CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 19, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #12,496 of 31,832
They are not treble light really, and although you won't hear harshness or much sibilance most of the time, on certain recordings they will test you.

But overall, they are really nice, slightly bassier than I'd like but that will probably be a plus for most.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #12,497 of 31,832
Guys, could anyone recommended me some mid-centric (I won't mind the Highs and the lows but the Mids are the most important for me) earphones under $20 with detachable cables? I'm thinking of going with KZ ES4 but I'm really confused.
Thanks a lot :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #12,498 of 31,832
Guys, could anyone recommended me some mid-centric (I won't mind the Highs and the lows but the Mids are the most important for me) earphones under $20 with detachable cables? I'm thinking of going with KZ ES4 but I'm really confused.

Es4 is a good choice. Full bodied mids decent soundstage. ED16 is good if you want more balanced mids with more air and bigger soundstage and less midbass. I enjoy both models.

Aug 19, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #12,500 of 31,832

I agree with Aproear, (2) great mid-centric IEMs in that price range are the Urbanfun Hifi and the BossHifi B3.

https://www.aproear.co.uk/my-top-5-and-recommendations/

Most KZs are v shaped. That’s kinda their thing.

Aug 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #12,501 of 31,832
hey need upgrade my kz ed16...becase my shanling m0 is very Transparent and natural i need inear or overear with more bass impact, more deep, listening to hindi Musical Instruments, male vocal,
E-MI CI880 will good choise?
until 70$
thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #12,502 of 31,832
hey need upgrade my kz ed16...becase my shanling m0 is very Transparent and natural i need inear or overear with more bass impact, more deep, listening to hindi Musical Instruments, male vocal,
E-MI CI880 will good choise?
until 100$
thanks!

I wasn't satisfied with the low end of ED16 either so I did a little mod you could try if that's your only problem with the tuning:
- scotch tape the front vents (the ones closest to the nozzle) then puncture the tape with a needle to prevent driver flex;
- use narrow bore tips instead of the medium bore stock starlines.

I was able to bring the (sub)bass closer to my liking this way. No complaints on the mids and treble - they are nicely tuned for me.

Good luck.

Edit: fixed link.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #12,503 of 31,832
I wasn't satisfied with the low end of ED16 either so I did a little mod you could try if that's your only problem with the tuning:
- scotch tape the front vents (the ones closest to the nozzle) then puncture the tape with a needle to prevent driver flex;
- use narrow bore tips instead of the medium bore stock starlines.

I was able to bring the (sub)bass closer to my liking this way. No complaints on the mids and treble - they are nicely tuned for me.

Good luck.

Edit: fixed link.

thanks, i didnt understead 100% my english is low..i already buy the tips, mayby there is have youtube ? :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #12,504 of 31,832
I just received both my MusicMaker ToneKing TS1s and my Geek Wold G9billions on Friday. I have about 42 hours running the TS1s and they sounded pretty bad right out of the box, but they're settling in. I'll wait until they're done, before moving to the Geek Wolds.

They compliment my KZ ZSTs and Symphonized NGR 3.0s, for 'less than a case of beer' IEMs.

Chris

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #12,505 of 31,832
Those are not sub-100USD for sure, but I thought that people in this thread may be curious about FH5 either way :)

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/08/fiio-fh5-beauty-in-detail.html

FiiO-FH5-FH-5-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Photo17.jpg

FiiO-FH5-FH-5-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Photo20.jpg

FiiO-FH5-FH-5-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Photo25.jpg

FiiO-FH5-FH-5-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Photo15.jpg

FiiO-FH5-FH-5-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Photo46.jpg

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #12,506 of 31,832
dhruvmeena96 said:
Bro, try TinAudio t1

Nah. By the looks of AB's review and its FR graph, it has really recessed highs. Was initially gonna try it out though, but thankfully AB's review saved me.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #12,507 of 31,832
UPDATE: The Tin Audio T2 — contrary to my previous complaints about it — actually sounds really damn good out of the LG G4 that I recently bought. The DAC on the LG G4 seems to output more gentle and soft highs than my other sources (as well as a more neutral sound in general), thus keeping T2's horrid treble peaks well under control. Also sub-bass rumble was a lot more present when listening on the G4 then on my previous Android phone or even on my Xduoo X2 DAP.

So if anyone is planning to listen to the Tin Audio T2, make sure your source is as close to neutral as possible.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #12,508 of 31,832
@mbwilson111 thanks for recommending the Artiste DC1!

Against my better judgement, I decided to purchase it from Amazon despite me being 4 days from payday.

I just couldn't resist getting something with a ceramic driver for £22.99.

They sound different to everything I own, very detailed, and balanced. With a mid bass bump that doesn't bleed into the mids.

I'm most impressed by the upper mids / highs which are very detailed without being harsh.

Imaging and separation are strong points too.

These are very early impressions mind, but I haven't been as impressed by an earphone on initial listening for a long time.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #12,510 of 31,832
Hi all,

I've been looking for something that sounds more like my old love, the Xiaomi Piston v3. These guys:
xiaomi-mi-pistons-v3-in-ear-headphones-1-700x700.jpg

They are not available anymore unfortunately. I'm not great at describing how they sound, but one of you might know.

I've tried a few suggestions from this thread (one from a brand which cannot be named anymore, a KZ ATE, a E-MI CI880 Hybrid) but didn't like them as much.

Budget would be ~$50

Grateful for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back