CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 29, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #15,766 of 31,833
Well, the problem is rather ppl letting their brains&ears "washed" by marketing and hyping.
IF the IEM/HP has great match with source gear AND person has found his sound signature with matching details, speed, dynamics etc. for HIS OWN PERSONAL SUBJECTIVE HEARING AND TASTE, then ppl should STOP getting new and new and new and better and better and better...
I`m still using my desk setup (which I have modded also to my needs and hearing) and do not wish for any better, honestly.
Now I`m reaching to that point with IEMs. When I get there, bye bye for longer time (will become observer occasionally).

Get wide bore silicones that fit You - foams make IT01 sound worse.

Man, you sound like somebody that wanna stop heroin or alcool lol (joking no offense)

But I understand this rational approach and respect it even if i'm far from representing that but I think im neurotic or something, just 5% of all my audio is weekly used.

Its true that people should not be naive and instead at least contemplate where the hype train goes, sometime it crash quite fast (ZS10 is an example IMO) You know, i even regret sometime have big mouth about Zhiyin Z5000 cause its my subjective taste and 50$ is expensive. The real problem is not being able to test audio stuff before buying. But I consider that sub 20$ iem are rarely a great investment, more like an entertaining buy, there exception again.

Audiophile quest is an addictive utopia in my case, and perception of sound a fascinating hearing projection, if somebody just listen to one type of music its absurd to buy 10 pairs of iem with different soundsignature or amping need, but if like me you have a collection of about 1500 jazz albums, 2000 classical albums (including solo, duo, trio quartet etc), 50 signersongwriter, 2000 electronic of all kinds as well of recording quality (ambient, experimental, idm, d&b etc), 500 of all type of rock, 500 of world music, 500 of indie & pop & rap....man, no IEM even Hifiman RE-2000 can deal perfectly with all this diversity.

But yeah, having more than 50 pairs of IEM like me its just non sens....in fact, I should sell at least 30 of them....but its so cheap worthy that it should be in lots. argh.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #15,767 of 31,833
Very interesting... but what a weird ass shape! Back to my ****

Kind of afraid about fit too...as well it do not have BA like the ****.

Searching about ceramic piezoelectric I finally find an interesting explanative article(patent article) that make me finally understand better great resolution potential.

"

Abstract

A piezoelectric ceramic dual-frequency earphone structure includes an earphone housing, a dynamic transducer, a piezoelectric ceramic transducer and a circuit board. The piezoelectric ceramic transducer is installed in the receiving region. The piezoelectric ceramic transducer is connected to the dynamic transducer via a support unit and a positioning unit. The circuit board is assembled in the receiving region and connected to acoustic signal cables. The acoustic signal cables are connected to a dynamic voice coil of the dynamic transducer and the piezoelectric ceramic transducer. When electric signals are applied to a ceramic membrane of the piezoelectric ceramic transducer, a metal sheet of the piezoelectric ceramic transducer is vibrated to generate high frequency sound, and the high frequency sound are then mixed with the sound from the dynamic transducer.''

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9503805B2/en

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #15,768 of 31,833
For anyone interested, I finally updated my KZ guide and added the following models: ZS10, ZSN, ZSA, ZS4, ES4, ED15, ED16, AS06, AS10, and BA10. This brings us to 41 in total.

*Updates were made in Parts 2-5.*

Part 1 - Old, discontinued models
Part 2 - ED series + ES4
Part 3 - ATx, HDx, and Zx series
Part 4 - Armature only models
Part 5 - Top five lists

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #15,769 of 31,833
Man, you sound like somebody that wanna stop heroin or alcool lol (joking no offense)

But I understand this rational approach and respect it even if i'm far from representing that but I think im neurotic or something, just 5% of all my audio is weekly used.

Its true that people should not be naive and instead at least contemplate where the hype train goes, sometime it crash quite fast (ZS10 is an example IMO) You know, i even regret sometime have big mouth about Zhiyin Z5000 cause its my subjective taste and 50$ is expensive. The real problem is not being able to test audio stuff before buying. But I consider that sub 20$ iem are rarely a great investment, more like an entertaining buy, there exception again.

Audiophile quest is an addictive utopia in my case, and perception of sound a fascinating hearing projection, if somebody just listen to one type of music its absurd to buy 10 pairs of iem with different soundsignature or amping need, but if like me you have a collection of about 1500 jazz albums, 2000 classical albums (including solo, duo, trio quartet etc), 50 signersongwriter, 2000 electronic of all kinds as well of recording quality (ambient, experimental, idm, d&b etc), 500 of all type of rock, 500 of world music, 500 of indie & pop & rap....man, no IEM even Hifiman RE-2000 can deal perfectly with all this diversity.

