CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 29, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #25,576 of 31,832
I think you said that the C631 is your favorite of the three, but it wasn't very clear. It is my favorite TIMMKOO, Emi, Joyplus, Estron-made one by far.

The good news for those of us in the US is that they are now available again on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088K4B3W3 for $20, just a tad over what I got my original set for. This is still one of my favorite, IEMs after the @Slater mod of removing the black filter behind the silver screen.

If you really want to improve the sound of the C631, pop off that gold mesh cover on the back of the C631.

53219BD0-A9BD-464B-B4DC-88BFA71CC70C.jpeg

It significantly improves the sound and opens up the soundstage. It’s like removing cotton balls from your ears at a concert.

It’s just held on with peel and stick adhesive.

If you gently lift it off with a fine sewing needle, diabetic lancet, sharp safety pin, or sharp brooch or hat pin, you can save it on a piece of waxed baking paper and can put it back anytime.

@harry501501 did it, and was amazed at the results.

They should have never put it on. The grille is strictly decorative, but the holes are too small and it interferes with the sound tuning of the rear vent.

Having built and tuned a lot of IEMs, I can assure you that the vent tuning was done without that rear grille, and the grille was added after the fact as a useless decoration. So in reality, in stock form with the rear grille, you’re not really hearing what the IEM is supposed to sound like. You have to remove that stupid grille to hear what it is supposed to sound like.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #25,577 of 31,832
If you really want to improve the sound of the C631, pop off that gold mesh cover on the back of the C631.

It significantly improves the sound and opens up the soundstage. It’s like removing cotton balls from your ears at a concert.

If you gently lift it off with a fine sewing needle, diabetic lancet, sharp safety pin, or sharp brooch or hat pin, you can save it on a piece of waxed baking paper and can put it back anytime.

They should have never put it on. The grille is strictly decorative, but the holes are too small and it interferes with the sound tuning of the rear vent.

Having built and tuned a lot of IEMs, I can assure you that the vent tuning was done without that rear grille, and the grille was added after the fact as a useless decoration. So in reality, in stock form with the rear grille, you’re not really hearing what the IEM is supposed to sound like. You have to remove that stupid grille to hear what it is supposed to sound like.
You are absolutely right. I forgot about that mod to the c631. It is what makes it sound so sweet.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #25,578 of 31,832
You are absolutely right. I forgot about that mod to the c631. It is what makes it sound so sweet.

I had bought a backup set from Amazon when I was first told about that link you posted. And when I got them and listened, I had forgotten how meh they sounded stock. Once I popped off the rear grille I was like ohhhhh yeahhhh

I really want to get the C631 shell apart and do an mmcx mod. I already destroyed 1 pair trying to get the shell apart, so I’m very hesitant to try again due to their rarity. The way they were assembled is clear that they weren’t intended to ever come apart. I am fine with them having a fixed cable forever if need be.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #25,579 of 31,832

Yeh, I've been using them every day still. Couldn't believe the difference in taking that grill off makes. Changes I found where throughout the frequencies. One thing I was most happy about was the dryness in the upper mids which effected female vocals was eradicated and bass definitely sounded more realistic especially sub-bass.

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #25,580 of 31,832
I think you said that the C631 is your favorite of the three, but it wasn't very clear. It is my favorite TIMMKOO, Emi, Joyplus, Estron-made one by far.

The good news for those of us in the US is that they are now available again on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088K4B3W3 for $20, just a tad over what I got my original set for. This is still one of my favorite IEMs after the @Slater mod of removing the black filter behind the silver screen.

Yes, this price is amazing for the sound and build you get. They came to me in the UK very quickly from Amazon US. I wrongly thought there were only three TIMKKOO earphones, but thanks to Slater I'm now really looking forward to hearing their 4th model (and flagship) the "EST" which he kindly found for me at a great price :)

Not sure which brand should be credited for these earphones going by their different names, but they sure nailed it with these budget offerings.

Aug 29, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #25,581 of 31,832
Not sure which brand should be credited for these earphones going by their different names, but they sure nailed it with these budget offerings.

The parent company is Estron, who designs and manufactures their own drivers (including BA), their own assembly, and OEMs for other well known companies. You just don’t hear about them a lot because they don’t market any earphones with the Estron name.

Their own products are sold under the Timmkoo brand name, but it’s honestly a poor choice of names IMO. They would make a lot more money with better marketing and availability, but it’s possible that they have contractual non compete agreements in place (who knows).

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #25,582 of 31,832
Hello boys, I know that all of you are kind of keen to the wire buds, but I was wondering if you’ve got any experience or recommandations for a pair of wireless ones. I hate the wire when the cold comes and I feel like no wire at all is what I need. Thanks!

