Best Suitable Headphone Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms
Feb 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheStixter

New Head-Fier
Need a headphone amp for the studio that can properly push these puppies (600ohms). I mostly record hip-hop/rap so I want something that'll make the bass stand out and the vocals come thru clean. I heard tube amps are the way to go for 600ohms headphones. Suggestions? I'm ready to purchase and I want my outcome to be this:
L3000.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 12
anyone? tube amp recommendations for 600ohms? I heard otl such as the WA3 is the way to go. Could someone explain the difference between the WA3 and WA3+? Since I'm using these headphones in the studio for tracking/recording I need them to hook up to my preamp (Solid State Logic Alpha) or my interface (EMU 0404).

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 12
I have several Beyer-based h.p. (incl. dt990/600, X-Deep Darths w/dt770/600 drivers). I've found Ming Da MC 84C07 with NOS tubes (orig. Mullard EL84, Raytheon 5751/windmills and 6HU6 of your choice) makes them sing. The amp sells new for $400, but you will spend at least the same additionally for the tubes I've outlined. Other more-costly choices that also work beautifully are EAR HP4, and the s.s. BlueCircle.
Skylab sold his (Ming Da) recently - you may wish to ask him what amp he has chosen to replace his Ming Da for them.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't know too much about headphone amps...is there a way to pair any of these OTL's to my Solid State Logic Alpha Channel or my EMU0404 Interface for tracking and recording? I use these headphones in the studio booth and I want my artists to get the full experience of them...and too, I'll be using these phones to check my mix during mastering...I need them (with the tube amp) to hook up to the equipment so I can monitor. I really don't want to spend more than $500. Are there any options for this. Anybody who records in here?

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 12
The search function is your friend. This topic, like most hp/amp topic, has been discussed at length here in the past few years.

I'm also interested in the 900/600 and have found several recommendations. Skylab, who seems to be one of the resident Beyer experts, highly recommends Meier Corda Concerto amp.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

I'm also considering the Maverick Audio Amp/DAC, but I have found much info on the 990 and Maverick combo.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Mar 8, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 12
Maybe I'll get flamed for blasphemy here, but I received a pair of DT990 600 ohm cans last month and they sound great without an extra amp. I'm running these through my Pioneer receiver and can't quite imagine them sounding any better. On a lark, I plugged them into my iPod Touch and was shocked that they sounded very good even with that source (I had to jack up the iPod volume all the way though). They sound better from the iPod than my various "made for MP3" IEM's. So maybe sweating too many bullets over an amp isn't as necessary as one might think. I'm looking into buying an amp though, just to see what I might be "missing". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back