Best Studio Headphones
May 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #527 of 601
Hey can anyone comment on a comparison between the "Phonon smb-02  and the Sony mdr 7520's" ?

I have, use and like the 7520's however, a trusted studio friend speaks very highly of the Phonon's. (he hasn't heard the 7520's)

Are they very much an improvement for studio mixing is what I'm curious about.
Appreciate any insights! 

May 2, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #528 of 601
Not sure how many times it's been said but IMO, HD600 would be the most natural sounding headphone unmodded.  It does so little wrong.  Only thing lacking is sub bass and there is a little shoutiness from the 3k bump.  You can do A LOT worse with 3x the money of the HD600.

May 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #529 of 601
  Hey can anyone comment on a comparison between the "Phonon smb-02  and the Sony mdr 7520's" ?

I have, use and like the 7520's however, a trusted studio friend speaks very highly of the Phonon's. (he hasn't heard the 7520's)

Are they very much an improvement for studio mixing is what I'm curious about.
Appreciate any insights! 

Couldn't you meet and listen to each other's headphones? You made me curious about the smb-02. The reviews I found are positive, but one of the laudative posts about it in the dedicated thread here on Head-Fi is by a first-time poster, which made me raise an eyebrow.

Not sure how many times it's been said but IMO, HD600 would be the most natural sounding headphone unmodded.  It does so little wrong.  Only thing lacking is sub bass and there is a little shoutiness from the 3k bump.  You can do A LOT worse with 3x the money of the HD600.

Mh, but for 3x the money, you can buy the HD800. What do you think of that one?

May 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #530 of 601

I used to have the 600's. They were nice but IMO, to lush of a soundstage for the task of studio work / and getting a more true representation for mixing. Again, IMO.
As well, the closed back option makes them more versatile for studio tracking work / leakage concerns as well.

Couldn't you meet and listen to each other's headphones? You made me curious about the smb-02. The reviews I found are positive, but one of the laudative posts about it in the dedicated thread here on Head-Fi is by a first-time poster, which made me raise an eyebrow.

No my friend lives many hours away from me regarding meeting and comparing the Phonon's and Sony's.
Wish I could.  

I'm betting someone around here has compared both though?

May 3, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #532 of 601

If you're talking about mixing, compensating for a lacking sub bass will give you a bass heavy mix. Even more so for the HD800. 

Headphones I've tested with a very flat frequency response: Audioquest Nighthawk, Oppo PM-1

Tyll called the PM-3 probably the most neutral headphone he's ever heard but I haven't tested it.  

May 4, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #534 of 601
Jun 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #535 of 601
any reason the gmp 8.5d not included in that short list as a fourth option?
cheaper than the rest, looks like i might get it if it's a good replacement for nearfield monitors (cant use in apartment)
if for some reason the sony 7520s are better than the 8.5d i guess i would get those instead i think

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #537 of 601
Gotta admit, I'm new in this town and I'm totally lost between options, and my needs are a bit specific: I want to use Linux (probably Kubuntu 16.04, or some special audio production distro) for Renoise DAW, so I need an DAC/AMP with over the ear headphones, suitable for studio use (production), with good drivers (meaning low latency without clicks and pops).

Need nothing too fancy and let's say my whole budget for DAC/AMP and headphones is around 400 EUR.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #539 of 601
PM3 has a very pleasing sound but is no were near a studio monitor.  It's made for relaxed listening for casual listeners.  DT880 is a great option with more linear bass and a revealing treble  They were my first headphone and I feel like they are only outdone by my HE-6 for critical mixing/mastering.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #540 of 601
PM3 has a very pleasing sound but is no were near a studio monitor.  It's made for relaxed listening for casual listeners.  DT880 is a great option with more linear bass and a revealing treble  They were my first headphone and I feel like they are only outdone by my HE-6 for critical mixing/mastering.  

Really? :rolling_eyes: You comparing an Ortho with an old dynamic semi-open Beyer? You own a PM?
Definitly wrong statement about the PM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back