CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #13,607 of 31,832
Ok, so I should avoid the B400s?

Well, I'm just 1 opinion out of 7 billion people. Maybe you'll like them. As I said, a lot of people do.

My take:

1. The full retail ($170) is way too much. Brainwavz runs sales all the time though. I think half that price is much more realistic. So just wait for the next sale (I assume Black Friday) and see what you can pick them up for.
2. See if you can demo them 1st. If not, at least make sure you can return them without any restocking fee. This is just good all around advice, no matter if we're talking about the B400 or not.
3. If you have that kind of budget ($170-$200), you can do much better. For example, the CA Comet, which is only $20 more ($199), walks all over the B400.

As joker pointed out, it really depends on what kind of sound you like or don't like, what kind of music you listen to, how well they would fit your ears, etc.

If you are treble sensitive, for example, the B400 could be a good option. Or if you like a smoother sound.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #13,608 of 31,832
There are alot of reviews on them here on headfi, that would help give you more of an idea as to how they sound and perform. I personally can give a rec for them, if you're looking for a smooth sounding, mid forward tuning, with a more intimate soundstage. Everyone has different preferences and such, so we could help you out more of you tell us what all you enjoy about sound and what kinds of music you listen too.

I like sound quality, don't really care about the specifics like warmth etc. as I don't really know them. But I'm coming from Brainwavz M2 and I did like them, but at times they felt like bad quality-wise. So yeah, I just want a good experience and just want my music to sound better "quality".

@Slater, I do have a budget of 100-200$. So far I'm deciding between the Brainwavz B400 and iBasso IT01. Campfire Comet and Final E4000 are also looking like nice choices though. What do you think?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #13,609 of 31,832
I like sound quality, don't really care about the specifics like warmth etc. as I don't really know them. But I'm coming from Brainwavz M2 and I did like them, but at times they felt like bad quality-wise. So yeah, I just want a good experience and just want my music to sound better "quality".

@Slater, I do have a budget of 100-200$. So far I'm deciding between the Brainwavz B400 and iBasso IT01. Campfire Comet and Final E4000 are also looking like nice choices though. What do you think?

IT01 is awesome. So is the CA Comet. Both are great choices IMO.

I've never heard the Final E4000.

Honestly, if you aren't 100% sure what kind of sound signature you like, do you want to be trying to figure that out by buying random $200 IEMs?

Because the IT01, B400, and Comet all have different signatures. And seeing how you are in Pakistan, I assume shipping ones you don't like back to the seller might be expensive or unrealistic.

Also, I assume by "sound quality", I am guessing you are referring to clarity and resolution, like being able to hear every little micro detail in the music?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #13,610 of 31,832
I'm pretty confident you'll like them. I've stuck some ball shaped foams on mine. Whilst they're bright, I don't find them harsh. I find the highs very refined and detailed but could see how they may annoy the treble sensitive. There's not much sibilance despite their bright signature either.

They have a similar signature to the Estron c630s from memory. V shaped with good bass. The mids are also good quality, very detailed just a little recessed although not massively.

Oh, nice. I absolutely love the c630, but mine started malfunctioning pretty soon after I got it, and I didn't necessarily like the fit. So the idea of getting something with a similar signature, but with sturdier looking shells, an over-ear design, and an mmcx cable, ON SALE...

I just ordered them as well :)

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #13,611 of 31,832
IT01 is awesome. So is the CA Comet. Both are great choices IMO.

I've never heard the Final E4000.

Honestly, if you aren't 100% sure what kind of sound signature you like, do you want to be trying to figure that out by buying random $200 IEMs?

Because the IT01, B400, and Comet all have different signatures. And seeing how you are in Pakistan, I assume shipping ones you don't like back to the seller might be expensive or unrealistic.

Also, I assume by "sound quality", I am guessing you are referring to clarity and resolution, like being able to hear every little micro detail in the music?

I just want to buy headphones and feel like I really got something amazing. I want something I can keep and treasure for a long time. I don't want to feel like I missed out not buying other headphones that are good as well, or are in the same price range or so, instead. Just want to have something great, that stands by itself.

