Beta22 Volume Control
Feb 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how will you determine if there are "problems"? Just listen and whatever feels right, or will you actually measure things...

Just by sound. I couldnt care less how my system measures, aslong as i think i have got value for my money!

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhys h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have scrapped the B1 idea. I am going to go with a external passive joshua tree OR stepped attenuator. If there are problems i will change. I dont think there should be a problem with 1ft of cable. Any objections?

R

Objections to this idea were already raised from what I can see.
It seems like a strange idea to me. You want to use a very high quality attenuator to presumably improve the sound quality over an rk-27. I suppose you will have some improvement in channel matching, even if it's only measurable rather than perceptible.
The thing is now you're introducing the problems noted here. It reminds me of the saying 'one step forward and ten steps back'.

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhys h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just by sound. I couldnt care less how my system measures, aslong as i think i have got value for my money!

reminds me of a time I listened to the worse cobbled together system I've ever seen and I say, you have serious issues with this and that and probably some oscillations here and there and things running way too hot. The guy said, nope, it sounds great to me things are as flat as a ruler... who cares how it measured he said? Then we measured things and spent time (lots) making things work properly... afterward, he said he had no idea this is what things were supposed to sound like.

Looks like you're headed down this path .. have fun!

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reminds me of a time I listened to the worse cobbled together system I've ever seen and I say, you have serious issues with this and that and probably some oscillations here and there and things running way too hot. The guy said, nope, it sounds great to me things are as flat as a ruler... who cares how it measured he said? Then we measured things and spent time (lots) making things work properly... afterward, he said he had no idea this is what things were supposed to sound like.

Looks like you're headed down this path .. have fun!

When i said i dont care how my system measures, this is not entirley correct. I will measure for high distortion, oscillation and other obvious things. What i meant to say is, im more intrested in how my system sounds by ear if working correctly, then on paper.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what was wrong with the RK27? you have a 60% failure rate out of the box... seems kind of high.

I dont perticualy like the sound of it, most of the time i get some kind of hiss or crackle at some part in the rotation without taking it to bits and back.

I think i am going to stay away from them, unless in smaller amps.

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #53 of 53
I think the RK27 is really great for the price-- and excellent value for sure. Mine was about $30 and sounds good, any reasonable balanced attenuator upgrade would be well over $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back