CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,731 of 31,831
I believe the "Chi-Fi phenomena" will, if not already, totally flip the world of listening. Every month new hidden gems are discovered. More and more new comers enter the market competition. **** offers you a XBA 6in1 for less than 40$ (Sony's costs 6-7times) and KZ even offers a quadruple hybrid for less than 30$. This is simply absurd. Something like Zs5 would cost at least 20-30 times more if manufactured by a western company. I can now understand the excitement of Vidal o Nymphomaniac, which started this fantastic thread!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,732 of 31,831
Slightly off topic, as a new member I have to say I love the way you do reviews on your website, everything is on point.
Now, there is a thing that is really confusing and almost surreal. You've mentioned that VSonic VC1000 doesn't even compete with many times cheaper ChiFi headphones. But at the same time, Joker puts VC1000 sound at 9.2 and IE800 at 9.3....
Taking into account your scores, does this mean that KZ ZS5 is effectively better than IE800?? You might not have had much experience with IE800, but don't you think that it is a very interesting phenomena almost? Do you think that personal preference plays a much more significant role than we would like or is the market really ready to make once 1000$ flagship (still a flagship) totally obsolete?

Thanks for the feedback.

The VC1000 is a single BA, it maybe an anomaly.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2,733 of 31,831
I believe the "Chi-Fi phenomena" will, if not already, totally flip the world of listening. Every month new hidden gems are discovered. More and more new comers enter the market competition. **** offers you a XBA 6in1 for less than 40$ (Sony's costs 6-7times) and KZ even offers a quadruple hybrid for less than 30$. This is simply absurd. Something like Zs5 would cost at least 20-30 times more if manufactured by a western company. I can now understand the excitement of Vidal o Nymphomaniac, which started this fantastic thread!
I agree that it is amazing what 50$ gets you today if you take some time to educate yourself about this morphing industry, but, more drivers at these low prices potentially produces some problems. For example, I've had Xiaomi Pro HD for a few months. I strongly disliked 2DD+1BA, as one of the DDs would constantly distort in the mid range at mid-high listening volumes. It was very distracting sometimes, especially with more complex orchestral music. It was a small thing that ruined the experience overall, but objectively, they were A LOT better than my se215, and came dangerously close to what ie800 does (keep in mind that I only had a few hours of listening time with these), lacking in some areas, but not by much. So, a few small pushes in sound quality gets you quite up there, and the question is: Are **** 6in1 or KZ ZS5 it?

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #2,734 of 31,831
Hi
Sure, no problem!

I do not personally own the ZS5 (yet). With that said, it has had nothing but good reviews, and has been touted as the best sounding IEM KZ has produced to date. I love the KZ ZS3 and ZST, and the sound of the ZS5 has been compared to be right in between the 2. So I'm sure I would love the ZS5.

Again, I mention that Vidal scored the KZ ZS5 with an almost perfect score - higher than anything he has ever tested to date. And he has tested almost 130 different IEMs from many different manufacturers. He is very honest and knowledgeable, and his reviews are trustworthy.

I don't believe that he has ever heard the K3 Pro though, so you will have to find another member that can make a direct comparison between the ZS5 and the K3 Pro. I THINK some of the members that have heard both are @1clearhead, @SpiderNhan, @loomisjohnson, @B9Scrambler, and a few others. I could be wrong on a few members though, because I am going by memory.

The best thing to do is to ask on the Magaosi K3 thread, to see who owns both and can compare the K3 Pro and ZS5. The K3 thread is here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/magaosi-k3-pro-impressions-and-discussions-thread.839011/

I'm sorry, I do not have any experience with Taobao. Up until recently, US customers couldn't even purchase products from Taobao.

Be aware that there are counterfeit Magaosi K3 Pro being produced. It is strongly recommended that you buy from authorized Magaosi dealers or better yet directly from Magaosi themselves. The 1 year warranty is only honored from Magaosi. So if you buy from an unauthorized seller, there will be no warranty (and no guarantee that you will even get a genuine product).

