CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 17, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #13,681 of 31,832
Guys, can anybody recommend a bass-head iem, at around 20$ to 30$? I currently own the KZ ZS3, and I am looking for something with deeper bass. I was looking at the KZ ZSR, and somebody recommended the AS10. Are there other options?

AS10? ZSR would be a way better option than those. ZS4, Alpha & Delta D3, Memt X5, TRN V80, would a bunch of other solid options, imo.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #13,682 of 31,832
Read about a mod @Otto Motor did on another HIFI Walker placing the tape below at the nozzles to make it less bright.Thanks Otto. So i tried it along with foam tips and indeed i think the sound became more balanced. Furthemore i think they are very source dependant.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0741BSZR3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are a few bluetooth ones left which include their basic cable here. The bluetooth is not aptx but the chip is rather good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTN7J5V/ref=emc_b_5_t
Don't even need foam.
I use a black bore tip and have zero issues with volume or treble, Beautifully balanced and natural sound.

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #13,683 of 31,832
Hi guys,

I want to buy a bluetooth cable for my Tin Audio T2.
Which one do you think it's the best? The TRN BT10, BT3 or the one from KZ? Any other options?

Also, is there anything new with a signature similar to the T2? Under the 50/60$ range?

Avoid KZ's like plague. I have both of them, they are crap.
I was recommended TRN's ones but for the moment I'm still using my fiio btr1

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #13,684 of 31,832
AS10? ZSR would be a way better option than those. ZS4, Alpha & Delta D3, Memt X5, TRN V80, would a bunch of other solid options, imo.
Yeah, that was my thought too, I just wanted some other opinions too. Between the ZS4, ZSR and the V80, which one you think has the beefier and deeper bass? I have read that V80 is relatively balanced sounding, and ZS4 is basically a better ZS3, with more detail amd more controlled bass ( but not better). My problem is that I don't neccecarilly want more detail. I mostly want beefier bass. I want a pair for when I am going to gym, or just want to hear Bass heavy music. Now, if a pair with better bass introduce more clarity and detail, that's welcomed too.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #13,685 of 31,832
Avoid KZ's like plague. I have both of them, they are ****e.
I was recommended TRN's ones but for the moment I'm still using my fiio btr1

I have to agree with this. The KZ one is terrible. The TRN one is better, but is noisy.

There are other mmcx ones on Aliexpress, but I don’t k ow anything about them.

I would recommend a Bluetooth adapter, like the Xiaomi. It can be used with any headphone, IEM, earbud, etc. Great sound, super small, built well, good battery life, and usually around $12-$15.

People also swear by the EarStudio ES100, as it has aptX and more audiophile features. But it’s $100.

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #13,687 of 31,832
Guys, can anybody recommend a bass-head iem, at around 20$ to 30$? I currently own the KZ ZS3, and I am looking for something with deeper bass. I was looking at the KZ ZSR, and somebody recommended the AS10. Are there other options?

HTB1bdxKPFXXXXXcaXXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

A good option.

At roughly $17+/- on AliExpress (search through multiple sellers) do yourself a favor and pick up two sets. Very entertaining once I swapped eartips.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/memt-x5-in-ear-earphone.22272/

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #13,688 of 31,832

A good option.

At roughly $17+/- on AliExpress (search through multiple sellers) do yourself a favor and pick up two sets. Very entertaining once I swapped eartips.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/memt-x5-in-ear-earphone.22272/

Those have been brought up before, and although I have read many good comments about the bass on these, I mostly want a pair for intense activities, like running, or working out at the gym. And almost anything non over the ear style iem will inevitably fall off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #13,689 of 31,832
Those have been brought up before, and although I have read many good comments about the bass on these, I mostly want a pair for intense activities, like running, or working out at the gym. And almost anything non over the ear style iem will inevitably fall off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Glad to help.

71Pbe+5hMHL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

91IEi5nrWzL._AC_SL1500_-1.jpg

*** EDIT ***

Be aware that not all silicone earhooks are the same. These hold the cables in place better than most.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Remov...e+Earhooks&dpPl=1&dpID=418Ntw5XMcL&ref=plSrch

Beefy bass
Non-fatiguing treble
Small and lightweight

.......just be sure to swap to a wide-bore eartip to clean up the overall signature.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #13,690 of 31,832
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #13,691 of 31,832
I have to agree with this. The KZ one is terrible. The TRN one is better, but is noisy.

There are other mmcx ones on Aliexpress, but I don’t k ow anything about them.

I would recommend a Bluetooth adapter, like the Xiaomi. It can be used with any headphone, IEM, earbud, etc. Great sound, super small, built well, good battery life, and usually around $12-$15.

People also swear by the EarStudio ES100, as it has aptX and more audiophile features. But it’s $100.

I just recieved the xiaomi bluetooth adapter and it works really well. It's definitely feels a bit under powered but it seems to work well for me so far.

I'd also look into the meizu bluetooth adapter. It looks like the xiaomi one but with better specs for a similiar price. It just got released.

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #13,692 of 31,832
I received my T2 today, after a long long (LONG) wait. And they are exactly what I expected. They do something right with their tonal balance. It didn't change my world, but it sure is gonna make my portable listening a hell of a lot better!

One thing I noticed is that they are the first IEM I've tried that REALLY improves with amplification. I hooked it up to my phone on my way home after receiving them and they sounded a bit thin and dry. Then I got home and plugged them into the Q1. Boom, completely different thing. Most other IEMs I've tried don't improve at all with external DACs/amps and those that do just sound a bit cleaner. The T2 goes from bass shy and thin to just right, while soundstage expands a bit and the details come forward nicer. Overall, I'm happy, but I'd prefer if I could utilize them fully off of my phone. Oh well.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #13,693 of 31,832
I just recieved the xiaomi bluetooth adapter and it works really well. It's definitely feels a bit under powered but it seems to work well for me so far.

I'd also look into the meizu bluetooth adapter. It looks like the xiaomi one but with better specs for a similiar price. It just got released.

The cable-based Bluetooth adapters have even less power. That’s one reason why more power-hungry IEMs like ZS5 v1 and ZS3 sounds so poor when used with the Bluetooth cable.

So the external adapters are better in that regard. But obviously not all adapters are equal.

And then you have to balance output power with battery life.

It’s all about trade offs. There is no free lunch.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #13,694 of 31,832
The cable-based Bluetooth adapters have even less power. That’s one reason why more power-hungry IEMs like ZS5 v1 and ZS3 sounds so poor when used with the Bluetooth cable.

So the external adapters are better in that regard. But obviously not all adapters are equal.

And then you have to balance output power with battery life.

It’s all about trade offs. There is no free lunch.

The seller-that-should-not-be-named offers a very powerful Bluetooth cable in the $30-40 range. Drives my P1 with headroom to spare. You do end up with some hiss on lower impedance IEMs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back