But yeah, having more than 50 pairs of IEM like me its just non sens....in fact, I should sell at least 30 of them....but its so cheap worthy that it should be in lots. argh.
Well, that`s the difference - I listen a lot of music and since I have found my personal "perfect" signature, am enjoying it and not thinking much about "if this IEM sounds better or not".
I listen also very different genres, so, IEM I`m using has to be revealing and "multi-functional" when it comes to genres.
I prefer it being unforgiving - if recording is bad, it`s bad and let it sound so, I don`t need forgiving IEM for this and for that genre/recording. It`s again my personal choice but most of my favourite music is anyway 16/44 FLAC with great masterings.
Anyway, You can`t expect one IEM to do miracles with EVERY genre and bad recordings - it is utopia.
But You can come pretty close to it, like I said in my previous post :wink:

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #15,770 of 31,833
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #15,771 of 31,833
Auglamour F300 just arrived for me. Some OOTB impressions:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chi...hones-and-iems.820747/page-1447#post-14748139

TLDR; I like it, maybe more than the C10, but not quite sure unless I do a direct compare.

How is the mids on those? And now, as I just hold my breath about C10 like I do wiht ZS10 (should just have forget about it)....im afraid C10 do not sound natural and something, just a little something, tell me music do not sound this way in real life and will never do....but again, lately I go to a baroque music concert in a church and (lol) i was like: i wish i can listen to this with earphones or headphones because it sound so so so far and lack texture and i can't hear the harpsichord sparkle and the lute is not audible and....my 2 years old kid talk LOUD and everybody look at us!!!!!!!! We must go out now! (wich we do all ashame)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #15,772 of 31,833
How is the mids on those? And now, as I just hold my breath about C10 like I do wiht ZS10 (should just have forget about it)....im afraid C10 do not sound natural and something, just a little something, tell me music do not sound this way in real life and will never do....but again, lately I go to a baroque music concert in a church and (lol) i was like: i wish i can listen to this with earphones or headphones because it sound so so so far and lack texture and i can't hear the harpsichord sparkle and the lute is not audible and....my 2 years old kid talk LOUD and everybody look at us!!!!!!!! We must go out now! (wich we do all ashame)
I've only been listening to it for just an hour or two, and I can't do a direct comparison yet with the C10, so I'm only going to discuss it on it's own merits.

Sound:
Bass is punchy, and mid bass seems slightly recessed. If the track doesn't have bass, it won't boost it so some people might find these to be thin.
Vocals (male and female) sound great and well placed, although I think it's slightly recessed. Timber sounds good to me, quite natural sounding.
Treble is definitely elevated as it sounds quite airy, although I think some people might find these to be slightly peaky. I'm probably not sensitive to the peaks here as I found the KZ ZSN to have a weird spike which other people don't seem to be sensitive with.
Instrument separation is pretty darn good as well, listening to Wagakki Band, and each of the 7 instruments are distinct. Soundstage/holographic is pretty good imo, as the Virtual Barbershop is pretty fun on it. However, I don't consider myself great at judging distances based on sound, as I need more experience on that, so I won't comment how wide it is, although I do feel that this has depth, width AND height as well.

Nozzle:
The nozzle is short and thick. It's really thick. Thicker than the C10, as I can't fit my usual tips on it, like the Sony EPX11, and Final E. With some struggle, the Spinfits CP 100 and CP 145 fit. The KZ Whirlwind, which are the widest that I have, fit these with a little struggle. I went with the large tips that came with it, which look to be as fat as the KZ Whirlwind large.

Other Notes:
Case is sweet, it's really nice looking. It's quite light and quite comfortable in the ear for me. This cable comes with the best preform hooks I've ever tried, as they don't interfere at all with my glasses. I might try my 16 core copper cable when I get home, but man honestly, I'm happy already about this cable.

It's a nice iem, I was worried that I jumped the gun when I bought it, but everything about it so far is pretty good for me.

PS. I ordered Gray, but I was sent Black and I'm too quite happy with these , if mildly disappointed I didn't get the color I wanted. The only consolation I have is that at least they didn't send me Pikachu Yellow by accident.

