CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #20,236 of 31,831
Have you tried the Sony MH755 tips? They're sooo good on Blons. I couldn't feel the hype until I tried the blon with them. Also, adding a foam ring inside of the tip turning them into hybrid also improves the isolation drastically to me, I'd give it a try. I keep recommending this tutorial because it was game-changer isolation-wise to me, haha.

Yeah I did try a few different silicone tips including the MH755 tip but I found only longer nozzle tips like the spinfits helped for my ears. I haven't tried your foam ring mod, but that's a great suggestion!

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #20,237 of 31,831
Fully agree with your comparison of T800 vs BLON, @Slater . T800 is my endgame all BA set too. If the BLON had better fit, isolation and details it would be my endgame DD too.

I do think the BLON has better timbre than the all BA T800, but other areas like soundstage, isolation, clarity, details, instrument separation are won by the T800.
Even among the other single DD IEMs I have like Semkarch SKC CNT1, TFZ No. 3 and Toneking ninetails, the BLON loses to them in clarity and details, so it would lose to most other multi BA sets, (of which the T800 is the best I have in details and clarity).

Yeah but it's comparing oranges and apples as one has 8 BA and the other a single DD. Having said that, their sonic signature are opposite though. T800 in stock form is very bright and in your face with details. Whereas BLON is very musical and of a more laid back warmer presentation.

yes, the Blon is one of those earphones that makes you sit and just enjoy the music, not thinking about little details.. well at least that what i feel. even if it's not very revealing, i don't miss much when I'm using it.
currently the Blon and the MT100 do that for me. I'm using Symbio peels on both of them, it evens out the treble and smoothen it a bit, but add extra room/space details, adding a bit of more depth to the soundstage

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #20,238 of 31,831
yes, the Blon is one of those earphones that makes you sit and just enjoy the music, not thinking about little details.. well at least that what i feel. even if it's not very revealing, i don't miss much when I'm using it.
currently the Blon and the MT100 do that for me. I'm using Symbio peels on both of them, it evens out the treble and smoothen it a bit, but add extra room/space details, adding a bit of more depth to the soundstage

How would u compare your BLON BL-03 with Moondrop Kanas and MT100?

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #20,239 of 31,831
How would u compare your BLON BL-03 with Moondrop Kanas and MT100?

Sq-wise, I'd say the Blon can compete with both of them. i like the Blon for rock, pop, anything with acoustic drums and bass guitars, the Kanas for anything with synth drums and bass. The MT100 is a special case for me. it brings nostalgic memories of listening to mixing studio monitors in a very well tuned room. i don't think it's for everyone, but those who do enjoy it would really love it

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #20,240 of 31,831
@Slater How do the Blons compare to the T800? Is the T800 "worth" the extra? It's probably as much as I would want to spend on a pair of headphones these days so would need to be absolute endgame.

I agree totally about the Blons liking the extra power of a decent amp. I find that with all the dynamics I own. The Tin T2 in particular goes from being "meh" to "wow" with decent amplification.
Apart from T800 not belonging to his thread of course, and me never having tried them, I wonder how much ‘better’ they really are than BLONS and how much VALUE they deliver.
Your question has been asked before and @Hawaiibadboy answered with a resounding ‘No’ as it happens.

I wonder also about all BA’s. I’ve never felt they’ve delivered fun or timbre, let alone a true representation of the intended music. They certainly never get near a live representation. Andromeda disappointed me and for me Blon is better. Yup. There ya go, I went and said it. It’s a a valued judgement, subjective and all...but my view.

If someone says “oh for all BA they really hit like a DD’ I think why not get a DD then? It’s a statement that really reveals the flaw in a BA isn’t it.

I think we’re nearing the end of the BA era. Too expensive. At least to achieve something nearing quality. No value. Other tech is emerging surely.

We gotta remember why we’re on this sub $100 thread - to find new amazing IEMs that deliver real value. And to push the manufacturers to keep prices down.
There really isn’t any need going much above $300 for an iem in my opinion. I’ve tried it and I’m sure many here have and it’s
a waste of money. Especially when you know the pull of this hobby - that you’ll only end up buying something else.
I’ve noticed a few people have on their signatory have, ‘Current endgame: xxx’
Says it all :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #20,241 of 31,831
Yeah, I know trying to beat the law of diminishing returns is an expensive folly. It's just nice to have an idea of where to throw the money next now I am running out of budget gear to buy.