Here is the link with information on purchasing directly from Magaosi. They DO have a Taobao store. So if it was me, I would buy it from there: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...phones-and-iems.820747/page-587#post-13474912

Finally, you may want to wait until the Magaosi K3 HD is released. It is supposed to have better sound than the K3 Pro, and some Head Fi members have already heard the K3 HD and agree that it is superior to the K3 Pro.

Hi, thanks for replying again! I would try to post on the thread and ask then, see what they think. It's not that I don't trust Vidal's review, but just want to get more opinions first, though I am quite interested in the ZS5 when Audiobudget.com announce a pre-order discount. Maybe would get one anyhow considering how cheap it is compared to the others.

I've done some research on the Chinese threads about the K3 HD, and found that the K3 HD might not be the one I want in terms of sound signature, as it was said that it has more sibilance than the Pro even though it is much more detailed.

Anyway, thanks for the very informative suggestions!

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2,735 of 31,831
The second question is related to this thread. Most of the discussed cheap budget earphones are sub 100 $. Some of them sound absolutely amazing. My question is: do **** xba 6in1, Kz zs5, Urbanfun, Seahf awk009 (just to name some) really equal a above 100-200 $ earphone? If so, what do a 300-500 $ earphone has more to offer you (build quality aside)? Only some more tiny details ?
Personally, I begin my search of perfect sound by going up in price, buy mostly used stuff cause i'm kind of poor, I have in the past the Shure SE420, the Ultimate ear TripleFi and Westone ES2 (600$) and other 100-150$ em, I sincerely confirm that YES sub 100$ chinese earphone can sound better but NO sub 20$ can compare to 200$ em...all of this is subjective and I can't say I find the real ultimate perfection, just that I can collect different sound signature so I will have always good sound for the very big variety of music I listen. What is very exciting is that chinese market give the possibility to have dual, tripe, quad etc drivers em at a price that just do not exist with big brand, THAT is a kind of revolution for not rich people and ZS5 look like it will create even more competition in budget kind-of-high-end earphones.

About big brand, Grado being an exception, most of them are fabricate in chinese factory since a lot of time and when Sennheiser begin this with even is 200$ headphones It is when I get curious about chinese prejudice.

All in all, it'S all about how much your ears how perverse or epicurean....and the real place that music take in your life. Somebody that just listen to rap (i listen some) do not need a collection of 10 earphones IMO.

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,736 of 31,831
I have a pair of questions for the most expert members here (Vidal, Nymphomaniac, B9scrambler and others. .).
The first question is related to the reason for that we are here in this forum: we look for the perfect earphone, but what should be the features of this "perfect earphone" if the listening is so personal? I mean someone loves bassy boomy earphones, others like clear mids and little bass, again who dislike strong treble. Etc etc. So how do you expert guys give the score to a pair of earphones? Isn't the score biased by your personal signature?
Let's be audiophil-osophical a little....hum, firstly, when I judge a iem I want to know if it distort in anyway (from material vibration or frequencies response), with headphone it occur more often IMO, but if it does for iem must of time it get a big ZERO from me, after, i'm into how well balanced feel the sound in general, if it's cohesive (not balanced), even for bassy, bright or analytical, we can ear it, if it feel strange it can be an audacious soundsignature (love or hate) and if it feel Very strange it's not good must of time, it's bad job from audioengineer or plain crap, after this I want to be immerse, sometime we call this the WOW effet, wow, where into the musical moment ALOT, soundstage have alot to do with this and how it is articulate, there the (real) frequencie range too that will objectively be important for the sound to achieve ''perfection''....

so, as a pseudo expert, Ill say that all review in some way are biased, more from the fact that nobody have exactly the same hearing sensitivity, myself i'm not that treble sensitive and listen quite loud the music (good to test distortion!). EVERYBODY here are subjective, frequencies graphic aren't perhaps, but there ears are.

But, to answer your question, what every audiophile crave is to hear musicality the better they personally can, so, I think quality like clarity, no background hiss, excellent instrument separation, wide soundstage, and great articulation and cohesivness of sound is a universal pleasure, it can be customise for every type of taste (bassy, midcentric, analytical etc).

