Best Trance & Progressive Headphones
Apr 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
So it appears that I'll only find the extended sondstage I'm after with the PRO series. But deciding between the PRO series is the issue. They are all roughly within my budget, and I'd be willing to spend a bit over, if it's deemed worthy. Surprisingly, there's been very little mention of the DJ1 PROS. Any particular reason why?

I think those are rebadged PRO 550s. People usually skip on the low end stuff when they could go to a higher model number. I was lucky enough to audition them in the DXC store in LA first.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #17 of 31
So I've at least managed to narrow the choice down to the following 3:

1. DJ1 PRO ($140)
2. 750 PRO ($190)
3. 780 ($156)

Those are all brand new by the way. Given those prices, final thoughts?

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 31
Come to think of it, I forgot to mention something that should help further narrow my choice(s). Noise cancellation is an absolute must for me, which is obviously native to all closed cans, yet tends to vary greatly based on personal reviews I've encountered. Which of the 3 I've listed above has the best noise cancellation?

EDIT: Scratch the M50's. I'm going Ultrasone, all the way!

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 31
Located a Guitar Center not too far from me! I'll make a trip down there tomorrow and hopefully test them out in person. I wasn't aware of which retail location carry what selections. What other retail locations can I visit in order to test out my top choices in person? I'm in Maryland by the way.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 31
Just checked in with Guitar Center, and unfortunately, they don't carry any Ultrasones, and instead, must order them in.
frown.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #22 of 31
Just checked in with Guitar Center, and unfortunately, they don't carry any Ultrasones, and instead, must order them in.
frown.gif

Do you have to buy them when they're ordered, or can you test and just say No Thanks...? Because buying them on the net would be better than ordering...Unless you don't pay sales tax.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #23 of 31
As far as I know, they can be ordered online and shipped to any retail location nearby; needless to say, they must be "ordered" or purchased first. However, all their products carry at least a 90 day return period, so you could always return within their 90 day return.

EDIT: 15% restocking fee on any open box return.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #24 of 31
Since the majority have obviously pointed out in numerous threads that Ultrasones are practically perfect for trance/techno/progressive, if I decide to spend a bit more and score one of the 900 PRO's, can I easily conclude that the 900 PRO's will outshine the aforementioned choices, especially in the bass/soundstage department?

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #25 of 31
Thank you to everyone for their expertise, I've decided to spend a bit more and have settled on the PRO 900's. I'm absolutely psyched and cannot wait to hear them, as they will be my second ever closed cans, which isn't too bad of a start into the world of audiophilia! :)

May 31, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 31
Hey, I have been following your thread and am also on the hunt for a set of closed cans dedicated to trance / progressive, how are you liking the PRO 900's?  I had my on the upper end of the Ultrasone line up.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 31
Since he has them up for sale, I would guess it didn't go so well.

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #28 of 31
Sorry for the belated response, lost track of this thread in my giant list of subscribed threads. I have absolutely no complaints with the 900 PRO's, and wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them to any EDM listener.

Quote: joelpearce
Since he has them up for sale, I would guess it didn't go so well.

tongue.gif
 Go figure, right? I'm only kidding my friend; my only reason for selling them was because while I was busy with 12 different top tier in-ears at the same time, my 900 PRO's were set off to the side, and that's a no go. Not to mention, I ultimately decided that since I'm always on the go, I'm simply too accustomed to in-ears. It was a fun venture, and I'm sure I'll revisit Ultrasones again in the distant future.
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #29 of 31
i have the pro 750 and also got a hfi model for my dad, i only listen to and also produce trance.
this is going to sound contradictory to the other posts but i wouldnt use them for trance due to the unacceptable colouration, the bass is exaggerated (although controlled and not boomey) but they have a high midrange dip which doesnt work well for edm, this sounds great for rock/metal but for edm is sounds restricted as alot of synths are in that range and it sounds slightly unnatural when compared to another headphone.
i also think the ultrasones are too plasticey and creak alot, i dont think theyre worth the price.

i use sony sa5000 which for along time were known as THE headphone for trance/edm music. little colouration (comparing them to monitor speakers) apart from a slight increase in the high mid which is a benefit for edm, a bit cold sounding, very fast and alot of detail.
i think they stopped selling them recently but theres still a few on amazon and u could prob pick a pair up on the sale forum here.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #30 of 31
I just want to say... I compared the Ultrasone Pro 900's with the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium and I actually preferred the beyerdynamic sound for trance. Perhaps because I don't like the club sound so much... I prefer more analytical listening for my trance. In either case, you cannot go wrong with the ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back