Best sub-$250 over-the-ear headphones with neutral sound signature?
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #106 of 129
I think everybody should listen to HD6xx/HD600/HD650 just to hear what true reference sounds like on a budget. It will allow you to gather what sort of sound signature you like (e.g. if you like more treble/bass you may prefer your DT770/M50 more). However you do need a decent DAC/amp solution to truly hear the potential (which def puts it over the $250 budget).
I agree 100% and i have the HD600 with good amp and dac, but I need something easier to drive and closed back to use when I travel and I'm not at home

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #108 of 129
I have tried the
I think everybody should listen to HD6xx/HD600/HD650 just to hear what true reference sounds like on a budget. It will allow you to gather what sort of sound signature you like (e.g. if you like more treble/bass you may prefer your DT770/M50 more). However you do need a decent DAC/amp solution to truly hear the potential (which def puts it over the $250 budget).

Thank you for the input, m1ndripper. There is a local store near me which carries both the HD 600 and 650. And their current prices are $400 and $500, respectively. So these are outside of my current operating budget. The Senn 58x and 6xx would be more inline with my budget. But I have heard that there can be long waits on these from Drop.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #109 of 129
I have tried the

Thank you for the input, m1ndripper. There is a local store near me which carries both the HD 600 and 650. And their current prices are $400 and $500, respectively. So these are outside of my current operating budget. The Senn 58x and 6xx would be more inline with my budget. But I have heard that there can be long waits on these from Drop.
I can tell you that the HD600 are simply THE headphones, I love them, they always perform perfectly (I love them with my tubey amp too), they are light, comfortable and vsolid built BUT as you correctly stated they belong to a different budget.

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #110 of 129
I'm sure I will find a few issues with the Beyers and AudioTechnicas as well though.

Well that didn't take long. :) I did discover a minor defect on my new 250-ohm DT-770 headphones. The 1/4" adapter is not 100% reliable. If I screw it all the way on so it's tight, I lose the stereo, and only get mono sound. So the contacts are obviously not lining up correctly with the 1/8" plug. I have figured out some work-arounds. But this is a fairly bone-headed manufacturing issue to have with a new pair of HPs. Esp. from a mfr with a reputation like Beyer.

The 1/8" plug on the older, used DT-770 is a different design than the one on the new DT-770. So it does not work with the 1/4" adapter from the new HPs. And did not come with its own adapter (since it was used). It appears to be the same though as the 1/8" plug on my old AKG K553 Pro though. So I may try the threaded 1/4" adapter from the AKG on the used DT-770, to see if it works.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #111 of 129
Well that didn't take long. :) I did discover a minor defect on my new 250-ohm DT-770 headphones. The 1/4" adapter is not 100% reliable. If I screw it all the way on so it's tight, I lose the stereo, and only get mono sound. So the contacts are obviously not lining up correctly with the 1/8" plug. I have figured out some work-arounds. But this is a fairly bone-headed manufacturing issue to have with a new pair of HPs. Esp. from a mfr with a reputation like Beyer.

The 1/8" plug on the older, used DT-770 is a different design than the one on the new DT-770. So it does not work with the 1/4" adapter from the new HPs. And did not come with its own adapter (since it was used). It appears to be the same though as the 1/8" plug on my old AKG K553 Pro though. So I may try the threaded 1/4" adapter from the AKG on the used DT-770, to see if it works.

The DT1770s also come with the crappy 3,5mm plug and screw on 1/4 inch adapter. I have some cables coming from UK with the 1/4 inch plug as intended. I'll never use the factory cables again, they'll just stay in the box. It's a shame because I like the coiled cord. But the dumb screw on adapter makes it worthless.

I'm amazed that companies that should know better ship fullsize headphones with crap plugs. These headphones are not easy to drive. Anybody using them out of a phone or laptop is going to be disappointed if he has any idea how they should sound.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #112 of 129
Sennheiser HD 58X and HD 6xx are as close to neutral as you can get at ANY price point.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #113 of 129
Well no, the 6XX is less neutral than the 600 and the 58X is much less neutral than the 600.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #114 of 129
I’ve found the ATH-R70x and AKG K701 to be more neutral and more detailed than the HD600. However, those are outside the $250 budget. The ATH-MSR7b would be a great headphone to consider and it is priced at $250 direct from Audio Technica. It is the new balanced version of the MSR7 but with a slightly more neutral sound in the treble. Bass is a bit bloated but makes for entertaining listening sessions.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #115 of 129
Well no, the 6XX is less neutral than the 600 and the 58X is much less neutral than the 600.