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #2,737 of 31,831
but NO sub 20$ can compare to 200$ em.

I kind of disagree with this statement. You can't assume that an earphone will be crap/decent just because of it's price.

Take the Seahf AWK009 as an example of what's becoming available in sub $20 bracket (it was sub $10 in US) - it's got great clarity with a big soundstage performs well above it's price.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #2,738 of 31,831
Hi guys. I recently bought Awei ES-Q9 from a local chinese shop for 9 $ although on aliexpress it is only3 $. However They really surprised me: very balanced sound. fantastic punchy bass that does not affect mids, highs lack brightness but are ok for me. Love this kind of signature, I prefer these over the Rock zircon and Baseus el01. They are wood earphone with a nice design. the cable is quite microphonic though. Days ago I wrote that WRZ X6 were good iem for the price (<5 $) but Vidal's opinion was that they are crappy, now compared to these ES-Q9 I can say Vidal was totally right. Nonetheless he is an expert and I am a newbie. I saw Vidal rated two other Awei models pretty bad on his site, score less than 6. I am curious if these Es-Q9 can satisfy him and get at least a score around 8. Anyone else opinion?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #2,739 of 31,831
videl, what are the best under 3 usd headphones you know, I need disposable but decent sounding headphones that me and my family carry out. My only rule is that they are absolutely fatigue free with warm vocals and high and decent build to last. other then that the bigger bass and clarity the better.

I already bought a couple of your highly rated fonge t01 but some of my family members don't like the over ears design and bulky build. do you recommend any other. Thanks in advance.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #2,740 of 31,831
I kind of disagree with this statement. You can't assume that an earphone will be crap/decent just because of it's price.

Take the Seahf AWK009 as an example of what's becoming available in sub $20 bracket (it was sub $10 in US) - it's got great clarity with a big soundstage performs well above it's price.

Say now ZS5 is value for $ for a $30 IEM. What's the next IEM for the next price band, if you may share?

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,741 of 31,831
How come that there is very little info about **** 6in1 and KZ ZS5, which are probably the best newer headphones below 40$ and some of the best value for money in the business? We still don't have a real comparison and reviews are sparse to put it lightly :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,742 of 31,831
How come that there is very little info about **** 6in1 and KZ ZS5, which are probably the best newer headphones below 40$ and some of the best value for money in the business? We still don't have a real comparison and reviews are sparse to put it lightly :frowning2:

ZS5 just got into the hands of most people. Takes time to get a handle on something for a full review. I'm sure you'll be seeing a ton about them very soon. 6in1? Early impressions were not good so that probably halted coverage here.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,744 of 31,831
videl, what are the best under 3 usd headphones you know, I need disposable but decent sounding headphones that me and my family carry out. My only rule is that they are absolutely fatigue free with warm vocals and high and decent build to last. other then that the bigger bass and clarity the better.

I already bought a couple of your highly rated fonge t01 but some of my family members don't like the over ears design and bulky build. do you recommend any other. Thanks in advance.

What was your verdict on the Fonge? Bearing in mind that it's so cheap.

It's asking a lot for $3, but I would have said Moreblue DM8 (not reviewed yet though). Not sure about the fit as they're a bit unusual it can be worn cable. Other than that you'd be looking at old school KZ stuff like the EDSE or a jump up in price.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,745 of 31,831

Yeah, I was thinking more about construction and quality of inner material in general, there so much iem even in 100-200$ pricerange that some of them surely sound bad and can be beat by let's say Somic V4 or Seahf AWK009 or Urbanfun for sure, I'm just sometime afraid we fall in megalomaniacal attempt about sub-20$ chi-fi....all of this is so subjective too, and relative to what you ear in the past and find mesmerizing. For exemple, I never find the enormous soundstage that my custom Westone ES2 have, but for the rest (details, clarity and instrument separation) they can be beat easily by sub-100$ iem chifi.

I don't think the KZ ZS5 can have a construction that will last 10 years but I don't receive them yet so will tell once I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back