Best Under $350 Studio Monitor Headphones?
Jul 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ilzmastr

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones to monitor my electronic and rock recordings that are under $350. I will also use them to listen to electronic and rock type music. Closed or Open, doesn't really matter. My two requirements: 1) is that they not require an amp, if they are better with an amp, that's okay because I may get one later but not immediately. 2) That they go around the ears, not in, and not sit on top like the grados, and not need modification to sit around the ear.
I will be listening from my macbook output most of the time.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I'm looking for headphones to monitor my electronic and rock recordings that are under $350. I will also use them to listen to electronic and rock type music. Closed or Open, doesn't really matter. My two requirements: 1) is that they not require an amp, if they are better with an amp, that's okay because I may get one later but not immediately. 2) That they go around the ears, not in, and not sit on top like the grados, and not need modification to sit around the ear.
I will be listening from my Macbook output most of the time.

Thanks!

AKG K550
Audio Technica ATH-A900X

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 8
The only Monitoring Headphones I have is the HD661 ... lolz .... $50 :)

May 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 8
+1 on the MDR-7506 for studio monitoring. They've been around so long for a reason -- I've had mine since the early 90's.

Pretty much anything suggested so far would work for you. Good luck!

May 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Though the OP from 2012 doesn't look like they returned to head-fi.org, maybe another newcomer will spot this thread.

7506 are good tracking and monitoring headphones. While mixing will mostly be done on speakers, with headphones being so popular, they make an important reference.

Sony's new MDR-7520 is awesome, really bring up the details, especially on the low-end. Flat mids, very detailed, you won't blow out your ears and will be able to make good decisions at lower volumes across the spectrum.

Sennheiser HD250 Linear - one of if not the best balanced closed headphone from the 80s, 90s and early '00s. A bit hard to come by in good condition, but honestly better balanced than HD650. Still, this would be more a mastering reference or composing headphone. The 7520 would still be a better monitor or for use on a console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back