Best Universal Headphones for 300 and under.
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jacobap100

100+ Head-Fier
Help I need to decide on a headphone under 300$.
I mainly listen to bass heavy music like rap and hip-hop so I want a very deep and booming bass. Ive been looking at the monster Turbine Golds and the Westone 2 and the 3 if I can get a deal where it is 300 or less.
I ride the bus a lot so I need isolation as well.
Any Suggestions???

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 11
Monster Turbines give decent isolation (you can do better, Klipsch x10 for example) and have extremely powerful bass.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 11
I have Klipsch Image X10's they have excellent bass for such a small earphone.

I am running them through a Fiio E7 - LOD - 5.5g iPod, with custom sleeves on them and am amazed at how responsive they are.

You should be able to find them cheap online, mine set me back €150 2 yrs ago.

The only downside mids can be a bit muddy and the cables can be noisy

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
jacobap - i find the bass response on the x10 fantastic but to really get the most out of it they need to be amped

I agree.   Amping does make a difference with these.   If you're going to get a pair, I would suggest acting relatively quickly.   There is a rumour that they are going out of production.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 11
kiwirugby,

I am aware that Klipsch were bought out, but had not been made aware they were stopping production.

Would be a shame if the dropped the x10 unless they are bringing out a better replacement.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Future Sonics Atrio M5. Tight, yet punchy and powerful bass without bloating and overpowering the mids :)

Oh, and the sound great without amping, straight out of players like the J3 or iPod 5.5. I use mine for female vocals, as well as hardhitting bass stuff like Deadmau5. Only thing is, they need burn-in, about 50 hours or so before sounding their best. In fact, anyone NOT believing in burn-in for headphones should get a pair of Atrios. Check out the appreciation thread here on Head-Fi :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back