta22. That way you wouldn't need any additional interconnects, not to mention all the non-soldered connections might degrade the sound quality a bit.

I am using a balanced ALPS RK27 "blue velvet" in my beta 22 and it sounds great. If you aren't building a balanced beta 22, you might be able to find the ALPS RK40 "black beauty", an even better sounding attenuator. Of course the Joshua Tree would be about the best you can get if you're willing to spend the money. The DACT CT2 is also superb. I wouldn't trust the chinese stepped attenuators, I've heard from others that the quality is hit and miss, some sound decent and others absolutely ghastly.

I think i will end up sticking with somthing internal. Thinking about somthing external, would include the price of the case, panelwork, interconnects etc.

I am building the 3 channel beta, so the RK40 is an option.

Thanks for the input.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 53
TKD CP2511 is a really nice pot. You can find them in balanced (german site), but they are really expensive (190 euro IIRC). For SE, you can get these at Michael Percy Audio or PartsConnexion. Around $65

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TKD CP2511 is a really nice pot. You can find them in balanced (german site), but they are really expensive (190 euro IIRC). For SE, you can get these at Michael Percy Audio or PartsConnexion. Around $65

I will take a look at the stereo version.

How is the CP2511 compared to the RK40?

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 53
I think a external joshua tree is the way to go. Yes it will cost a lot more to start with, but cheaper in the long run as i only ever need the single volume control.

By using high quality plugs and sockets, there should be none if any audiable diffrence. There will only be about 10 inches max between the volume control and the beta.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhys h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a external joshua tree is the way to go. Yes it will cost a lot more to start with, but cheaper in the long run as i only ever need the single volume control.

By using high quality plugs and sockets, there should be none if any audiable diffrence. There will only be about 10 inches max between the volume control and the beta.

Except it's a Hi-Z signal after the pot which is susceptible to interference and noise so I hope you don't have any power wiring around there.
wink.gif

Where are you guys finding the RK40, I haven't seen them anywhere.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except it's a Hi-Z signal after the pot which is susceptible to interference and noise so I hope you don't have any power wiring around there.
wink.gif

Where are you guys finding the RK40, I haven't seen them anywhere.

The idea is to use sheilded cable. No power wiring nearby, this is somthing that i have took into consideration, do you think 50hz hum would be a big problem?

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 53
Sweet
biggrin.gif
I am on the fence about an attenuator atm. I certainly do find the external passive pre-amp attenuators appealing, especially the ones that use transformers/autoformers, they do cost though.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 53
Well, im thinking of a joshua tree, with a nice hifi2000 box and FPE panels. Should be a good simple side project with great results.

I dont want to buy an expensive attenuator such as the joshua tree, and have it stuck inside the beta. This would meen buying another one for every project. No thanks.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the expense is in the rotary encoder control. Basically it's just a resistive attenuator like all the rest.

Are you refering to the joshua tree? It is controlled by a standard pot connected to a logic board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back