Best TOTL CIEM no price limit
Apr 11, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 28
Bad seal ruins IEMs for sure. Custom will get you perfect seal, but don’t expect to resell them easily.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t know the price of the Fourte and Tzar when I tried them out.

Is it worth the price? There are people out there that buy 1k shoes and 3k jackets. As said before in the thread, only way to be sure is to try it (and budget accordingly). :deadhorse:
I have no issue with spending the money if it is worth it. Best to listen to it and make sure as even between 1k and 4k+ custom iems it comes down to slight sonic differences and preferences.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 28
I'm not sure why I haven't gotten notifications about posts in this forum. I really liked the recommendations and @noper thanks for your detailed response. I just got a universal IEM that fits as well as my custom...the Legend X, it seems so big, but they are so light that they fit in the ear perfectly. I am very happy with them. I have currently sold all other IEMs/Headphones and I think my current IEMs encompass every type/flavor of sound. Currently I own the Fourte, A12t, and Legend X. It seems like it is a cop-out to say that I don't really think any one of them is the best, they all have their place. If I had to own just one it would probably be a close tie between the A12t and the Legend X, both play really well with all genres and have a nice, fun, sound when you want to listen to music that is a bit 'dancier'

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 28
Empire Ears produces really well-fitting universals. They even manage to fit my girlfriend’s tiny ears perfectly. I owned Vegas for a short period and they just hurt too much after a few hours to justify keeping.

I wouldn’t say it’s a cop-out. Just depends on what you’re in the mood for imo. Trick is to find the equipment with the sig that does it the best for you.

Speaking of which, I may be less keen on the Tia Fourte once I head over to Ultimate Ears and see what their new U18+ v3 is all about...

Apr 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 28
Give Empire Ears a PM or email, they can send you over a universal demo unit provided you give them a refundable deposit and cover shipping.

Also to answer your question, the two units you listed are drastically different in tone. When I ordered my Phantoms I knew what I was getting: a tonally accurate IEM that achieves accuracy via warmth and a space-filling sound. These do not have a black background, but the kind of resonance you get sounds like the music is filling a room around you with. There is subbass, but bass is mostly focused around the midbass/lowmid region. It doesn’t sound distorted and it doesn’t overshadow the mids or highs, but it forms the base on which other sounds are built, so expect it to be very present. Somehow, it retains excellent separation and imaging, but don’t expect an “airy ethereal” sound. Treble is quite smooth, great extension. Not sparkly. The Spiral Ears Ultimate 5-Way, from what I’ve heard of it, has an even slower bass (via its delayed firing mechanism) and a thicker mid/treble. This tuning is not for everyone... but if you want something different (like me) then it’s a great choice.

Legend X is a more traditionally “neutral” earphone with an elevated bass that manages to not overshadow the mids like Vega or Atlas do. I didn’t give this one a very close listen, but if you like this sound sig and have no budget limit, I’d grab a Fourte or Tzar. Listening to the Fourte is like star-gazing during a camping trip. Phenomenally black background with the exact right about of subbass to give physically to the entire frequency range, perfectly textured mids and treble that extends far beyond anything else I’ve heard. Airy and ethereal but retains realistic physical presence thanks to support from the lower frequencies. Midbass and lower mids do not have much presence, hence these are not warm whatsoever. Voices appear and disappear from all around you. Even a schmuck like me could tell stage width and height are huge. Depth was not as obvious to me but things sound like are coming from a stage in front of you. I hear people prefer the Tzar for more midbass (or more bass in general) and warmer/sweeter mids.

Hope my impressions help.

Small comment: I’d have agreed with the price sentiment until I heard the Fourte and am cursing 64 Audio for creating an IEM that so perfectly appeals to me at such a high price...
I had a chance to enjoy the Fourte while on vacation with some friends. Honestly a game changer, I thought I entered a different dimension of sound. Definitely out of my price range but I'm not planing on upgrading my set until I can afford them. I fell in love.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #21 of 28
I keep wanting to try those masons, I currently have Fourte, U18t, and A12t...I like the U18t the least actually. I’d say the Legend X were the second best.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 28
For me the Noble Kaiser Encore sounds the best, closest to a well tuned speaker system (which is where I do most of my listening and how I evaluate headphones/IEMs) the second for me is the 64 Audio A18. A bit more treble presence so probably more neutral, and the Apex tech is nice for no ear pressure build up. I've listened to 40+ IEMs > $1k in price

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #28 of 28
I used them with effect audio cooper cable and lgv30 quad dac on and still no base
The Zeus is neutral with the mids slightly forward. If u are looking for bass heavy IEM than I think u would be better off with Hybrids. Try their newer line of IEMs', think they are hybrids. But if you are after natural sound, excellent technicalities and buttery mids, the Zeus is the one for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back