@assassin10000
Some comparison pictures with ZSN:
IMG_20190130_134928.jpg IMG_20190130_135120.jpg IMG_20190130_135057.jpg IMG_20190130_135044.jpg IMG_20190130_135002.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #15,773 of 31,833
Just ordered the Nicehck N3 with a bluetooth cable and 8 core cable all for $50 thanks to a deal Jim had on the Nicehck Twitter page. Also Jim replaced my TRN H1 that came wired out of phase. Figured I'd just have to fix it myself since showing headphones are out of phase is hard on a video. Jim at Nicehck is seriously a great guy to buy from.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #15,774 of 31,833
Just ordered the Nicehck N3 with a bluetooth cable and 8 core cable all for $50 thanks to a deal Jim had on the Nicehck Twitter page. Also Jim replaced my TRN H1 that came wired out of phase. Figured I'd just have to fix it myself since showing headphones are out of phase is hard on a video. Jim at Nicehck is seriously a great guy to buy from.
Can you please give us more info? Tried to translate the tweet but still have no idea what should I do to get the &50 price
I see N3 for $58 + $5 to get that 8 core.
For $50 it sound like awesome deal.

Edit: never mind I got it now. That was probably limited sale few days ago.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #15,775 of 31,833
@assassin10000
Some comparison pictures with ZSN:

Awesome. Size wise looks good.

Let us know how it is after you have some time on them to burn the drivers in. I'm wondering if the slightly recessed vocals and lack of bass is due to that. Could also be the grille's on the nozzle.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #15,776 of 31,833
Awesome. Size wise looks good.

Let us know how it is after you have some time on them to burn the drivers in. I'm wondering if the slightly recessed vocals and lack of bass is due to that. Could also be the grille's on the nozzle.
I'll check to see if it changes by tomorrow. :) I'm kinda iffy about saying it's lacking bass, as aside from the midbass, it doesn't seem to be really recessed as it's there. I think the closest comparison I have for it is the one I see in the Moondrop thread with regards to Kanas vs Kanas Pro. It's closer to the Kanas Pro than it is to the Kanas imo.

I just took a look at the graphs made by @Wiljen, and the graph looks like how it sounds to me, matching it quite nicely. Thanks to @Wiljen for the graphs, and looking forward to your detailed review for the F300!
Graphs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...essions-pg2507.586909/page-2759#post-14732268

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #15,777 of 31,833
If you have good eyes, are somewhat handy, and can do basic soldering, you could easily replace the mmcx connector. The replacement connectors are on Aliexpress.

great idea, but too risky/too much work for me. If anyone is interested in them i'll mail em for a very small fee once i got the replacement i'm looking for.

Another question regarding fit: My se215 has a 'wide angled nozzle' (more than 90deg between nozzle and shell), and for optimal fit i have to angle the shell outwards from the ear which makes it stick out a little. Are there any models with a 'short angle' / less than 90 deg?

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #15,778 of 31,833
great idea, but too risky/too much work for me. If anyone is interested in them i'll mail em for a very small fee once i got the replacement i'm looking for.

Another question regarding fit: My se215 has a 'wide angled nozzle' (more than 90deg between nozzle and shell), and for optimal fit i have to angle the shell outwards from the ear which makes it stick out a little. Are there any models with a 'short angle' / less than 90 deg?

If you mean how the SE215 nozzle points forward, you could look into Westone IEM's if you want something with a similar shape.

My UM Pro 10's have less angle and are actually way smaller and more comfortable than the SE215 too. I had a similar problem as you, the SE215 was just long enough I also had to rotate the 'back' of it upwards to clear my anti-helix, which made it stick out even more. The UM Pro 10 definitely tucks into the concha of my ear way better than the SE215 ever did.

I don't know of anything similar in shape that actually makes a nozzle 90 degrees or less.

20181221_170757.jpg

You may or may not want to wait a couple weeks as Westone is releasing a new W-series line mid feb. They are selling the current in stock w-series at a discount to clear them out.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #15,779 of 31,833
For anyone interested, I finally updated my KZ guide and added the following models: ZS10, ZSN, ZSA, ZS4, ES4, ED15, ED16, AS06, AS10, and BA10. This brings us to 41 in total.

*Updates were made in Parts 2-5.*

Part 1 - Old, discontinued models
Part 2 - ED series + ES4
Part 3 - ATx, HDx, and Zx series
Part 4 - Armature only models
Part 5 - Top five lists

This is great info. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #15,780 of 31,833
@assassin10000
great picture and yes thats exactly what i mean.
The westones you suggested are a little bit too pricy for my taste though (discounted w10 at $140, um pro 10 at $150).
I'd love to stick below 50$, might stretch it to 100ish if the model ticks all my boxes and offers exceptional value-for-money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back