Objectively speaking, no. They are all very close.

As per Sonarworks official reports, 6xx is more neutral than the 600, they've gone on record to say this.

And if you use Sonarworks to neutralise your headphones to flat, the 58x sound changes the least, the 6xx slightly more, the 600 even more.

But all of them are very close to neutral.

And according to some experts like solder dude, yes, 600 is a bit more neutral than 650.

All of them are very close to each other compared to any other headphone on the planet.

And the 600 also costs close to USD 400. Whereas the 6xx and 58x are much cheaper and still fairly close to the same target.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #116 of 129
I’ve found the ATH-R70x and AKG K701 to be more neutral and more detailed than the HD600. However, those are outside the $250 budget. The ATH-MSR7b would be a great headphone to consider and it is priced at $250 direct from Audio Technica. It is the new balanced version of the MSR7 but with a slightly more neutral sound in the treble. Bass is a bit bloated but makes for entertaining listening sessions.

The AKG K701 is very far from neutral or even natural.

The ATH R70X is similar/more neutral than HD 600 but it will probably lack its natural timbre, realism and liquid midrange.

If you are looking for neutral, you don't need to go beyond the 58x. 600/6xx cost more and are better in the right setup, but roughly similar (but different) from a neutrality POV.

It is pretty objective at this point. Just try Sonarworks. The 58x sound barely changes at all compared to other headphones including the likes of 600 and 650. Which proves that this is pretty much as close to neutral as you'll get barring maybe very few exceptions.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #117 of 129
Objectively speaking, no. They are all very close.

As per Sonarworks official reports, 6xx is more neutral than the 600, they've gone on record to say this.

And if you use Sonarworks to neutralise your headphones to flat, the 58x sound changes the least, the 6xx slightly more, the 600 even more.

But all of them are very close to neutral.

And according to some experts like solder dude, yes, 600 is a bit more neutral than 650.

All of them are very close to each other compared to any other headphone on the planet.

And the 600 also costs close to USD 400. Whereas the 6xx and 58x are much cheaper and still fairly close to the same target.

Again, no.

The 650/6XX was designed specifically by Sennheiser to be a less neutral 600. The 58X is even more about emphasized bass.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #118 of 129
Again, no.

The 650/6XX was designed specifically by Sennheiser to be a less neutral 600. The 58X is even more about emphasized bass.

Rudolfs is a member of this forum. You can PM him if you want. He will be happy to answer I guess. Or you could just email Sonarworks. I am not sure you're familiar with Sonarworks :)

Beyerdynamics markets their DT 770s and DT 990s as Monitors, does that make them monitors?

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #119 of 129
Rudolfs is a member of this forum. You can PM him if you want. He will be happy to answer I guess. Or you could just email Sonarworks. I am not sure you're familiar with Sonarworks :)

Beyerdynamics markets their DT 770s and DT 990s as Monitors, does that make them monitors?

You're talking a lot of crap based on what seems like 0 experience and parroting opinions you read.

Sonarworks? Yawn. Big yawn.

As to the Beyer comment, I have no idea who you're addressing that to or what it is supposed to mean.

I have the Sennheiser 600s. And I know why the 650 was made.

If you write anything else and I don't respond, it's not because I agree with you. It's because I'm ignoring you :wink:

Sep 8, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #120 of 129
You're talking a lot of crap based on what seems like 0 experience and parroting opinions you read.

Sonarworks? Yawn. Big yawn.

As to the Beyer comment, I have no idea who you're addressing that to or what it is supposed to mean.

I have the Sennheiser 600s. And I know why the 650 was made.

If you write anything else and I don't respond, it's not because I agree with you. It's because I'm ignoring you :wink:

I own all the gear I’m talking about. And use it several hours every single day. What about you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back