Best Studio Headphones
Apr 12, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #556 of 601
MattKelly,

In response to your question regarding comparison of the M70X, 7520, PM-3 for your needs, subjective but personal preference & maybe bias but the PM 3 would be a good choice.

I own the PM 3 but have tried the other two extensively in a similiar situation to what you require (mine is sound monitoring).

By the way, have you tried any of the three headphones you're interested in as close to a realistic demo situation as you would have in your apartment as just studying the specs doesn't tell you much in the real world.

Compared to the Sony & AT, PM 3 uses a Planar Magnetic Driver hence PM which technically is a more vibrationally stable driver where sound is concerned as it requires less air to move compared to the standard dynamic driver which the other two use. In a real world sense, this means there is a sense of more accuracy and detail, not to mention if you have a good source, especially in gaming, you can respond to your surroundings more quickly and accurately. For example, say your response time in a FPS to react to someone behind you may be a certain amount of time and you might not know where they coming at you from once you turn around but with a good headphone like the PM 3, you would know before you turn around & maybe react even before they shoot.

Also, as I didn't see anything post wise before this page, another headphone for you to consider & hopefully not confuse things for you would be the Shure 940 as in terms of your current three choices, remember subjective, it sits between the 7520 & PM 3 sound wise and will more than serve your needs for imagining & analytical detail, remember source dependant as always...

Also, good fit with IEMs are tricky, personally & this is subjective again but I use comply's in medium size for my AT E70 which I wear all day long when I'm out with no discomfort or faitgue.

Hope this helps...

PaganDL, this was just what I was looking for! Thank you so much for the helpful response. I had considered the 940's at one point, but I think that I've finally narrowed it down to the PM-3. In comparison to the M70x, I was worried that they would lack the imaging / detail that I need (due to the slight treble roll-off) but I actually don't think it will be too much of a concern. It's a planar and I'm sure the detail / layering is more than sufficient for my needs. I really appreciate the kind help - thank you again!

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #561 of 601
Hello again... Been writing a post here about half year ago. The difference now is that I have greater budget than previosly stated 400$ for studio quality headphones + DAC/AMP which is working in Linux. I'm still lost in options, but at least I realised that any of the following headphones is good choice:
Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro / DT770 / DT880
Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 / HD800S
AKG K701

Now I need to pic DAC & AMP (possibly in one, but separated is also considered), which is suitable for headphones I mentioned (feel free to suggest some other one). Keep in mind that I want to produce electronic music, mostly psytrance, but also downtempo, idm and ambient. The software I want to use is Renoise in Linux and I guess I need lowest latency possible with some decent DAC.

Please help, there are so many options... Do I need higher impedance for quality... Heard Fiio products are great...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #564 of 601
What better options do you have? I paid 139€ for my 770 back then and they are imo very good at that price range.

This is "a list of the top contenders, regardless of price," and I try not to list more than one item per brand per category. I've just updated the page so that the only Beyerdynamic now listed is the DT 1770 Pro.

That doesn't make the DT 770 Pro a bad option; not everyone can spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of studio headphones, and even people who can most often will not if their headphones are going to be used by a lot of clients, not all of them will be gentle with the material.

Please help, there are so many options...
I wish I could help, but I now live in the middle of nowhere, so I must buy to try. :moneybag:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #565 of 601
Reading many reviews around, I decided that I should go for Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro 250 Ohm. Now, onto DAC and AMP combined or separated: What is the most suitable buy while being compatible with Linux?

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #566 of 601
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #570 of 601
Thanks for the reply

So how about the best studio headphone (neutral) around $200?

Brainwavz HM5 (closed)
BeyerDynamic DT770 (closed), DT880 and DT990
AKG K550 (closed)
AKG K701
AKG K702

As for the HE560, I am not so inclined to call it neutral. I find it slightly boomy in the bass and "nasal" in the mid/treble region. I would say there is an excess around 5kHz. And I think it lacks some air on the very top. I would be very interested to see a frequency graph of this particular headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back