Best under $700 amp for the HD800
Oct 27, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Axel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent amp to drive my new HD800.
My budget is limited to $700.
Your turn now...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 15
Get someone to build you a SE EHHA. Should come out to 500- 600$ at most considering labor and all. World class quality amplification on the cheap.

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Axel,
2+ for the Woo Audio WA6. Less than $600, built like a tank and locally made. It also has a very upfront sound (not in your face) that is very appealing to me (esp. orch and jazz).

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 15
Another thought is the Elekit TU-882R is surprisingly good with the HD-800, if not as detailed as they are capable of going. Use the rest of your budget for better tubes.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm looking for an amp around the same price. Has anyone used the Little Dot MK VI+? Either single ended or balanced?

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 15
If possible, set a quality baseline with an amp in the $1500-2000 range that's known to synergize with the HD800. When you get the sound that you want, use that as your standard for testing amps in your current price range. The HD800 is brutally honest. You'll know quickly whether an amp works or not. If you can't find anything in the price range that comes close, wait. Save up for an amp that delivers. Assuming, of course, that you can live for a while with the amp that you currently own.

Be sure to use a quality recording for your tests. The HD800 will expose the weakness in recordings, too, so you want to make sure that the independent variable is the amp and not the recording or the HD800.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMiller1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an amp around the same price. Has anyone used the Little Dot MK VI+? Either single ended or balanced?

I haven't heard HD800s on it, but I use one with my HD600 daily and love it.

Sorry to not be very helpful, but the build quality is great and service is good also.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 15
I would use a quality solid state amp, like the Gilmore Lite, M^3 or EC/SS. Most of the inexpensive tube amps have cheapened power supplies to save money. Nothing is more important than the power supply in a tube amp.

I know tuberolling gets the majority of attention with tubes, but the power supply is the biggest factor in determining quality. You essentially are listening to the power supply, so its quality is of the utmost importance. If you have a little AC ripple or other nasties coming through, then the HD-800 will hold those up for you to hear. It is an unforgiving headphone. The problem with tube amps is that building a good power supply costs money. Good filtering, regulation, chokes, etc. add significantly to the cost. So unless you are prepared to buy an amp that has a great power supply, then you will not get the full benefit of the HD-800.

Solid state, on the other hand, is relatively inexpensive to build a power supply for. Chips run on far less power so you don't have to use big iron to smooth the power. Much less expensive options are implemented.

So go with a quality solid state amp and save up for a good tube amp. Or build your own, which is the least expensive option.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If possible, set a quality baseline with an amp in the $1500-2000 range that's known to synergize with the HD800. When you get the sound that you want, use that as your standard for testing amps in your current price range. The HD800 is brutally honest. You'll know quickly whether an amp works or not. If you can't find anything in the price range that comes close, wait. Save up for an amp that delivers. Assuming, of course, that you can live for a while with the amp that you currently own.

Be sure to use a quality recording for your tests. The HD800 will expose the weakness in recordings, too, so you want to make sure that the independent variable is the amp and not the recording or the HD800.

Now that's what I call an intelligent answer.... I will use that advice for myself.. I also want to upgrade my ASL amp for my HD800....

Denys

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks!
How about Lehmann's BC Linear? I have a chance to purchase it at a really tempting price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back