So do you say that Campfire Comet is a really good deal? What do you like about it?
Should I go for that instead of anything else?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #13,612 of 31,832
I just want to buy headphones and feel like I really got something amazing. I want something I can keep and treasure for a long time. I don't want to feel like I missed out not buying other headphones that are good as well, or are in the same price range or so, instead. Just want to have something great, that stands by itself.

So do you say that Campfire Comet is a really good deal? What do you like about it?
Should I go for that instead of anything else?

I owned a Comet for a while. I may end up doing a full review of it again in the near future, but from memory - I think the Comet is a great all-arounder headphone. It is a safe headphone choice for anyone who wants to step up from the sub-$100 IEM market into something better. I consider it good all-around but a master of nothing. It is a little tame. It won't blow your mind with sub-bass performance or give you every little detail -- it's still detailed but there are more detail monsters out there in this price range -- but it gives a very warm, smooth, mid-forward sound that works very well for most popular genres and is easy to listen to for a long time. I wore it on several business trips non-stop on my flights without issues. The build quality is great, and they are small. You may find it a weird fit though since they are heavy yet really small and stick out a little. Campfire is a really good company too.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #13,613 of 31,832
Well, I'm just 1 opinion out of 7 billion people... ...For example, the CA Comet, which is only $20 more ($199), walks all over the B400...

Yup, and personal preferences aside I'm still of the opinion nothing comes close to touching the B400's sound quality at it's price, especially the Comet, lol.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #13,614 of 31,832
I owned a Comet for a while. I may end up doing a full review of it again in the near future, but from memory - I think the Comet is a great all-arounder headphone. It is a safe headphone choice for anyone who wants to step up from the sub-$100 IEM market into something better. I consider it good all-around but a master of nothing. It is a little tame. It won't blow your mind with sub-bass performance or give you every little detail -- it's still detailed but there are more detail monsters out there in this price range -- but it gives a very warm, smooth, mid-forward sound that works very well for most popular genres and is easy to listen to for a long time. I wore it on several business trips non-stop on my flights without issues. The build quality is great, and they are small. You may find it a weird fit though since they are heavy yet really small and stick out a little. Campfire is a really good company too.

Ok thanks. Are these things that it "lacks", as you say it does, are they things I need in my headphones if I'm spending 200$? Or is the Comet still a very good deal?
I mean, will I at a later point realize I should've gone for a different one?

@B9Scrambler, wait, so you've heard the Comet as well, and you're sure the B400 is better?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #13,615 of 31,832

Well said.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #13,616 of 31,832
Yup, and personal preferences aside I'm still of the opinion nothing comes close to touching the B400's sound quality at it's price, especially the Comet, lol.

What do you like best about it? What sticks out?

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #13,617 of 31,832
Ok thanks. Are these things that it "lacks", as you say it does, are they things I need in my headphones if I'm spending 200$? Or is the Comet still a very good deal?

@B9Scrambler, wait, so you've heard the Comet as well, and you're sure the B400 is better?

Sub-bass is harder for a IEM to do right in my opinion. It's something you'll notice more on your home theater system or a large driver over the ear headphone (especially a planar magnetic) so I don't think that's something you'll miss. It does bass well. Just not the low-end rumble that would benefit certain movies -- Music wouldn't be a big issue. Detail and airy sound signature - some people love it, some people don't mind if it's missing. Usually if you have high detail and lots of air, you may experience some harshness in the treble region. To tame it, you limit that treble but you lose slight detail and air. It's trade-offs, which every headphone maker has to make and no matter the price - that's why it's important to know what sound signature you want.

I recommend reading some of the reviews on it on head-fi and other sites and reading through the Head-Fi thread on the Comet.

Ken from Campfire is very active on the campfire threads here on headfi if you have questions.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #13,618 of 31,832
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #13,619 of 31,832

I think the B400 is a lot better, when it comes to sound. Comet laughs it out of the room in terms of build.

Oct 12, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #13,620 of 31,832

Users who are viewing this thread

Back