Best volume settings in the chain for best results.
Apr 24, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #16 of 21
Which is another example of subjective experience in audio, you know what you think is best for you, I know what appeals to me, as demonstrated throughout this site.
If you like it that it all that matters as it is your ears and your money.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 21
OK, for now, till the SMSL M6 arrives I have just found a 10m OFC cable 3.5mm to RCA and plugged that into the headphone out on the T2 into the 8R, because the real comparison was long cable versus Bluetooth and subjectively, the long cable sounds better than bluetooth.

BT and AptX still introduce a compression that will almost always be more noticeable than the impedance issue with a longer cable. Besides this is a home set up - unless it's in a living room where speaker position might require more work to hide the cables to prevent toddlers tripping on them or pets chewing on them there's really nothing to be gained for the compromises in wireless.

Your main problem here is comparing a lower noise line out into the 8R, so what you should have compared that to is hooking up the M6's line out direct into the 8R, although the higher voltage out of the T2 as long as it doesn't result in awfully obvious noise will have a tendency to sound better to some people due to the louder signal.

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #18 of 21
BT and AptX still introduce a compression that will almost always be more noticeable than the impedance issue with a longer cable. Besides this is a home set up - unless it's in a living room where speaker position might require more work to hide the cables to prevent toddlers tripping on them or pets chewing on them there's really nothing to be gained for the compromises in wireless.

Your main problem here is comparing a lower noise line out into the 8R, so what you should have compared that to is hooking up the M6's line out direct into the 8R, although the higher voltage out of the T2 as long as it doesn't result in awfully obvious noise will have a tendency to sound better to some people due to the louder signal.
Thanks for that advice, my M6 has arrived, I have auditioned it using headphones and I like what I have heard so far, playing DSD files at 192Khz, CMedia driver isn't working yet, had to remove it and using windows drivers at lower quality, but still higher than the Cyrus Soundkey, does seem clearer audio, a bit bright if anything, might have to play with the equalizer.

For the 8R I am going out the RCA's on the M6 to a Little Bear P5-1 v1.3 with russian valves and then into the amp, limited listening so far similar to headphones, clearer brighter sound, again EQ might be in order.

Using MusicBee, WASAPI Exclusive, 100% volume, to the USB connected M6, no control of volume on RCA outs, then RCA Outs to either T2 for headphones or Little Bear P5 for Speakers, Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 6's, bipowered using 8r linked to the 8P Power amp, 8R driving high frequencies, 8P Mid/Bass woofers. I am very pleased with the sound now, thanks to all who have offered advice, any other comments welcomed, I like playing trying out new configs.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 21
OK, I have played around and settled on the following, for sound and convenience.

Laptop USB to SMSL M6, SMSL M6 RCA Outs to Little Bear P5-1 Valve preamp/buffer then to Arcam Alpha 8R/P Amp combo, SMSL M6 headphone out to SMSL T2 Valve headphone amp.

No additional noise on headphones using headphone out on SMSL M6 versus the RCA outs, I can now adjust the headphone volume by balancing volume between M6 and T2, Arcam controls speaker volume.

Easy now to switch using M6 between speakers and headphone listening and both give me a listening experience I am currently satisfied with and am enjoying.

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #20 of 21
I adjust the digtal volume, if it's done in 24 bit as I think they all are now, to whatever value gives me the volume knob all the way up, or almost, on my softest mastered music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back