I've only had budget BA kit but I totally agree. The best BA stuff I own (the CCA C12 and the KBear F1) is only "better than I was expecting" and not "great". Timbre can be shocking on a bad BA unit. I think that's a big part of my curiosity - whether BA could ever satisfy me at £30, £300 or £3000. I'm still not sure. That said, BAs do sound better than DDs if a poor/low powered source is used.

Oct 12, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #20,242 of 31,831
Apart from T800 not belonging to his thread of course, and me never having tried them, I wonder how much ‘better’ they really are than BLONS and how much VALUE they deliver.
Your question has been asked before and @Hawaiibadboy answered with a resounding ‘No’ as it happens.

I wonder also about all BA’s. I’ve never felt they’ve delivered fun or timbre, let alone a true representation of the intended music. They certainly never get near a live representation. Andromeda disappointed me and for me Blon is better. Yup. There ya go, I went and said it. It’s a a valued judgement, subjective and all...but my view.

If someone says “oh for all BA they really hit like a DD’ I think why not get a DD then? It’s a statement that really reveals the flaw in a BA isn’t it.

I think we’re nearing the end of the BA era. Too expensive. At least to achieve something nearing quality. No value. Other tech is emerging surely.

We gotta remember why we’re on this sub $100 thread - to find new amazing IEMs that deliver real value. And to push the manufacturers to keep prices down.
There really isn’t any need going much above $300 for an iem in my opinion. I’ve tried it and I’m sure many here have and it’s
a waste of money. Especially when you know the pull of this hobby - that you’ll only end up buying something else.

Well music and gear is subjective, but i do find uses for a pure multi BA setup eg stage or studio monitoring or critical listening, where u really need as much details and clarity as possible. I actually use my T800 for stage monitoring and there's no way a single DD will give the detail required for this.

I'm sure some folks here also like BAs more than DDs in their music, but i'm with u that I like DDs more for general music listening due to their more organic signature and timbre.

I agree I've not heard a BA that beats a well tuned DD in the timbre aspect. But you would be surprised that some pure BA bass can trump the DD bass on quantity and decay.
My westone 3 (3 BA setup) has more bass quantity and decay than the BLONs. I would say its bass is just a tinge shy of the TFZ no.3, which is quite a basshead IEM.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #20,244 of 31,831
DD's and BA's are always competing especially on hi-end details, but Piezo's brings out the wonders of the micro-world for a fraction of $300 US dollar plus units! :point_left::yum:...have I mentioned LZ A6 or LZ A6mini?

-Clear :wink:
Exactly. Detail retrieval isn't solely the province of BA's. (In fact, being subjective about it, I'm personally unconvinced that BA's retrieve details better than certain DD's anyhow). Piezos can do it really well, then there's other tech like ceramic/beryllium drivers, planar magnetic etc...

Anyway, point I was making (maybe there were too many!) was that I think we'll be moving on from more expensively produced/sold all-BA stuff like those from the big western names we all know. We always have to weigh up whether it's really worth jumping from one product to another expensive one. Yeah sure there's the diminishing returns factor we all know about and accept, but there's also the expectation factor, the placebo affect...is what we perceive as a 'better' performance just in our minds (most things are when you boil it down) plus there's that subjective element. Like I say, it seems to work the opposite for me. I'm invariably disappointed when i try or buy expensive IEMs. They just don't seem to perform better. That's why this thread is so good..like the Discovery thread. So, other than Blon 03, the best performer for me in terms of a great combi of realism, detail, fun, staging and timbre is IMR Zenith - and it was less than £200.

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #20,245 of 31,831
+1
In some ways we're just comparing apples and oranges here anyway. Well ... some fruits are riper than others, some still green or defective or over the hill already but to me a lot depends on a given moment and to be open to all experiences (and unexpected surprises) that may arise and more often than not I'm perfectly fine with 'lesser' gear, like e.g. my 12.50€ KZ ZSN last night ... it all depends and keeps changing all the time.
With regards to 'end game' again I'm more of a variety guy and wouldn't be too happy with a single IEM in almost the same way as I wouldn't want to listen to the same one album or eat the exact same stuff etc... however great for the rest of my life. YMMV.

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #20,246 of 31,831

i have two pure BA models that are as organic as it gets, the fullest lushest mids ever

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #20,249 of 31,831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back