CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #5,506 of 31,833
Here some tidbits from the "Best of 2017" listings...

Headflux Awards 2017 - Headflux.jpg
Jahresende .jpg
B9’s Best of 2017 – The Contraptionist-1.jpg

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #5,508 of 31,833
I had my neighbour over for blind testing. Earlier this year, he had borrowed my Koss Porta Pro and my Sennheiser PX 100 Mk II.

He made me once buy the Fostex TE02 as a cheap, neutrally tuned earphone.
He did not know what he was testing. I gave him the Lker i8, Tinaudio T2, and KZ KS5 v1. He used his own tips.

He really liked the T2, but not the other two. In my opinion, the T2 play leagues above the Lker i8 (weird upper bass, unbalanced sound, tiny soundstage, fragile cables) and the ZS5 are merely good looking toys (boomy bass, tinny mids a horrible failure, needs four drivers to produce a plastic sound). I claim the T2 are the only real earphones that play real music and the other two are well-marketed experiments and a waste of my money. Simply put, the T2 don't do anything wrong and lots of things right.

Interesting to note that Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge, in his ZS5 v1 review, establishes a sonic similarity to the 1More E1001 Triple Driver, which flatters the ZS5.

The Brainwavz B100, like the T2, are also real grown-up earphones with a fluid, coherent, engaging sound. Their published reviews are quite realistic and an interesting read. Considering that you get the B100 substantially cheaper and rather quickly through local web sellers, why bother ordering overpriced/overhyped models from China and wait for up to three months.

Once again, the Tinaudio T2 and Brainwavz B100 are excellent earphones and outstanding value. They show up in quite a few best of 2017 lists (including the one by B9 Scrambler) for good reasons. Two real winners. And they play galaxies above any KZ model or Urbanfun Hifi, Memt X5, Boarseman, or, errr.. Rock Zircon. All of the latter merely represent good value for little money.

UPDATE I compared the Urbanfun Hifi and B100 last night. Initially, the differences are not obvious and the Urbanfun are quite...as the name implies...fun...with a decent imaging. Not bad at all. The difference lies in the detail. The Urbanfun have the classic v-shape with a boomy bass like all the other 30 or so $10-20 Chifi I own (for example, the Takstar Ingping H60 sound very similar) whereas the B100 are much more more coherent and fluid with nothing really overdone. And over a longer listening period, these small differences become prominent. The B100 are much more fun in the long run.

YEAH! Portapro WIN WIN WIN!!! Hehe!
PC310723.JPG

Weren't you suggestion the K403??? Quite not elogious what your friend heard from them....ah, subjectivity of hearing!

Urbanfun being boomy...first time I heard this description about them.

I compare ultra fastly ZS5 V1 and V2....and V2 was having bacground hissing wich V1 do not have with track I was listen....treble is very hardcore with V2. I'm confuse, did you confirm by checking inside nozzle if you really have V1? I confirm too that KZ silver plated cable improve sound and clarity, bass became more controlled as well ( was obligate to use stock cable to compare the 2....and difference isnt placebo!!!!!!!!!)

EDIT: What the heck. Cable change drastically everything...and all my impressions came with this cable, this is why when I listen V1 with stock cable I was doubting my hearding, like...how can have I accepted this type of muffled boomy bass....? This-is-not-suppose-to-sound-crap. ZS5 focking RULES!!!!!!!!!!
PC310724.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #5,509 of 31,833
Here some tidbits from the "Best of 2017" listings...

MACAW GT600S aren't bad at all, thats for sure, construction is supremely good. Changeable nozzle is nice too (I prefer the neutral one, other is treble and bass). Must admit this is perhaps a soundsignature you will like cause this is a very neutral IEM, just a hint of push in mid bass so kick are punchy but overall its not boomy and remind me of urbanfun in term of signature (DD+BA as well). Need more listening cause Z5000 and T2 got too much of my time last 5 days...
PC310725.JPG PC310726.JPG PC310727.JPG

Its nice to see SOMIC V4 still is a winner....2 years ago I was praising them hardcore and kind of being the HAPPY guinea pig that try them hehe still have them today=GOOD SIGN!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #5,510 of 31,833
YEAH! Portapro WIN WIN WIN!!! Hehe!

Weren't you suggestion the K403???
Urbanfun being boomy...first time I heard this description about them.

I'm confuse, did you confirm by checking inside nozzle if you really have V1?

I confirm too that KZ silver plated cable improve sound and clarity,
The AKG K-403 are not available anymore. What I said was that they have lots of oomph and a small soundstage...good for the Clash.

Bass of the Urbanfun is not as contained as it could be. This is relative to the T2 and B100.

As to v1.: I was a first adopter last February before the v2 were released.

Silver cable vs. stock cable on the ZS5: no audible difference found. Do you think silver-coated copper produces a tighter bass and more clarity than copper?

Question: are your dap and amp connected simply via the 3.5 mm jack? If so, do you turn up the output to max in your dap?

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #5,511 of 31,833
The AKG K-403 are not available anymore. What I said was that they have lots of oomph and a small soundstage...good for the Clash.

Bass of the Urbanfun is not as contained as it could be. This is relative to the T2 and B100.

As to v1.: I was a first adopter last February before the v2 were released.

Silver cable vs. stock cable on the ZS5: no audible difference found. Do you think silver-coated copper produces a tighter bass and more clarity than copper?

Question: are your dap and amp connected simply via the 3.5 mm jack? If so, do you turn up the output to max in your dap?