I use the TFZ B.V2 for excercise as a wireless gear, okay sound, battery life not the best, rarely has BT disconnections, but otherwise quite good BT range and no frills. Not as good sound wise as wired gear, but it is more for the convenience.

One alternative that I prefer instead of TWS, is to use BT adapters so that u can attach a detachable IEM that u like and use it with the BT adapters on the go. So it preserves the sound signature of your familiar IEMs, and u can reuse your IEM even if BT tech gets obsolete or battery life of the BT gear dies. Stuff like (from cheapest to more expensive): TRN BT20, TRN BT20S, TRN BT20S Pro, iBasso CF01. Some come with charging case, some like CF01 even support wireless charging, and sound quality is quite good other than perhaps some roll off of either extremes.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #25,583 of 31,832
I use the TFZ B.V2 for excercise as a wireless gear, okay sound, battery life not the best, rarely has BT disconnections, but otherwise quite good BT range and no frills. Not as good sound wise as wired gear, but it is more for the convenience.

One alternative that I prefer instead of TWS, is to use BT adapters so that u can attach a detachable IEM that u like and use it with the BT adapters on the go. So it preserves the sound signature of your familiar IEMs, and u can reuse your IEM even if BT tech gets obsolete or battery life of the BT gear dies. Stuff like (from cheapest to more expensive): TRN BT20, TRN BT20S, TRN BT20S Pro, iBasso CF01. Some come with charging case, some like CF01 even support wireless charging, and sound quality is quite good other than perhaps some roll off of either extremes.
Didn’t know about the BT adapters until know, gonna check ‘em out in detail and decide on someting. Deeply thankful!!

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #25,585 of 31,832
BLON BL-03 is not flat or neutral. It is harmanish with a midbass boost, so u might need to look elsewhere. Haven't tried the CCA C12, but from graphs and reviews, it appears to be V shaped.

You might wanna consider BQEYZ KC2 and Tin HIFI T2. The latest Tin HIFI T2 Plus (not to be confused with Tin T2 Pro), has great reviews, haven't tried it, but it seems to have a bass boost over the Tin T2.
C12 are V shaped with good bass and treble (must have). Tin T2 is balanced with very good treble. Next week i should recive my Tin T2 plus. I hope to be like Tin T2 with more bass. Sorry for my english. I hope I made myself clear

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #25,586 of 31,832
Looking for a neutral/flat sound signature iem (maybe slight mid and sub bass boost) under $50. Ideally I'd like to stay around $30. My head is spinning with the amount of chifi iems on the market. I remember the Tin T2 being the reference. I'm considering it along with the Blon BL03 and the CCA C12. Anything I'm missing anything? I know most, if not all, of the KZs are out.

My use case is mostly podcasts with the rest being classic rock and jazz.

Thank you.

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #25,587 of 31,832
I had bought a backup set from Amazon when I was first told about that link you posted. And when I got them and listened, I had forgotten how meh they sounded stock. Once I popped off the rear grille I was like ohhhhh yeahhhh

I really want to get the C631 shell apart and do an mmcx mod. I already destroyed 1 pair trying to get the shell apart, so I’m very hesitant to try again due to their rarity. The way they were assembled is clear that they weren’t intended to ever come apart. I am fine with them having a fixed cable forever if need be.
An MMCX mod to the C631 would be sweet. That way one can use a balanced cable for it. But it does look like it is built like a tank, so I understand the challenge.

Mine has the back grille removed as well, but didn't you also remove the black "filter" in the nozzle for optimal sound?

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #25,588 of 31,832
An MMCX mod to the C631 would be sweet. That way one can use a balanced cable for it. But it does look like it is built like a tank, so I understand the challenge.

Mine has the back grille removed as well, but didn't you also remove the black "filter" in the nozzle for optimal sound?

Yea, the golden back grille is the key to unlocking the power of the C631. Its what turns it from a rough stone into a shining diamond :)

798E2D0E-4FA5-4D6C-8A03-1EFCB628FAD0.jpeg

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #25,589 of 31,832

Instead of trying to take the shell apart at the original seam, do you think it would be feasible to cut the back off, right behind the cable entry hole - and then reattach either the original back, or a replacement that's appropriately vented?

Aug 30, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #25,590 of 31,832
Instead of trying to take the shell apart at the original seam, do you think it would be feasible to cut the back off, right behind the cable entry hole - and then reattach either the original back, or a replacement that's appropriately vented?

That’s actually not a bad idea at all!

I probably have a small section of aluminum or carbon fiber tubing that can be used to slide over the back of the shell to put it all back together after it’s cut :)

In other words, cut the shell where the red dotted line is. Mmcx mod, and slide/glue a section of thin tubing where the yellow is indicated.

310BA701-5376-479E-A23E-D35D61CC82A0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back