CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #24,768 of 31,833
Hi, since i got a pm3 with minimal soundstage i really want to try a IEM/earbud in the opposite direction.
So i am looking after is:

Huge soundstage/ stereoeffect.
Not awfully trebly, rather less than more.

What are recommended?
Budget from 0 to 100usd. Prefer to shop at Aliexpress or Alibaba since shipping to Norway is often absurdly high from amazon/ebay etc.. Can also buy used

Thanks

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #24,769 of 31,833
Hi, since i got a pm3 with minimal soundstage i really want to try a IEM/earbud in the opposite direction.

What are recommended?
Budget from 0 to 100usd. Prefer to shop at Aliexpress or Alibaba since shipping to Norway is often absurdly high from amazon/ebay etc.. Can also buy used

Thanks
Forgot to say that it will be paired with LG V40 so 50 ohm or higher would be nice since it trigger hi mode

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #24,770 of 31,833

What are recommended?

Thanks
Moondrop Starfield has probably the most impressive soundstage in that price range that I've heard.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #24,771 of 31,833

What are recommended?

Thanks
I'd be considering the Koss KSC75 before any IEM/earbud myself. I mean at $15 or so can't hurt to at least try it right?

Edit: I think it would also trigger Quad DAC mode since it's rated 60Ω, on the other side... I think this is a US made... Earspeaker? So I guess it would end up with an expensive ship cost, so there's that issue, on top of the fact that because of its earspeaker like setup there's virtually no isolation whatsoever.

But as far as soundstage goes. Well I only tried a predecessor and it had the absolute largest soundstage I ever heard short of an actual surround speaker setup.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #24,772 of 31,833
Hello guys. I'm new here. I've been reading the forums, topics, review over and over.. but I cannot make my mind about what to choose. I'm in this hobby for many years but recently I've decided to go a little serious so, I purchased dx160 which I read from plenty reviews that the way it plays is quite close what I want. I started this hobby with bass-head IEMs and in time I slightly move forward for more detail, imaging and sound-stage. I've been quite interested in Chi-Fi items for more than a year and I really like that I can buy such good performers with reasonable prices.

Okay, I don't want to take your more time with the introduction :D but I should admit the conversations going here are quite nice and informative and that's the place that I believe that I will find the correct answer. With my new DAP, I've been testing the IEM's and I realized that ZSX plays detailed but not with the correct timbre and wide soundstage. Somehow, Xiaomi's Pro HD(2dd + 1ba) plays really really good with high gain. This guy demands power to show its talents and I see it does a really good job comparing to it's price. However, not as detailed as ZSX. I have FX700 which is the king of smooth bass but it lacks the details that I want and it puts instruments quite close even though it has an open ventilation.

As I already jumped slightly to the upper 50$ range with Chi-Fi IEMs. From the all reviews I've gone through, I couldn't find a Chi-Fi IEM that I really want. So, I've started too look for one which is around 100$. I see Moondrop Starfield is a good option as it seems like the cheaper sibling of KXXS. And then I found BQEYZ Spring 1 but I'm not sure about it's soundstage.

I'm looking for an IEM which has
  • really nice extending bass -not those impactful bass-head like ,
  • slightly forward mids ,
  • really detailed treble with really good soundstage -width and depth,
  • With correct timbre, good imaging and seperation.
I would understand if there's not an exact option for this price but I believe I can find sth close. I'm obsessed with KXXS but it's way above my budget. I don't wanna jump that far and I wanna rise slightly in time. I heard a lot about Blon 03 and I just purchased it out of curiosity today but I know that won't be my main IEM that I will be listening very often.

Could you please give me some ideas what to go for? I would really appreciate that. :)

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #24,773 of 31,833
Hello guys. I'm new here. I've been reading the forums, topics, review over and over.. but I cannot make my mind about what to choose. I'm in this hobby for many years but recently I've decided to go a little serious so, I purchased dx160 which I read from plenty reviews that the way it plays is quite close what I want. I started this hobby with bass-head IEMs and in time I slightly move forward for more detail, imaging and sound-stage. I've been quite interested in Chi-Fi items for more than a year and I really like that I can buy such good performers with reasonable prices.

Okay, I don't want to take your more time with the introduction :D but I should admit the conversations going here are quite nice and informative and that's the place that I believe that I will find the correct answer. With my new DAP, I've been testing the IEM's and I realized that ZSX plays detailed but not with the correct timbre and wide soundstage. Somehow, Xiaomi's Pro HD(2dd + 1ba) plays really really good with high gain. This guy demands power to show its talents and I see it does a really good job comparing to it's price. However, not as detailed as ZSX. I have FX700 which is the king of smooth bass but it lacks the details that I want and it puts instruments quite close even though it has an open ventilation.

As I already jumped slightly to the upper 50$ range with Chi-Fi IEMs. From the all reviews I've gone through, I couldn't find a Chi-Fi IEM that I really want. So, I've started too look for one which is around 100$. I see Moondrop Starfield is a good option as it seems like the cheaper sibling of KXXS. And then I found BQEYZ Spring 1 but I'm not sure about it's soundstage.

I would understand if there's not an exact option for this price but I believe I can find sth close. I'm obsessed with KXXS but it's way above my budget. I don't wanna jump that far and I wanna rise slightly in time. I heard a lot about Blon 03 and I just purchased it out of curiosity today but I know that won't be my main IEM that I will be listening very often.

Could you please give me some ideas what to go for? I would really appreciate that. :)

- Moondrop Starfield or ThieAudio Legacy 3 get my vote.

- If you want a lot of upper mids/treble detail, consider the Tin T4.

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #24,774 of 31,833

I don't have the Starfield, but considering how often I see the Starfield being called something among the lines of a worse accessorized, worse presented but cheaper KXXS, Starfield looks like a no brainer to me if you loved the KXXS.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #24,776 of 31,833

If you don't mind a brighter signature, Tin T4 would be a good choice. It fulfils most of your requirements. TRN BA5 and the new CVJ CSN (1DD+5BA) also have similar profiles and may suit you.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #24,777 of 31,833
I have an SPC cable on my T4, and I wish I could justify spending the money on a pure silver one, lol. Still trying to find an ideal cable for the FDX1. I'm thinking about getting a quality SPC/OCC mix cable like the Satin Audio Theia. Right now, I just have a cheap copper one on them but it works with the 9038s feeding them.
I use the stock cable on my T4 but have fitted Spiral Dots and feel this makes more difference than switching cables ( I have tried quite a few). Other tips might suit if your ear configuration is different from mine.

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #24,778 of 31,833
Thank you guys for your quick response. I will keep in mind. :)

I was expecting good discounts on AE because recently they are running a new campaign but it looks like I won't get what I want. So, I will wait a little longer.

Meanwhile, I came across with a local seller who's selling used Fearless Audio s4 for a really good price. I couldn't find many reviews about it but didn't see any negative comment plus BGGAR seems to like it very much. I have a prejudice that ba cannot produce the smooth bass of a dynamic driver but it seems like those guys did a really job by using two ba's for bass frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #24,779 of 31,833
Moondrop Starfield has probably the most impressive soundstage in that price range that I've heard.
Thanks!Gonna check them out. What is a good price for them? Its at 109usd on Ali now. And they arent very bright? I can check if i can find a FR curve for it

Jun 17, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #24,780 of 31,833
I don't have the Starfield, but considering how often I see the Starfield being called something among the lines of a worse accessorized, worse presented but cheaper KXXS, Starfield looks like a no brainer to me if you loved the KXXS.
Im new to chi-fi, but what means with KXXS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back