About cable, I feel sometime silver plated really give extra current that permit drivers to sound better if not brighter, but it do not always occur, wich make me a semi-beleiver, as for burn in, it do not always change sound. I listen back to two cable for ZS5, another time its not night and day, and it was more apparent with a complex electronic track that mix bass and sub bass as well as a layer of texture with other sound, stock cable struggle more with the complexity of bass and make it sound less interesting, more mixed in a clumsy way (but its kind of subtle). So yes I think silver coated can give better clarity and control. Did not test lot of different sort of cable, I have a 8cores & 14cores, the 14 give more current and brightness to the IEM, its a hit or miss game. This is this track I use for revealing test:

Must admit ZS5 is really a good pairing with warmish widish Xduoo D3!

No, it will only happen if the DAP have no Line out....and it could sound very strange to use 2 amping, especially if its not a direct output like Xduoo X2. Another time, what I like about Line out is purity of signal and what it open for new soundsignature depending of amp used, this is a cheap Walnut V2S but it give like 3x more power than Fiio Q1 mk2 in term of amping. I plan to swap Opamp for a muse or burson v5i or other one....just begin with this (well, not already, wait for Opamp to be shipped). The Line out of D3 have volume control, like the Ibasso DX90....I like that too. Use the V2S for headphones only, cause its not ultra clear sounding and tame treble (usefull for bright headphone).

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #5,512 of 31,833
The B150 is ONLY $55.60 on Brainwavz page:
https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/b150-balanced-armature-in-ear-earphone
Use the promo code "HEADFI" at check out and it drops to only: $50.04!! :)

If only the B150 had a detachable cable I would probably jump on it...
I don't know if these will really be any better then my Tin Audio T2???

Is there someone here that has tried the T2 next to the B150 that can talk me into these? :)

**{B100 is only $35.64 after "headfi" promo code}**

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #5,513 of 31,833
About cable, I feel sometime silver plated really give extra current that permit drivers to sound better if not brighter, but it do not always occur, wich make me a semi-beleiver, as for burn in, it do not always change sound. I listen back to two cable for ZS5, another time its not night and day, and it was more apparent with a complex electronic track that mix bass and sub bass as well as a layer of texture with other sound, stock cable struggle more with the complexity of bass and make it sound less interesting, more mixed in a clumsy way (but its kind of subtle). So yes I think silver coated can give better clarity and control.

I'm not a big believer in cables, but I have experienced differences in cables which I believe boiled down to impedance differences:
  • I used an AUX extension cable for watching moves in the past, and it had a horrible effect on the sound. I discovered the impedance was ridiculously high, but I never figured out if it was the gauge of the cable, or if it was copper clad aluminum, or what. I just threw it away and got a different cable (with no degradation in sound).
  • I've recabled IEMs before (that had cable failure) with "new" DIY IEM cables bought from Aliexpress (ie probably removed from defective IEMs). In a few cases, there was a noticeable change in sound for the worse. Some of the cables I used looked like KZ IEM cables (and never had a problem), but the ones in question looked kinda like the whitish ones from MEMT X5 (but they were of unknown construction and origin). The impedance was again very high. Changing out the cable a 2nd time with a KZ IEM cable solved the issue.
  • The stock cable that comes with the KZ ZS3 and ZS5 is very meh in my opinion. I don't remember if it's the mic or non-mic version, but a number of members have measured it as having higher impedance than the KZ "upgrade" cables (you'd have to search, but pretty sure it's something like 3+ohms). I don't know if it's the silver plating or not, but on the ZS5 v1 I did hear a very small difference with the stock cable vs the upgrade cable.

But my take is that if the stock cable is of 'high quality' to begin with (ie good conductors, good connectors, adequate gauge, lowest impedance possible, etc), then upgrading the cable isn't going to make any difference in SOUND (despite making a difference in microphonics, looks, reliability, better balance due to microphone deletion, etc).

I know cables are a polarizing topic, but I'm just providing a few cases where they HAVE made a difference in my experience.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #5,514 of 31,833
Once again, the Tinaudio T2 and Brainwavz B100 are excellent earphones and outstanding value.
Hi Otto Motor, Would you say it's worth purchasing the B100 if I already own (and LOVE) the Tin Audio T2?
The B100 is a great deal right now, but I got a really good deal on the T2 ($36 free ship)..
Are there many differences between the T2 and B100?

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #5,515 of 31,833

Is there someone here that has tried the T2 next to the B150 that can talk me into these? :)

I have both and would choose the T2 over the B150, namely because I would take the B100 over the B150. B150 is good, but it lacks extension at either end, something the B100 and T2 do not suffer from ( as much, specifically in the sub-bass regions).

On a side note, Happy New Year to those that celebrate. Here's to an awesome 2018! :beerchug:

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #5,516 of 31,833
I have both and would choose the T2 over the B150, namely because I would take the B100 over the B150. B150 is good, but it lacks extension at either end, something the B100 and T2 do not suffer from ( as much, specifically in the sub-bass regions).

On a side note, Happy New Year to those that celebrate. Here's to an awesome 2018! :beerchug:

Awesome! Thanks so much for replying to this.. :)

So then, would you say the B100 is above the T2 or vice versa?

And a Happy New Year to you as well! :)

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #5,517 of 31,833

Interesting that i can get the B100 for less on Amazon.ca but the B150 is considerably more on Amazon.ca. Now is the 150 worth that much more than the 100?

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #5,519 of 31,833
Hi Otto Motor, Would you say it's worth purchasing the B100 if I already own (and LOVE) the Tin Audio T2?
The B100 is a great deal right now, but I got a really good deal on the T2 ($36 free ship)..
Are there many differences between the T2 and B100?

Can you give us a link to the $36 T2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back